Saturn Sky Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This morning on the way to work a 81 Trans-Am pulled up next to me and wanted to race me, how do i know, because someone in the car yelled out "Wanna Run?"

Of course With all the crack down on street racing i did nothing but pull off normally while he went tearing off wildly...
at the next stoplight he was caught behind a Semi and i just went to the other lane and passed him and the semi, and then got back over so i could make my turn at the next light, I pulled into the turn lane, the light to turn was red, this guy whips out around the Semi, starts through the intersection flying and then turns the direction I was headed, basically running the redlight in the process...
this is at 5:30 in the morning... I just don't understand some people, do they need to prove their manhood at every stoplight? and if they get shown up do they have to act like a complete A.H.?

I really hope this does not turn into another bad thread, I just want input on what you would have done in the same situation... Street racing is Illegal and many people get killed doing it...many are innocent bystanders...
if you want to race someone, I say take it to the track...

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
Im glad the good guy won again...:thumbs: Cracks me up that you were just driving normaly and he made himself look like the a**
Again, a Sky comes out ahead...:cheers:
Way to go Skyman....:thumbs:

·
Registered
128 Posts
I havent had this happen in my sky (speaking as I dont have it yet), but I do have this happen almost everyday in my delsol (literally everyday, its annoying) and I just drive off normal, its pretty funny to see them tear off down the road. One time this happened and I told the guy okay lets run (as I noticed an undercover police car in my rearview), then the light turns green and he's off like a bat out of hell and I just start off normally and sure enough the guy got pulled over, it was hillarious because I thought to myself well that was worth it the guy looked like a total A** and got a fine for his achievements of pushing on the gas pedal. I dont understand this whole street racing thing, franlky its very stupid way too much liability involved in it (ie. traffic, pedestrians, Undercover Cop Cars, etc.) that is why they make drag strips and have what they call "midnight drags". All in all, IMO keep racing to the pros, or at a sanctioned events way too many people get killed or hurt doing it on the street.

Thats my 2 cents

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I would have done the same thing, sometimes I play with them, if you do it just right, you can make them jump the light and run through the intersection while it is still red or make them jump forward and have to back up at which time the light usually changes to green.:D I then pull away at a reqular rate of speed. It is like the staging games you play with your competition at the drag strip. Trickin them into staging first, put the longer wait on them.:thumbs:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Discussion Starter #5 (Edited)
Ernest said:
I would have done the same thing, sometimes I play with them, if you do it just right, you can make them jump the light and run through the intersection while it is still red or make them jump forward and have to back up at which time the light usually changes to green.:D I then pull away at a reqular rate of speed. It is like the staging games you play with your competition at the drag strip. Trickin them into staging first, put the longer wait on them.:thumbs:
According to the police here that is enticement (or contributing) and you can be held liable too if something happens... there are two guys sitting in jail right now because one of them revved his engine at a light and the other guy took off like he was racing him and hit another car... both were arrested...only reason both were caught was a off duty police officer was the one that was hit.....
so be careful how you "play" with them....
I usually laugh and either say you are not worth the trouble or I ignore them...
ocassionally i will run a little hard up an onramp, and then get up to the speedlimit and level off as the other car zipps out around me and goes speeding off.. but what can they do about that, i was just getting up to speed to be able to merge into traffic...

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
I have been challenged in two small towns, not in Phoenix. Up in Payson, a supercharged 71 Dodge Demon kept hounding me and tried to engage me for six or seven street lights, obviously nothing better to do on a Saturday night. I knew it was a major mismatch, and I was surprised that he did not, but I guess these cars are still too new for people to realize that they are not really hi-performance sports cars.

Maybe a few of you redline owners can take these guys down, and put it in the news (as they interview you from jail), and they will stop challenging us.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
8,861 Posts
That is so interesting..... people around these parts do the same thing.... they THINK my car will blow their doors off.... I just smile pretty and let them take off at the light...... SkyBaby-07

·
Registered
304 Posts
Couple times by Trans Ams and Corvettes, but not in a rude persistent manner. I assumed it would be the modded Civic crowd, but they've all been really cool and just ask questions and give compliments.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Revving

I've had several cars come up along side of me and rev their engines saying "Hey, wanna race" I may rev back on occasion, but then as the light changes I just go crusin off casually or sometimes turn off.

·
Registered
1,205 Posts
SkyBaby said:
That is so interesting..... people around these parts do the same thing.... they THINK my car will blow their doors off.... I just smile pretty and let them take off at the light...... SkyBaby-07
I tend to get a lot of people ask me, "Is she fast?" I just giggle and let them wonder...:lol:

·
Registered
130 Posts
My mom gets challenged to race a lot in her car (2006 Eclipse GT). I find it hilarious that anyone would want to race a 47 year old woman. Besides, she drives like 20 MPH anyway. LOL.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
My Stock answers to questions:

How fast does it go?
How fast do you want to go? :D

Wanna race?
Sure! -- know a good road course? :thumbs:

What can it do in the 1/4 mile?
It's a roadster not a dragster. :thumbs:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
My problem is with ricers. They pull up want to race and I just flip them off. They get pissed and I tell them to grow the F--- up. Then they get out of their car wanting to whip some ass. And I drive off, as the lite turns. Gotta love all the idiots out there that take offense at being flipped off for something that they started. Screwy ricers. As if that spoiler is going to have any effect at 80 or even a 100 mph. what a waste. ...Skip.....:) :) :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Not yet . .

I haven't been challenged yet and I would react in a manor that is fitting to the SKY. I'll ignore the idots and just cruise off when it's my turn - oh, I might give 'em a grin but hey, I'm grinning in the car all the time anyway.

Plus, as has been stated here already - it's a ROADSTER

:D

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
yeah have had the same thing with tuner cars I just smile and wave.Have nothing to proove, great looking car, plenty of get up and go for me and it makes me feel cool, if I can use that word:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
belletire said:
Couple times by Trans Ams and Corvettes, but not in a rude persistent manner. I assumed it would be the modded Civic crowd, but they've all been really cool and just ask questions and give compliments.

same here. It always seems to be the guys with the cars that would stomp on this car. Its probably a good thing everyone is backing down from these races (due to safety) but it bugs me that even if I wanted to, I could not race to many of these guys out there (on a sanctioned track) for I really don't like the smell of other peoples exhaust. :D

Haven't had a single problem with the tuner crowd, its all been vettes, stangs... etc. and I think your right, people just don't know much about the Sky yet, so they think its fast based on its looks but little do they know, looks can be very deceiving.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
When I was on the first PCH Sky Run, I noticed all sorts of cars that would rev there engines up, or go slow to let the traffic get ahead of them, then step on it. Or some of them would intentionally get "in line with us".

I guess if your ego is so wrapped up in your car that you spent several thousand dollars trying to get a Honda Civic to look cool. Then having a Sky pull up to you blow you out of the water appearance wise, you would want to do something not feel so inadequate. :D

Quite frankly I do not get the Tuner/Ricer thing.

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
Skip said:
My problem is with ricers. They pull up want to race and I just flip them off. They get pissed and I tell them to grow the F--- up. Then they get out of their car wanting to whip some ass. And I drive off, as the lite turns. Gotta love all the idiots out there that take offense at being flipped off for something that they started. Screwy ricers. As if that spoiler is going to have any effect at 80 or even a 100 mph. what a waste. ...Skip.....:) :) :thumbs:
Atta boy SKIP, SKIP FER PREZIDENT:thumbs:

1 - 20 of 47 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.