Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
A friend of mine, who has driven a Solstice, seemed to be telling me that all the roof issues haven't been worked out yet. She said something about the roof being loose.

She only got a short time to drive the car. She said in general she liked it though. I don't remember everything she said because she was handing me Solstice stuff at the time and my mind was on another planet. :D

·
Registered
18 Posts
We had one at our store 4 days ago. I can not lie, I liked it alot. But its no sky. The Solstice look cheaper in every way. Its the poor mans sky. I did notice the lid for the rag top didnt sit very nice, what i mean is, when the top is down and the lid is in place, it doesn't sit flush with the rest of the cars panels. I hope the sky doesnt have that problem. That being said, no one else that saw the car seemed to care or nit pic.

oh and i never drove it. The owner of the store did and he liked it.
( he owns a pontiac store and a saturn saab store )

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well with 6 months to work out problems and test solutions on the Solstice I hope they can fix it to. I don't mind waiting the extra time if they can work out issues like that.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
saturn saab said:
Its the poor mans sky.
Whoooooa don't go there man. The Sky isn't really that much more upscale at all, and will really not cost that much more. The Solstice is the performance version. It's got a higher performance version of the engine, and also has a sportier tuned suspension.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
rick112 said:
Well with 6 months to work out problems and test solutions on the Solstice I hope they can fix it to. I don't mind waiting the extra time if they can work out issues like that.
Also a lot of the issues people might be seeing with tops on cars was because most of the cars going around the USA were pre-production models and not final versions. Where did this person supposedly drive the Solstice?

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
brentil said:
Also a lot of the issues people might be seeing with tops on cars was because most of the cars going around the USA were pre-production models and not final versions. Where did this person supposedly drive the Solstice?
She saw it in Vancover on a press tour. the news paper she writes for sent her there to test drive it. She didn't get a whole day with the car or anything like that and you are right, it could have been one of the pre-production models that they let the press drive around.

I didn't mean that the car could be completly redesigned or anything that radical. Just that the extra time will give GM the ability to look into problems that they have experienced with the Solstice and on the assembly line. I don't expect to see a more powerful engine or 3 extra cubic feet in the trunk. The Solstice is a good test run of the Sky's production thats all. (Thanks Pontiac).

·
Registered
623 Posts
Hopefully I'll get to drive one in the Spring when someone I know get's her Solstice. Suprised she isn't getting it sooner since her dad works at GM and was involved in the Solstice in some way.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
4,853 Posts
saturn saab said:
I did notice the lid for the rag top didnt sit very nice, what i mean is, when the top is down and the lid is in place, it doesn't sit flush with the rest of the cars panels. I hope the sky doesnt have that problem.
The guys on the Solstice forums whose cars have been delivered reported that the lid doesn't sit right if the top isn't lowered properly- you have to push it down from the middle or something. If done correctly, there's no fit issue.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
reedred said:
The guys on the Solstice forums whose cars have been delivered reported that the lid doesn't sit right if the top isn't lowered properly- you have to push it down from the middle or something. If done correctly, there's no fit issue.
The main issue also is if you don't close it with enough force it doesn't latch completely across the entire thing and can look uneven.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
In the video of the Solstice showing the roof being put on and taken down it looks like you have to use quite a bit of force.

·
Registered
202 Posts
rick112 said:
In the video of the Solstice showing the roof being put on and taken down it looks like you have to use quite a bit of force.
I think it's a safe bet it needs a solid effort to close right and tight so there is less chance of future rattles. Ever take the top down on a Corvette? I know the C5 had a pretty tight fit.

·
Registered
554 Posts
Like any car with tight seals, it needs a little wear in time to close easier. Just be careful to fully push the top down into the trunk though. If you don't, the decklid will hit the center portion of the top and start to leave a mark on it.

·
Registered
46 Posts
I drove the Solstice in Detroit on 8/5 and will only say that
the car was awesome. I thought the handling was as tight
as the older 911s Targa that blessed my garage before a fire
ended its life. :mad: :mad: :mad:
The power was adequate and accelerated just perfect when trying
to jump into traffic. I think it was easier since the other cars were
slowing to see what I was driving. Just kidding, the car was everything
I had hoped for and exceeded my expectations by a wide margiin.
I am sure that anyone getting either (OR BOTH) will never regret
the decision to get one.
Solstice #240, DEEP - Loaded
Sky 1st REDLINE (if all goes according to plan)
:cheers: :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
82 Posts
brentil said:
Most reports from new owners of Solstices seem to indicate that you just have to get the technique down (closing the trunk etc.), not that there are problems with the car.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts