Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Maybe this is old news talked to death, but it is new to me.

I bought my Sky last January. The car has earned the name "Money Pit" because of the mild restoration I am performing on the car. One of it's issues was a defective power mirror control switch, or so I thought. I had to hold down the mirror selection switch while adjusting either mirror. I bought a new OEM switch and was shocked to learn I still had the problem. So then I removed the switch from the door panel and everything worked fine. It turns out the black glossy trim piece that the control switch snaps into, has the oval hole made TOO SMALL. After time, money, and frustration, I learned the solution is to file both ends of the oval hole just a tad bit longer. I used a round file of nearly the same radius. It still looks great even though some of the nice rounded lead-in was sacrificed, a small trade-off for properly working mirrors.

That was a big GM boo boo. I wonder how that got past quality control. It is obvious the problem existed right off the assembly line.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
It's a first for me too, but I am glad you found it.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe GM caught it quickly and addressed it before too many more Skys left the factory.

My 2007 Sky was built in April 2006.

·
Super Moderator
5,878 Posts
Maybe GM caught it quickly and addressed it before too many more Skys left the factory.

My 2007 Sky was built in April 2006.
More likely, it was just a ad part from the supplier.

Mine was built in February of 2006.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
More likely, it was just a bad part from the supplier. Mine was built in February of 2006.
Yes, maybe just a flawed escutcheon plate.

I found numerous oddities during this mild restoration project. Strange things took place during the previous 120,000 miles, 3 previous owners, two states (Florida & Georgia) and 13 years. This car really needed a lot of TLC to bring it back to it's former glory. I am feeling dang close now. I can "taste" success.

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I have been a member for about 4 years and have a vague recollection of this coming up ONCE before, but its not any every car event. Could have been just a switch anomaly.

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
If it is a switch anomaly, then my original and my new OEM-GM switch are both anomalies.

·
Registered
4 Posts

I bought my Sky last January. The car has earned the name "Money Pit" because of the mild restoration I am performing on the car. One of it's issues was a defective power mirror control switch, or so I thought. I had to hold down the mirror selection switch while adjusting either mirror. I bought a new OEM switch and was shocked to learn I still had the problem. So then I removed the switch from the door panel and everything worked fine. It turns out the black glossy trim piece that the control switch snaps into, has the oval hole made TOO SMALL. After time, money, and frustration, I learned the solution is to file both ends of the oval hole just a tad bit longer. I used a round file of nearly the same radius. It still looks great even though some of the nice rounded lead-in was sacrificed, a small trade-off for properly working mirrors.

That was a big GM boo boo. I wonder how that got past quality control. It is obvious the problem existed right off the assembly line.
If it is a switch anomaly, then my original and my new OEM-GM switch are both anomalies.

i guess you must remove door panel and switch and you file hole ad reinstall switch how much bigger should hole be

·
Registered
500 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes, you need to first remove the door panel. I had the hardest time disconnecting the switch from the wire harness. Wrestling with that connector to unlatch it, the switch pops out of the door plate.

I filed not more than 1/16" material away on both ends of the oval opening. It's not much.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts