Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone seen these headlights in action. I love projector bulbs, but my question is it like the high end projectors that have a blueish tint (a la infiniti) or the low end projectors that have a yellowish tint (a la old integra) I've always liked the blue tinted headlights, Right now my cheap looking prelude has haligens one blue one yellow, (ran out of money and still haven't replaced the yellow one lol)

·
Registered
141 Posts
The blue tint in question is HID, or high intensity discharge bulbs. Instead of working like a regular incandescent bulb which passes electricity through a tungsten filament suspended in halogen, xenon, etc..., it uses a spark through gas to create light. The result is the instant-on effect, rather than fading on and off as a regular filament heats up/cools down, and light that is a much higher color temperature (bluer). HID systems require an electronic ballast to step the normal 12v car electricity up to the thousands of volts needed to create the spark in an HID bulb, and they require projectors to keep the light contained so that it doesn't blind other drivers.

The sky does NOT have HID, although I can see this being an option in the future, and I'm sure enthusiasts will install aftermarket HIDs in their skies. This usually costs around $800 to do.

You can approximate the look of HIDs with color-correction coated bulbs. Be careful what you buy though, because quality is important and you get what you pay for. Cheap aftermarket bulbs look green or blue, and don't provide as much light. Nice bulbs like Sylvania SilverStars (google this) or PIAAs will have a near-HID color temperature and be brighter than halogen.

·
Registered
141 Posts
It's also worth noting that there is no such thing as a projector bulb; projector headlights are just headlights that have a lens and a mask in the housing with a regular bulb behind that; they are superior because they focus the light downward as not to blind other drivers and they look cool.

·
Registered
328 Posts

·
Registered
250 Posts
You should also take heed that if you change the bulbs you "may" have to adjust the height of the lights to avoid giving off an excessive amount of glare to on-coming traffic. The ballast bulb kits are also availble for under 500.00 bucks and take only a short amount of time to install.

I've not seen anything concerning the projected light pattern or if it has the necessary shield to prevent glare. All these things will undoubtedly come up when the car is in our hands.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Isn't the 3rd tailight LED?

·
Registered
750 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
sky_vue said:
You should also take heed that if you change the bulbs you "may" have to adjust the height of the lights to avoid giving off an excessive amount of glare to on-coming traffic. The ballast bulb kits are also availble for under 500.00 bucks and take only a short amount of time to install.

I've not seen anything concerning the projected light pattern or if it has the necessary shield to prevent glare. All these things will undoubtedly come up when the car is in our hands.
Where can I get em. I love blue lights.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Finally, some nice high-res, non PR photos! Many thanks for uploading these, if anyone else has some, please put them up!

I'm disappointed that the left and right vents are dummy vents (the mesh is fake and is actually solid plastic beneath). I predict many people will bust this out and replace it with real mesh. I'm also disappointed that the front turn/marker lights don't have chrome bulb covers like the marker light in the composite headlight. I'm replacing them with silverstars as soon as I get it.

I assume that since they were on along with the headlights, the extra small bulb in the composite housing is a marker, right? I thought markers had to be yellow...

fkeillor said:

·
Registered
328 Posts
loyal_SL2 said:
I'm disappointed that the left and right vents are dummy vents (the mesh is fake and is actually solid plastic beneath). I predict many people will bust this out and replace it with real mesh. I'm also disappointed that the front turn/marker lights don't have chrome bulb covers like the marker light in the composite headlight. I'm replacing them with silverstars as soon as I get it.
I thought they were real too. It would be an easy fix ...

·
Registered
110 Posts
"I'm disappointed that the left and right vents are dummy vents (the mesh is fake and is actually solid plastic beneath). I predict many people will bust this out and replace it with real mesh. "
If Saturn saw no reason for functional vents, then neither do I. I wouldn't
start messing around with air flow characteristics unless I was certain that
I knew what the result would be. You are also making the car non-standard by modifying them. However, being anything but consistent, I would paint the silver strip behind the driver that borders the decklid - I'd paint it to match the body color. It looks real good when you preview it in a Photoshop
program.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts