Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was in a meeting today and I have a fron view of a Silver Pearl Sky as my wallpaper on my notebook - at the end of the meeting as a couple folks got up to leave they stopped and asked what is that - told them it was a Saturn Sky - yes a Saturn Sky - and only $26,000 fully equipped, no really $26,000 - they had seen the Pontiac Solstice.

·
Registered
517 Posts
While out driving my sky today I stopped at the Pontiac dealer. There was a black solstice sitting in front and I pulled my sky up close to it. I compared the cars and the styling and I got to tell you in my opinion the solstice doesnt compare to the sky not in any way. If the sky wasnt available, I still wouldnt own a solstice. Cute but not the best doggone looking car in the world.

·
Premium Member
2,686 Posts
:lol: There was an older gentleman looking at my car last week and he said it best."Comparing one of them there Solstices to this here SKY is like comparing a T-Bone Steak to a hamburger patty." We all had a great laugh.:jester:

·
Registered
517 Posts
The solstice I looked at today had a market adjustment of 5000.00! They called it the "ebay adjustment" In that case just buy it on ebay, more choices!

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
HotSky said:
While out driving my sky today I stopped at the Pontiac dealer. There was a black solstice sitting in front and I pulled my sky up close to it. I compared the cars and the styling and I got to tell you in my opinion the solstice doesnt compare to the sky not in any way. If the sky wasnt available, I still wouldnt own a solstice. Cute but not the best doggone looking car in the world.
Yeah, from the pictures I have seen of the two together, Pontiac sure screwed up the design. The Sky is definitely the belle of the ball!:D

·
Registered
295 Posts
TexSon said:
Yeah, from the pictures I have seen of the two together, Pontiac sure screwed up the design. The Sky is definitely the belle of the ball!:D

I have been holding this in for a while, since there are alot of Sol owners on this board, but I agree totally. The Sky blows the Sol AWAY, WAY away! The Sol is closer to a Miata to me. (all Sol owners, please direct flames to -> [email protected])

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
TexSon said:
I think its hard to say they screwed it up -- I mean thankfully it is much more simple than the Sky, making our design that much more distinct. I'm sure some people prefer the more rounded Sol, but we all clearly like the sharp lines of the Sky.

We should be thankful for the Sol though, they did pave the way for us, provide us with lots of information and experience from the Sol forum and were nice ginnea pigs to work out some of the kinks in the production line.

Cheers Sol bruthers.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Each man to his own taste, said the farmer when he kissed the cow. Skip...:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I, for one, am glad that GM decided on having sharp contrasts in the exteriors of the Solstice and Sky. Not only does it give people a choice between a rounded look versus sharp lines, but I think it makes for great competition between the two manufacturers. Just imagine if they would have made them look more alike...what would be the point? Kinda like how Ford and Mercury have basically the same cars, just different name badges. At least you can tell the difference between a Sky and Sol...no question about it. :cheers:

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Come on guys, you throw hissy fits when Solstice owners say one bad thing about the Sky, so how about trying to not diss the Solstice if you don't want them saying the same things about your cars.

Personally I don't appreciate it especially since you all know I own a Solstice. :brentil:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
brentil said:
Come on guys, you throw hissy fits when Solstice owners say one bad thing about the Sky, so how about trying to not diss the Solstice if you don't want them saying the same things about your cars.

Personally I don't appreciate it especially since you all know I own a Solstice. :brentil:
I am glad you said something --Solstice did not do anything wrong -- or make a bad car or an ugly car -- they made a car that appeals to those who purchased it.... We like Sky, that is why we are buying one. I bet there are a bunch of Solstice owners who say, "Oh the Sky -- nice car but not as good as my Soltice." Don't bother me -- hell, both are kick ass funmobiles.

·
Registered
256 Posts
HotSky said:

To be honest, I didn't like the Solstice very much. My mother-in-law was going to buy one but I wasn't impressed. I just don't like the front end all that much. I'm sure it's a fine car but the SKY caught my eye.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
I am glad you said something --Solstice did not do anything wrong -- or make a bad car or an ugly car -- they made a car that appeals to those who purchased it.... We like Sky, that is why we are buying one. I bet there are a bunch of Solstice owners who say, "Oh the Sky -- nice car but not as good as my Soltice." Don't bother me -- hell, both are kick ass funmobiles.

:agree: I, for one, am glad that GM decided to make two completely different appearing cars. They appeal to different people and, bottom line, if they increase GM's sales, (if you believe the news) the company needs it now.

·
Registered
389 Posts
I think both the Sky and Sol are very sharp cars. I picked the Sky because it appealed to my tastes more and because it is a Saturn and I have been very impressed with my current SC2. But I gotta tell ya, if the Sky didn't exist I would probably be buying a Sol! A friend of mine ordered a Sol the same week my image went in and I am very excited about seeing her Sol, which will probably get here sooner than mine.

I haven't seen a Sol out on the streets here in Little Rock yet. Yesterday I was driving downtown and would see roadsters in the distance and get excited but upon closer inspection, ahhh just another miata...lol.

·
Registered
517 Posts
brentil said:

I am sorry for giving my opinion on the solstice. I guess I should have paid attention to what my mama said. "If you dont have something good to say, say nothing at all" Actually she said "If you dont have something good to say, keep your big mouth shut" Sorry again, I should have been more sensitive.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
brentil said:
True, we do react over here when things are said about the SKY there and elsewhere on the net... however, one thing I have noticed though is moderators don't usually jump in at SolForum when they bash or give "constructive criticism" about the SKY like is done here.

I do think comments about how we feel the looks are different are fine as long as they are not aimed at any persons mentality, personality or taste. If it is directed at the car, and not the people that purchase them or like them... then it doesn't cross the line in my eyes.

·
Registered
308 Posts
I like the Solstice with the exception of the front end. The rounded lines don't bother me and the clean lines are nice. The new GXP has a better looking nose, and I wouldn't be surprised to see this on future sols.

I prefer the more aggressive look of the SKY and also like the interior better. These differences turned me from a tire kicker into a SKY owner! I like the styling better than a vette or any of the competition.

Solstice was my 2nd choice.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
I looked at the Solstice, reminded my of my mother's car, which I liked, but it also reminded me..not that they are the same or look the same, and it is inexplicable...but proof of all the subjective reasons we each choose cars that we do....but it reminded me of the old used TR7 I purchased when 23, which one week after I bought it, rear axle broke on Interstate....nothing like happily driving up the highway on a Saturday , Suddenly being spun around and your going up the highway still, only backwards, and hey, towards the guardrail, and then front in comes up and over...and I am landing upside down, with the windshield RESTIng on guardrail. I crawled (carefully) out of that one. Very lucky. Even went on to work.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Sky RL is my first choice.. Sky is my second choice :)

Solstice is a nice car too, but I prefer many aspects of the Sky..

To the original post... I had been telling my brother and girlfriend about the Sky for over 6 months, how nice it looked, how I wanted one, etc...

Well this past Saturday we went to an Auto Show(1st Annual) in Fresno, and they had a Sky there.

Girlfriend "This is the Sky? Wow it is alot nicer than the pictures!"
Brother "Yeah we gotta get one."

The response from the crowd was pretty amazing too... It was right next to a new Z06 and there was no bad comments about either!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts