Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can anyone tell me if they know if the heads up display is an option on this car, as my sister has a SOL & when she ordered hers they asked her if she wanted it, not sure if her sales rep knew what he was talking about or not as most don't. I realise it's a minor feature, but would like to know if in fact it is available because it's awesome. My boyfriend bought a Z06 Vette last year and it was standard feature on it & it's truly amazing while you drive you never have to look down at your speedometer because it's on the window. I know I am probably wishful thinking as there is quite a price difference between his car and the SKY, but I just wanted to check.

·
Registered
248 Posts
Hud

I see no entry for a HUD on the available options listing ... for either the Sky or the Solstice

·
Registered
67 Posts
It's not a listed option, but it would be nice. My Grand Prix has a HUD, shows speed, when I need gas, a couple of radio things.... I never haver to look down to change the radio station ot know how fast I'm going.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thank You

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
It's never come up in conversation before. And if it isn't an option on the Solstice I doubt it will be on the Sky.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
the dealer said it was an option for her, although that is not true.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
That would be kool and I'd take it if it was but I've never heard anyone talk about that. I've driven in a Solstice and never saw it there either.

·
Registered
802 Posts
Chloe said:
Can anyone tell me if they know if the heads up display is an option on this car, as my sister has a SOL & when she ordered hers they asked her if she wanted it, not sure if her sales rep knew what he was talking about or not as most don't. I realise it's a minor feature, but would like to know if in fact it is available because it's awesome. My boyfriend bought a Z06 Vette last year and it was standard feature on it & it's truly amazing while you drive you never have to look down at your speedometer because it's on the window. I know I am probably wishful thinking as there is quite a price difference between his car and the SKY, but I just wanted to check.
GM had a heads up display in one or two Cadillacs about 1982. They were made special for the president of GM at the time. GM had just purchased Hughes Aircraft/Electronics and it was just to impress upper management.
This is the same time they came out with the Solar car that won the Austrailian outback race. No further HUD's after that (too expensive), like having a HDTV in your winshield. The HUD in the F18 was smaller than it.
I could be that they are reflecting an image unto the surface of the windshield which isn't a first, as the 1955 Ford had a reflected speedometer at night. (It was nice)
Although if price is no object it can certainly be done, but is it worth it?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
There is no HUD option, and no known planned one.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Than why was my sister offered it when she ordered her car? Even when we picked it up 4 weeks ago the guy said it could have been ordered for an additional cost & will be a standard option on the 2007's & thought it would definitly be available to me since I bought the SKY and she bought a black 06' Sol.

·
Registered
54 Posts
In the early to mid 90s a friends family had a Pontiac Bonneville that had the speedometer and a few other things reflected onto the windshield. You could turn it on or off. Sounds like HUD to me, but it could have been called something different. It was sort of neat. Basically a digital reflection. I don't believe it would be very expensive to do this at all; a few mirrors, lens, that's it (definitely not as expensive as HDTV). Anyway, it was OK, nothing to write home about. Just wanted to set the record straight that it was on other cars than Cadys AND it was not a very expensive option at all (this family couldn't have afforded it if it was), and this was over 10 years ago. One of those fads ya know? About the same time as the digital speedometers instead of the good old guages that we all know and love.

·
Registered
357 Posts
My wife's 2000 Grand Prix GT Sedan had it as an option (called EyeCue Head's Up Display/HUD). It was also available on the Bonneville SSEi and GXP, Corvette & XLR, Aztek and Rendezvous. It's a real shame GM didn't do more with this option. The wife and I really liked it in the GP.

·
Registered
802 Posts
foolintherain76 said:
In the early to mid 90s a friends family had a Pontiac Bonneville that had the speedometer and a few other things reflected onto the windshield. ..................
Not a real HUD as I have seen the real thing..embedded into the windshield (don't recall if it was active matrix or lcd) but there were very few (real ones) made. Reflected displays have been around for a long time. (ref) 1955 Ford Fairlane

Infared for Hummer available (not real HUD though)
http://www.nightdriver.com/how_it_works.html

·
Registered
80 Posts
I don't see that on the Saturn web site, and my dealer doesn't know anything about it either. I know the Corvette has one.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Take a look at the Saturn site. There is no HUD! It isn't an option. I was never offered it. And know one else here seems to have been offered it. I'd say your sales person made a mistake!

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Chloe said:
Than why was my sister offered it when she ordered her car? Even when we picked it up 4 weeks ago the guy said it could have been ordered for an additional cost & will be a standard option on the 2007's & thought it would definitly be available to me since I bought the SKY and she bought a black 06' Sol.
You're probably mixing up the DIC with a HUD. The car has a Drivers Information Center which is not a HUD. The DIC is an LCD screen below the tach that displays info. A HUD is a device that displays information reflected on the windshield.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
brentil said:
You're probably mixing up the DIC with a HUD. The car has a Drivers Information Center which is not a HUD. The DIC is an LCD screen below the tach that displays info. A HUD is a device that displays information reflected on the windshield.

My bf's vette has the HUD it's amazing & I want it on my SKY~ lol

·
Registered
669 Posts
brentil said:
I test drove VIN #400 today in Beaumont and it was a little difficult to see the DIC. I had to move the steering wheel up. Made me wish they'd put the stuff in the center like on the ION...just an idea.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts