Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This was triggered by a thread on the Sol forum and having written it up over there, I thought you Sky folks might want to know this too...

The issue of burnt-out backlight bulbs on the heating & A/C controller is likely going to start to happen to a number of Solsticii and Skys out there as they begin to age. Although they are replaceable, these bulbs are NOT dealer-servicable parts and don't seem to show up on any parts fiche's. If you have this issue and take it to a dealer, they'll want to simply replace the whole controller at beaucoup $$$'s!

After rooting through my storeroom to find my spare Heat/AC controller and pulling it apart, I took these photos and measurements to give folks more info on the bulbs.

First, to get to the controller, you'll have to remove your dash (plenty of info on how to do that elsewhere on the forum). The controller is then attached to the back of the panel with four 7mm hex-head screws.

Once it's out, then you'll need to lever out the back of the controller, which is held in with 10 clip-tabs: 4 top and bottom and one on each side. See photo 1 and the yellow arrows indicating the 4 at the top...

Once that's off, the backs of the bulb carriers are shown in photo 2 inside the blue circles. 1/4 turn counter-clockwise and pull out - reverse to re-install. Once you've replaced the busted bulbs and want to put the back back on, make sure you align the fan speed knob arm with the switch arm (red circles) or you'll have no fan control :)

Finally, I still don't know what a correct replacement bulb is. So, photo 3 shows the dimensions of the bulb and its carrier, along with (measured) filament resistance and current. If someone finds an exact replacement, please add the details to this thread! Note: these bulbs have no tint or colored caps (unlike many other backlight bulbs in the car) so the color comes from the controller knobs themselves. [At least, this is true for the Solstice. I assume it's also true for the Sky.]

Attachments

·
Registered
18,475 Posts
Is this a practical?
Are You trying to confuse me?
Is this a Solstice thing?
Don't bring it over here! :nono:

Are u trying to give me anticipatory anxiety? :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
Lmao,
Old timer fight.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I think the difference between the two Kappas Heat/AC Controllers is that the Sky has 3 chrome rings around the knobs, am I correct?
The differences are certainly only cosmetic. Saturn has gloss black knobs and amber backlights, Sol has satin black knobs and red lighting. The light filter (color) is also part of the knobs.

I think the chrome rings are part of the dash, not the controller.

·
Premium Member
1,087 Posts
So GM wants to sell you the part in the bottom half of photo #2?.. just to fix a bad bulb?!? :eek:

·
7,067 Posts
The differences are certainly only cosmetic. Saturn has gloss black knobs and amber backlights, Sol has satin black knobs and red lighting. The light filter (color) is also part of the knobs.

I think the chrome rings are part of the dash, not the controller.
Your absolutely correct TS, its the control buttons that are different (Sky Piano Black/ Solstice Flat Black appearance on surface).

Picture below:
Is the black base part of the lamp when you buy them or do you instal the lamp onto this base?

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
So GM wants to sell you the part in the bottom half of photo #2?.. just to fix a bad bulb?!? :eek:
Yes - but actually the whole part in photo 1 (or 2).

Is the black base part of the lamp when you buy them or do you instal the lamp onto this base?
(If you can find it) you buy the whole thing - bulb envelope mounted in black base (x3). What is shown is what came out of my spare controller.

We've found similar bulbs - just don't know if they are the same (correct) power...

·
7,067 Posts
(If you can find it) you buy the whole thing - bulb envelope mounted in black base (x3). What is shown is what came out of my spare controller.

We've found similar bulbs - just don't know if they are the same (correct) power...

They have them in blue! :eek:
Now I need to find my extra HVAC controls and take it apart! :willy:
TS please let me know what type of bulb they are when you find out.. Thanks!

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
OK, iLux over on the other forum has found a bulb that apparently fits and is of the correct brightness. It's a Toyota bulb, Toyota part number: 90011-11050.

·
7,067 Posts
OK, iLux over on the other forum has found a bulb that apparently fits and is of the correct brightness. It's a Toyota bulb, Toyota part number: 90011-11050.
Thanks TS for the hard work locating this stuff, I was able to scope one down in blue, it's only a blue cap... :confused:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks TS for the hard work locating this stuff, I was able to scope one down in blue, it's only a blue cap... :confused:
I may be confused (it happens) but a blue bulb shining through an amber knob is gonna be some sh.. ugly greeny-brown color. :ack:

·
Registered
4,310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Did you change the light bulbs to blue? How did they come out?
Note that he said...

Oppps, Didn't think of that TS! :banghead:
Sorry, their will be no blue installment for me.....
Since this thread was written, though, I found that you can remove the amber (or red in a solstice) filters behind the knob faces pretty easily. That means that you CAN (if you want) change the colors to red/green/blue/white/yellow etc.

See here for details on removing the filters (note you'll have to be logged in to see the photos): Info: Change backlight colors on A/C knobs

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks!, I already installed blue LED's and I'm going to remove the amber filter so they can be brighter blue.
I already changed the main gauges that I designed and Black Cat made them for me.
Although I had to add a red LED and to the center so they can light up the same way as my Glowshift Gauges.

·
Registered
252 Posts
https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00BHGUPO2

0015449794 Mercedes Bulb 12v-1.2w Blue R129 W140 W170 W202 W210 C220 E320 By Osram pack of 6

These may work as well. I used them to replace the HVAC control panel bulbs in my 2003 Vue.

The "blue" remark in the description refers to the fact the plastic base is a light blue color. The bulb is clear white.

·
Super Moderator
11,617 Posts
Thanks!, I already installed blue LED's and I'm going to remove the amber filter so they can be brighter blue.
I already changed the main gauges that I designed and Black Cat made them for me.
Although I had to add a red LED and to the center so they can light up the same way as my Glowshift Gauges.
May want to talk to you about how you did LEDs in the center console HVAC controls. May be changing my dash lighting...

·
Registered
252 Posts
May want to talk to you about how you did LEDs in the center console HVAC controls. May be changing my dash lighting...
I'm interested in knowing how as well. If I have to remove my dash pad to change IP bulbs I'd like to do them all at once and with something that should last as long as I do!

1 - 20 of 28 Posts