Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 71 Posts

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I might have a problem, and then I might not. Ever since I have had my Sky, I have noticed that when I move the temperature knob on the dash, the air gets hot, not warm but downrite hot. After a few minutes I turn it back off and then back on. It seems that the knob works an actuater on the mixed air flap. I think mine is maladjusted. Does yalls do that too?...Skip...:):D:)

·
Premium Member
348 Posts
Not here. I have used the temp. knob quite frequently and haven't had that issue.

·
Registered
5,438 Posts
When mine is on full hot, the vent near my left hand will burn me pretty bad.........it is ultra hot. But I am able to give it a gradual mixture of air from a range between hot and cold.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
No problem here. But, I don't use the heater very often and when I do, I turn it on full heat till the car warms up and then turn it off. Here on the Gulf Coast I don't need heat much except for early in the morning.

·
Premium Member
1,130 Posts
Heating in the Sky could be likened to a flamethrower. On max, the panels around the vents get too hot to touch. I've only used max heat when I've got the top down and the weather turns cold.

Usually I've got the heat on 1 or 2 clicks past center, and even then the car spits out really hot air. I often end up having to alternate between AC and heat on long trips in the winter.

Is that what your car is doing Skip? No setting between off and high, but it has a full range from high to insane?

·
Registered
1,072 Posts
I like it:) It's good for heating up a little dinner when your out cruising in the toolies.:jester:

·
Registered
173 Posts
I just went for a drive with the top down in 39 degree weather. It took more than 10 minutes for the heater to really come up to temperature. When the engine is completely warmed up, the air coming out of the heater is very hot. At full blast, it's just enough to make you feel comfortable at 60 mph in 39 degree weather. Of course, the top half of my head was frozen, but I don't use it much.

Maybe you just need to give the engine more time to warm up.

·
Registered
6,169 Posts
No problem here, first of all I don't think the heat needs to be really hot due to the fact that you are heating a small area, I usally crack the window open anyway for air...Even when I'm in the Maxima, I turn the heat control down because it is too damn HOT!:mad:...dont feel bad, the heat in my Postal Truck died today:banghead::rolleyes: Long Life Vehicles..Yeah Right!:D

·
Super Moderator
6,183 Posts
There have been cases of the control getting out of calibration, and there is a procedure for re-calibrating it. I don't have a link to it, so you will have to search here and on the Sol forum.

·
Super Moderator
6,183 Posts
The procedure provided, i think by Small Dealer :
Actuator Recalibration
When replacing an air temperature, mode, recirculation actuator or the HVAC control assembly, the following calibration process needs to be performed:

Important: Do not adjust any controls on the HVAC control assembly during self-calibration. If interrupted, improper HVAC performance will result.

1) Turn ON the ignition with the engine OFF.

2) Turn the Temperature dial all the way to the right.

3) Turn the blower control dial all the way to the right.

4) Turn the mode position dial all the way to the left.

5) Simultaneously press and hold the A/C and Defrost buttons until the LED's start to flash.

6) Once the LED's stop flashing, calibration is complete.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thank you John. Mine with just two clicks towards hot is too hot. I have never got it to the middle position. Just two clicks and it is toasty. I will try the calibration tomorrow...Skip....:):D:)

·
Premium Member
331 Posts
I can verify the info posted by JRinKY. This is the procedure is listed step-by-step in the 2008 Sky/Soltice Service Manual @ page 10-86

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
The procedure provided, i think by Small Dealer :
Effectively this calibration moves the air mix door to the position it should be at in the extreme open position versus mine which is wide open at two clicks....Skip...:):D:)

·
Premium Member
1,565 Posts
Effectively this calibration moves the air mix door to the position it should be at in the extreme open position versus mine which is wide open at two clicks....Skip...:):D:)
My heat is usually pretty hot also. The button never even hits the middle mark between hot/cold, its usually about two clicks before in the cold position and I am someone that gets cold easily.

Let us know how it works out for you Skip!

·
Registered
48 Posts
I figured they set it up this way on purpose, so you could keep the top down in colder temps. I know it keeps me warm enough to run top down in the 40's. With the top up, a quick run at full heat and then a quick turn down 2 clicks to the left of center, so I don't cook.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
My heat is usually pretty hot also. The button never even hits the middle mark between hot/cold, its usually about two clicks before in the cold position and I am someone that gets cold easily.

Let us know how it works out for you Skip!
Tried the calibration idea and it worked. It is amazing that the electronics on this Sky will do. It went from one extreme to the other and moved all the heater and air mix doors around until it had all the perimeters inputed....Skip...Thanks :):D:)

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Calibration not in Helms

I just checked my Helms Manuals,it referneces it but the procedure is not in there so I suggest everybody print out this procedure and put it in their manual for future reference. I know I will.

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
In the old days when you had a moment in someone else's car, you would turn the radio on full blast, turn on the wipers, set the turn signal, and set the lights on high beams. Oh what a surprise when they cranked her up the next time.

Nowadays, you can do most of the above, and also change the DIC to another language, change some of the DIC settings, and with the above information in hand, totally screw up the the climate control.

:willy:

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
That is VERY GOOD information to have. It is amazing how much this little car will rethink itself.

1 - 20 of 71 Posts