Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 71 Posts

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Waayyy too hot!

My heater goes to full blast HOT just one click off of cold. I did the recalibration trick - no joy. Took it to the dealer and it turns out there is a TSB for this problem - need to add a 60 to 68.5 ohm resistor to the HVAC head unit. Quote was for $575. WTF? :mad:

I noted on the Solstice forum that a guy/gal added the resistor to circuit 1688 Pin F. If I knew where that was I'd do it since it seems to make sense that I could add the resistor inline from the fuse box/panel OR am I displaying my ignorance here since it MUST cost big bucks to add a $0.75 part.

Any advice?

·
Registered
173 Posts
My heater goes to full blast HOT just one click off of cold. I did the recalibration trick - no joy. Took it to the dealer and it turns out there is a TSB for this problem - need to add a 60 to 68.5 ohm resistor to the HVAC head unit. Quote was for $575. WTF? :mad:

I noted on the Solstice forum that a guy/gal added the resistor to circuit 1688 Pin F. If I knew where that was I'd do it since it seems to make sense that I could add the resistor inline from the fuse box/panel OR am I displaying my ignorance here since it MUST cost big bucks to add a $0.75 part.

Any advice?
Wear a jacket?

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
Did they break it out by labor hours and part?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Did they break it out by labor hours and part?
No. They did not have the part on hand but service writer quoted @ $25 for the part and $500 to $550 for labor. He said they had to get to the heater control head to add the resistor. What that entails I don't know and he wasn't sharing.
I figure there has to be an easier way to introduce the resistor into the circuit without tearing the car apart . . . maybe?

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Wear a jacket?
I can live with that but I have to live with my co-pilot who prolly won't. I can always click the temp control one click off cold, let the blast warm the cabin and click it off . . . repeat as necessary.

·
Registered
363 Posts
I figure there has to be an easier way to introduce the resistor into the circuit without tearing the car apart . . . maybe?
Black_Out said:
The front "waterfall" with the HVAC controls actually comes out pretty easy; if you can slide a spudger or something firm yet slim between it and the top of the radio, you can release the three bottom clips; then just pull forward toward yourself to release the rear clips. After that, it's just some bolts or screws (don't remember exactly) holding the HVAC unit in place, IIRC.

I should straighten something out with my head unit anyway, I'll see if I can pop that panel off and post some pics up for ya later tonight or tomorrow... when did it start getting dark so early???
Edit: Nevermind. It's not as easy as I'd remembered. I couldn't remember for sure, but I just took out the piece over the HVAC controls and now see that the bolts that hold the module in place are blocked by the entire upper dash; so it looks like the whole top dash would have to come out to gain access to the HVAC module. :banghead:

Too bad you're not closer BD, I'd offer to come over and help ya out. I'm real good at tearing stuff apart!

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Update

First off, I am sure glad I didn't pony up the @ $575 to fix my heater. For some reason, the heater control is working perfectly. Did I introduce the suspected resistance somewhere? Loose wire? Loose nut behind the wheel? At least it works as it should. It always sounded fishy to me that a $.75 part was needed to fix a problem after four years of the heater working properly without it.

TSB - that to me means that the manufacturer found a problem, came up with a fix and the owners of vehicles that the TSB effected could have the problem fixed on the manufacturers dime. Silly me!

·
Premium Member
252 Posts
I seem to have a good variable control, although on high heat I also get the left handed knuckle burn. I just redirect that vent.

·
7,051 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the heating controls on the Solstice are the same as on the Sky?
Thanks in advance......

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Can anyone tell me if the heating controls on the Solstice are the same as on the Sky?
Thanks in advance......
They should be, but I've never compared the two side by side. So, officially, I don't know. (I guess this isn't real helpful.) :dunno:

·
7,051 Posts
They should be, but I've never compared the two side by side.
Thanks Dave, The reason I ask is that ICS has the heating controls that looks just like the one on the Sky's but they have it listed for the Solstice with no mention of Sky fitment.... :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,206 Posts
To be safe I would call them on Monday and ask Mike.
LLLFLY

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
Thanks Dave, The reason I ask is that ICS has the heating controls that looks just like the one on the Sky's but they have it listed for the Solstice with no mention of Sky fitment.... :confused:
Vic,

The only difference is the trim on the knobs, AFAIK. ICS is an honorable vendor and if they say it should work, it will.

·
7,051 Posts
Vic,

The only difference is the trim on the knobs, AFAIK. ICS is an honorable vendor and if they say it should work, it will.
hehe - Dave, you know I over looked that, the chrome trim around the Sky's heat control knobs.... Thanks! :lol:

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts

·
Registered
4,185 Posts
Vic,

Prolly will work, but the Sky ones have gloss black fronts (IIRC), while the Sols' are matt/frosted black (as well as the chrome ring difference).

HOWEVER, you can pull theme apart (they clip together) and just transfer the circuit board from the Sol one to your old Sky case. Just remember to put all the knobs in the same position first on both untis (all to rightmost position, say) so the PCBs align correctly when you replace them.

Some pics here (thanks to 2kwk4u): http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/fan-speed-control-knob-stuck-between-0-2-a-72118/#post1083091

UPDATE: I found the TSB text (though not the number) here: http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/f12/c-intermittent-failure-63714/#post964737 There are also TSBs out for the Hummer, which uses the same controller: PIT4704A

·
Registered
2,923 Posts
UPDATE: I found the TSB text (though not the number) here: A/C intermittent failure - Pontiac Solstice Forum There are also TSBs out for the Hummer, which uses the same controller: PIT4704A
I thought I had posted a link to that same message, but perhaps I failed to click of the "Submit reply" button below.

Thanks TS! :dthumbs:

I was unable to find a TSB number on this one.

21 - 40 of 71 Posts