Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm happy to post i executed an 80 mile drive in some nasty rainstorms. This was highway driving around 60-65 mph. At some points it was raining so hard seeing the car in front of you was a dire challenge. I experienced no problems whatsoever with the turbo engine. Everything ran smooth as can be. The tires worked out just fine in the rain as well. I did hydroplane for about 6 feet on a straight road with not much standing water going about 45 mph. It's a heavily driven road with alot of backups during the day, so i will attribute some oil waste on the road surface causing this. Once i got into my neighborhood(making sure no kids were playing) i gunned it around a few turns to test the tires further. I did not experience any slipage or fishtailing. They get a :thumbs: approval from me. My next tire test will be in some snow, that is if any falls this winter. Even tho i'm not expecting much in snow, i still like to know all the boundries and limits of any machine i'm driving.

I still have the soot problem but at 1750 miles, I'm not seeing any substantial problems, everything has been great so far.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Did you have the traction control on or off?

·
First Picture of Production Red Line
164 Posts
Good post Pitcom! Love to hear from experienced high performace guys like yourself and Ernest!:D 900 mile on ours...doing great!...don't drive it in the rain though...and nasty cloudy days the RL is in the garage undercover:) ..highest mph...about 85?...(hubby driving on freeway)...ok..ok...I admit it...it's babied :lol:

·
Registered
166 Posts

·
Registered
18,099 Posts
whatever u do....don't drive it in the snow...it likes a warm, dry garage...and those rotors look horrible with rust on them...

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I had traction control on the entire trip. Next storm I'll take it to a safe haven and put it in competetive mode to see what it does.

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
whatever u do....don't drive it in the snow...it likes a warm, dry garage...and those rotors look horrible with rust on them...
I've got a quick fix for that:lol: But i think i'm gonna get an aftermarket set. Been looking at the ones from gravana.

·
Registered
991 Posts
Pitcom, very nice post indeed. I am so looking forward to getting mine.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I've got a quick fix for that:lol: But i think i'm gonna get an aftermarket set. Been looking at the ones from gravana.
I like the Gravana ones, but putting another $2300 in my Redline right now will have to wait.
:cool:

·
Registered
290 Posts
I've read about the "Competitive Mode" option on my someday-Redline. Is this just Traction-Control-delete or does the VVT kick-in earlier?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I've read about the "Competitive Mode" option on my someday-Redline. Is this just Traction-Control-delete or does the VVT kick-in earlier?
It only modifies the traction control.

·
Registered
153 Posts
I read on another post that there are 3 positions:
Traction control on.....
Traction control off.....
Competitive mode.......

If this is so... what is the difference between traction control off and competitive mode????:confused:

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I read on another post that there are 3 positions:
Traction control on.....
Traction control off.....
Competitive mode.......

If this is so... what is the difference between traction control off and competitive mode????:confused:
Page 199 of the manual.

Traction Control System - ON
This system limits wheel spin. The system only operates if it senses the rear wheels are spinning to much or are beginning to loose traction. When this happens, the system works the rear brakes and reduces engine power to limit wheel spin.

OFF- The system will not limit wheel spin.

Page 201
Electronic Stability Control

The ESC system combines, anti-lock brake, traction control and stability control systems and helps the driver maintain DIRECTIONAL control of the vehicle in most driving conditions.

Page 203
Competetive Driving Mode
This mode allows the driver to have FULL control of the rear wheels while the ESC system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. When Competetive mode is selected the traction control system will not be operating.

·
Registered
153 Posts
Pitcom... thanks so much for the info.:thumbs:
I'm like you in testing the limits... to a point. Been riding motorcycles most of my life and (knock on wood) still have all my body parts. Some hair missing, but age and marriage can account for most of that loss. Usually you can avoid the really bad mistakes by not doing anything your buddies do that is preceeded by "hey, watch this!!":lol: :lol:
Anyway, thanks again.:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
113 Posts
Page 199 of the manual.

Traction Control System - ON
This system limits wheel spin. The system only operates if it senses the rear wheels are spinning to much or are beginning to loose traction. When this happens, the system works the rear brakes and reduces engine power to limit wheel spin.

OFF- The system will not limit wheel spin.

Page 201
Electronic Stability Control

The ESC system combines, anti-lock brake, traction control and stability control systems and helps the driver maintain DIRECTIONAL control of the vehicle in most driving conditions.

Page 203
Competetive Driving Mode
This mode allows the driver to have FULL control of the rear wheels while the ESC system helps maintain directional control of the vehicle by selective brake application. When Competetive mode is selected the traction control system will not be operating.

Thanks for the info but can anyone interpret this for the Competitive Driving/Tech Language challenged. (-%

tino

1 - 15 of 15 Posts