Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all... :cheers:

Today we received our 2nd SKY, another Silver Pearl, Black Leather, Monsoon 6CD with XM Radio, Automatic, LSD & Chrome Wheels. I hadn't looked at the Owner's Manual but I did today and I noticed a few very interesting paragraphs. :eek:

One said "Your vehicle MAY be equipped with a Driver's Power Seat Height Adjuster, if it is the button is located on the outboard side of the bottom cushion near the front of the seat, push it UP to raise up the bottom seat cushion or push it DOWN to bring the bottom seat cushion down." :cheers:

Another one talked about TCS (Traction Control System) and ESC (Electronic Stability Control) as two SEPARATE options. Remember TCS is the simpler one, all it does is uses the ABS sensors to keep the drive tires from spinning when there is a difference in speed between Front and Rear axles. ESC is GM's StabiliTrac and is the one that will come standard on the RedLine SKY, the FULL BLOWN Directional and Traction Control. Seems to me the regular SKY will have the TCS either standard or as an option once the Wilmington Plant comes back from their July shutdown. :thumbs:

Another very interesting paragraph is the one that applies only to the RedLine SKY's ESC where you will have an option to turn ON the system on what's called "COMPETITIVE MODE" :eek: :thumbs: where the driver will have 100% control of the rear wheels but the directional control is still handled by the ESC Computer. This is similar to the system on the Corvette where some decent wheel-spin and sideways motion is ALLOWED but only to a certain degree. Pretty cool for those that want some electronic checks & balances without cutting down on the fun. Also the ESC can be completely TURNED OFF if the driver so wants.

Very interesting stuff if you ask me.

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
75 Posts
OMG......it sounds like all the goodies are coming soon!
I'm looking forward to the 260hp REDLINE!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Is that for all Sky models, Premium trim, or is it an unknown option???

·
Registered
136 Posts
wait, wtf, it MIGHT have a height adjustment? well that changes everything, I might be falling in love with the car all over again ;) I haven't seen that in any of the cars i've seen though??? (course i didn't know where to look at the time admittedly)

·
Registered
27 Posts
Just went out and checked mine...(just got it yesterday). No seat height adjustment. I do have premium interior.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
sounds to me like they updated the manual ahead of time. If the manual also has infor concerning the traction control and includes things like the adj. seat (that we know will be options on next years model) it just seems to me that they updated the book ahead of the options being available.

but... If I happen to have adj. seats when mine gets here in a couple of weeks... you will be the first to know!

·
Registered
132 Posts
It's pretty common to get the books out ahead of time with all the available options. It allows them to not have to change them once they are available. I'm hoping that there will be an easy add on to the pre-adjustable seats, but I guess that will remain to be seen.

·
Registered
554 Posts
As I posted in a previous thread, TCS and height adjusters are scheduled for mid model year. Look for the Saturn site to be updated by July as the new features will be available for cars built starting early August.

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Delnari said:
As I posted in a previous thread, TCS and height adjusters are scheduled for mid model year. Look for the Saturn site to be updated by July as the new features will be available for cars built starting early August.
With the seat adjuster I am feeling a little better about my decision to wait for BlueStone! :D

Do you think there will be a price adjustment with these new features?

·
Registered
57 Posts
Is there any chance that a kit of some type could be ordered to add the height adj. to this year's seats? Even a manual height adjust would be nice if you wouldn't have to replace the seat itself.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I wonder how effective the safety net buit into the various forms of traction control will be....assuming their is one. Give these electronic computer controlled vehicles a few years out in the real world where there in salt in the air and on the roads. Will the resulting corrosion cause malfunctions in the computer? I, for one, trust my driving skills better than those programmed into a computer. I can just visualize cars causing drivers to loose control because the chore of driving was taken out of the operators hands.

ABS were supposed to be so great. Time has shown that they do not decrease accidents....possibly because drivers rely on them too much. It has also been shown that in certain situations they actually increase the chance of an accident. Being able to lock wheels in a panic stop is sometimes the quickest way to stop in the shortest distance. This is particularly true in slow speed accidents on dry roads. Example would be in a parking lot where the "anti locking" feature can allow a vehicle to "roll" into the object you could have avoided by locking the wheels!!

·
Registered
554 Posts
richmcc said:
Do you think there will be a price adjustment with these new features?
Yep! Price increase will be announced with new features. Heck, I remember when you could buy a brand new Miata for less than $15K.

·
Registered
231 Posts
Way2Fast said:
I wonder how effective the safety net buit into the various forms of traction control will be....assuming their is one. Give these electronic computer controlled vehicles a few years out in the real world where there in salt in the air and on the roads. Will the resulting corrosion cause malfunctions in the computer? I, for one, trust my driving skills better than those programmed into a computer. I can just visualize cars causing drivers to loose control because the chore of driving was taken out of the operators hands.
The computer is not driving the car, it's there to save you when you get in over your head. The systems work very well and are testing for variability over a vehicle lifetime. If anything goes wrong with the system it will become non-functional, it won't continue to function improperly. There is tons of failsafe code with these types of systems.

ABS were supposed to be so great. Time has shown that they do not decrease accidents....possibly because drivers rely on them too much. It has also been shown that in certain situations they actually increase the chance of an accident. Being able to lock wheels in a panic stop is sometimes the quickest way to stop in the shortest distance. This is particularly true in slow speed accidents on dry roads. Example would be in a parking lot where the "anti locking" feature can allow a vehicle to "roll" into the object you could have avoided by locking the wheels!!
Wow, you have obviously never done back to back braking tests with and without ABS. ABS is extremely valuable and will yield a shorter stopping distance then locking wheels. The early-mid 1990 Delphi systems suck, so don't judge stopping distance based off of a 1993 Oldsmodible Delta 88. Today's systems are far more advanced. Locked wheels is not the fastest way to stop. Look into the slip-mu curve for any tire to find out why.

·
Registered
422 Posts
Mallard said:
Wow, you have obviously never done back to back braking tests with and without ABS. ABS is extremely valuable and will yield a shorter stopping distance then locking wheels. The early-mid 1990 Delphi systems suck, so don't judge stopping distance based off of a 1993 Oldsmodible Delta 88. Today's systems are far more advanced. Locked wheels is not the fastest way to stop. Look into the slip-mu curve for any tire to find out why.
:agree:

It was very strange to me to read the discussions on the SolForum if to buy the option ABS or not. In Germany it's nearly impossible to sell a new car without an ABS. Most of the new cars also have ESP (Electronic Stability Program) or at least Traction Control. In Germany our cars have to do a technical control every two years. If your ABS is not in function you are not allowed to drive the car any longer until you have it repaired, even if your model of car was sold without ABS.
My opinion is if you once have needed an ABS you'll never drive a car without.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Driving in snow and ice (which I will in the Sky) always requires ABS. You can actually stop on an icy road with ABS where you couldn't with out it.

So this picture is the new blue stone that won't available until when? Will this color be available if my order gets picked in in April or May of '07?:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
SKY SCRPR said:
Is there any chance that a kit of some type could be ordered to add the height adj. to this year's seats? Even a manual height adjust would be nice if you wouldn't have to replace the seat itself.
I doubt it... :nono:

Regards,

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
kit said:
Just went out and checked mine...(just got it yesterday). No seat height adjustment. I do have premium interior.
Not yet on your SKY :banghead: but it may actually be in your Owner's Manual :thumbs: .

Regards,

·
Registered
42 Posts
bradyb said:
Driving in snow and ice (which I will in the Sky) always requires ABS. You can actually stop on an icy road with ABS where you couldn't with out it.

So this picture is the new blue stone that won't available until when? Will this color be available if my order gets picked in in April or May of '07?:
No, that is midnight blue. Blue stone is very light, almost baby blue/periwinkle.

·
Registered
42 Posts
SKY Spy said:
Another very interesting paragraph is the one that applies only to the RedLine SKY's ESC where you will have an option to turn ON the system on what's called "COMPETITIVE MODE" :eek: :thumbs: where the driver will have 100% control of the rear wheels but the directional control is still handled by the ESC Computer. This is similar to the system on the Corvette where some decent wheel-spin and sideways motion is ALLOWED but only to a certain degree.
This really is becoming more and more the mini-vette :thumbs:

·
Registered
104 Posts
I doubt most people will need the ESP features except in inclement weather. I know in my Porsche or my wife's Lexus I have never seen the lights kick on once and this includes driving in SoCals famous canyon roads. I do like having it there "just in case" but won't miss it too much on my Sky.

Where it is most amazing is when driving in snowy and icy conditions and you can still maneuver the car when things get hairy.

If you are driving in a manner to actually need it on a normal dry road then you are driving your car in a VERY unsafe manner.

I think ABS is a must have on any car though. One would be crazy to skip on that option with their Solstice.

A seat height adjuster, even it was manual would have been nice to have too. Not that I have any problem seeing or being comfy at 5' 11" and short legs.

1 - 20 of 30 Posts