Saturn Sky Forum banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Good idea, Their range overs stock plus and minus a reasonable amount so you should be able to adjust to your needs. Advise against going too low if you need to crest steep driveways or speed bumps, though.
For sure! I have a rolled curb driveway but also lots of practice with the Lotus which is much lower. I definitely wont go that low but right now it looks like a monster truck.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
For sure! I have a rolled curb driveway but also lots of practice with the Lotus which is much lower. I definitely wont go that low but right now it looks like a monster truck.
It's not just the height you have to worry about. The approach angle is pretty low even at stock height.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I wonder why - are the tires that much taller than stock?

Stock tires will be in the area of 26.7" diam.

The 245x45-19 size you say you are going to use will make that worse (unless you drop height with the BCs) They are going to be around 27.7" so will raise the car half of that difference, around 1/2"

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
It's not just the height you have to worry about. The approach angle is pretty low even at stock height.
Yup - we've seen owners that can't get out of their own driveways or over extra high speed bumps at stock ride height.
(IIRC our stock ground clearance is around 4.5", isn't it?)

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Yup - we've seen owners that can't get out of their own driveways or over extra high speed bumps at stock ride height.
(IIRC our stock ground clearance is around 4.5", isn't it?)
An advantage of larger than stock tires would be filling the wheel wells, since that seems to be a sore point.
The tires pictured are smaller than stock, so the wheel well gap is larger than normal.

Mine scrapes the nose on driveways even at stock height, so there is no way I could lower it.

I have read the "official" dimension to be 5" even, but don't know how truly official, or consistent, that is.
The clearance under the flexible air dam is somewhere around 3".

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
An advantage of larger than stock tires would be filling the wheel wells, since that seems to be a sore point.
The tires pictured are smaller than stock, so the wheel well gap is larger than normal.

Mine scrapes the nose on driveways even at stock height, so there is no way I could lower it.

I have read the "official" dimension to be 5" even, but don't know how truly official, or consistent, that is.
The clearance under the flexible air dam is somewhere around 3".
Yeah the intercooler sits really low in that spot too.. the werks one is now almost directly up against the flexible air dam.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Yeah the intercooler sits really low in that spot too.. the werks one is now almost directly up against the flexible air dam.
That would be pretty good incentive to leave the ride height alone.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I don't get how the Sky is designed to sit low and yet maintains a monster truck wheel gap. Did GM designed a mismatch wheel and tire combo? I agree that the Skystice shouldn't go any lower for practical purposes yet the gaps are just laughable for a sports car. As it is I scrap once in a while if I am not careful negotiating speed bumps.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
I don't get how the Sky is designed to sit low and yet maintains a monster truck wheel gap. Did GM designed a mismatch wheel and tire combo? I agree that the Skystice shouldn't go any lower for practical purposes yet the gaps are just laughable for a sports car. As it is I scrap once in a while if I am not careful negotiating speed bumps.
Where does it tend to hit? The front bumper? I do think ultimately that is the weak link in ground clearance.. The air dam is low and the deflector is damn near on the ground. The bumper also just comes down too damn far.

·
Administrator
7,088 Posts
Where does it tend to hit? The front bumper? I do think ultimately that is the weak link in ground clearance.. The air dam is low and the deflector is damn near on the ground. The bumper also just comes down too damn far.
For driveways curbs and speed umps it has been the bottom of the bumper. For debris on the road it is the air dam.

The air dam is close enough to the axle to avoid driveways, but can hit speedbumps.

The bumper is low to help keep sir out from under the car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
I most often will scrap the black rubber trim underneath the front bumper as the car descends from the speedbumps.
I guess one can combat with stiffer spring rates and corresponding shock setting. A larger wheel/tire set would raise the height a bit and reduce gap. But that affects your odo/speedo.

·
Registered
2,728 Posts
I most often will scrap the black rubber trim underneath the front bumper as the car descends from the speedbumps.
I guess one can combat with stiffer spring rates and corresponding shock setting. A larger wheel/tire set would raise the height a bit and reduce gap. But that affects your odo/speedo.
I experience much less scraping after I fitted BC Racing shock units with stiffer than stock springs (but that is no solution if one prefers the softer stock ride)

·
Registered
102 Posts
Can't comment as I've not had experience with BC Racing suspension. I understand that one can specify spring rates? Nonetheless, I'm quite happy with the ride quality of the stock sport suspension.

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'll offer up a counter opinion. The Alfa wheels just dont do it for me on the Sky. I'm not sure what it is about them but they do look good on the Alfas pictured.

·
Registered
2,292 Posts
The Alfa wheels just don't do it for me on the Sky. I'm not sure what it is about them but they do look good on the Alfas pictured.
Yeah.... a circus parade comes to mind... too many circles.
They just don't look sturdy... on a SKY or the AR 4Cs.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Maybe the Alfa 4C has more rounded motif so the rotary dial wheels match while the Sky slashes and sharp angles contrast against it?

I still think the OP's shot is not complimentary (sorry!). Perhaps if we can see it from a front 3/4 view or a "ant perspective" view? The latter is for artistic purposes unless you are Ant Man.

·
Registered
325 Posts
I'd love to see a dead-on picture of the wheel and the fender flare, to get a better idea of the gap between the rubber and the car, and then one a little further behind to get a better look at the rim against the car.

·
Registered
55 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Got new shoes! I picked up some Bridgestone Potenza RE71R's in 245/40/19. Definitely looks better than the winter tires!

·
Registered
325 Posts
1) goddamn those wheels are pure (metallic) sex

2) Wow, those tires look to be very close to the fenders, do they rub?

3) why does the car look like its been jacked up?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts