Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've got a base 07 5 speed I changed the clutch flywheel, pilot bearing, slave cylinder etc, I cant seem to get the transmission flush with the engine block I always have about a 1/2 gap I've been at this for a few days. Any advice? Do I have to get it set and force it in with bolts because of the slave cylinder?

Edit: my clutch kit didnt come with a clutch alignment tool I tried a universal tool it didnt work out so I picked up dorman 14523 clutch tool and it fits pretty well only thing is it has slight wiggle room in the pilot bearing

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
I've got a base 07 5 speed I changed the clutch flywheel, pilot bearing, slave cylinder etc, I cant seem to get the transmission flush with the engine block I always have about a 1/2 gap I've been at this for a few days. Any advice? Do I have to get it set and force it in with bolts because of the slave cylinder?

Edit: my clutch kit didnt come with a clutch alignment tool I tried a universal tool it didnt work out so I picked up dorman 14523 clutch tool and it fits pretty well only thing is it has slight wiggle room in the pilot bearing
Welcome to the forum.

The slave cylinder only pushes on the clutch when the pedal is depressed to disengage the clutch, so there should not normally be any force on it. I suspect you have an incorrect part, or a spacer that does not belong.

Reactions: squilliam

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome to the forum.

The slave cylinder only pushes on the clutch when the pedal is depressed to disengage the clutch, so there should not normally be any force on it. I suspect you have an incorrect part, or a spacer that does not belong.
I'm using a duralast clutch kit from autozone "oem replacement" I'm stuck I dont know what to do next to be honest.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
I'm using a duralast clutch kit from autozone "oem replacement" I'm stuck I dont know what to do next to be honest.
I would compare each part to the ones you took out to see if something is different with one of them.

I assume that the pressure plate is screwed down tight against the flywheel, and the clutch disc is being held solidly.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I would compare each part to the ones you took out to see if something is different with one of them.

I assume that the pressure plate is screwed down tight against the flywheel, and the clutch disc is being held solidly.
It is and its torqued down. I believe all the parts are the same but the new slave cylinder seems a little bit longer than the one that was in the car. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to go check all the parts later today

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
It is and its torqued down. I believe all the parts are the same but the new slave cylinder seems a little bit longer than the one that was in the car. I'm not 100% sure I'm going to go check all the parts later today
A longer slave cylinder would certainly cause this problem.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally got a chance to go and check my parts and everything seemed to be fine the old and new slave are the same size, only difference In the two was that the new one had a longer travel compared to the old one. I took everything apart and put it back together and still no progress. Anything that anyone can think of maybe a check list or any tips. Anything helps. Thanks alot.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
did you replace the pilot bearing?
Yes I did. And also yes I was referring to the slavecylinder/tob having a longer travel.
Could it be because my pilot is too far in the crank or too far out? The way it looks it's pretty much on the money but It might be off. I tried inserting the tranny without the clutch and pressure plate and it fit in there perfect. So I'm not sure

·
Registered
214 Posts
Wrong pilot bearing would affect how far the input shaft would enter. It would have to be too far out for the shaft not to enter far enough. I’m sure you’ve already compared the dimensions of the clutch disc and pressure plate.
Learned to look everything over before installation when I was a kid. Had an Austin Healey 3000 (transition year), and they had gone to a larger bell housing. The trans was bad, and I had one from a year earlier.
Got it all together, and when I pushed the clutch in, the pressure plate assembly would rattle against the bell housing.
Doesn’t really count as changing two transmissions, but depends on how you look at it:)

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
Yes I did. And also yes I was referring to the slavecylinder/tob having a longer travel.
Could it be because my pilot is too far in the crank or too far out? The way it looks it's pretty much on the money but It might be off. I tried inserting the tranny without the clutch and pressure plate and it fit in there perfect. So I'm not sure
The slave cylinder seems to be the trouble spot. Assembling with everything but it would eliminate everything else.

Is the collapsed height of the new slave the same as the old one? And how much force does it take to collapse it compared to the force you are seeing in assembling the transmission to the engine?

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
The slave cylinder seems to be the trouble spot. Assembling with everything but it would eliminate everything else.

Is the collapsed height of the new slave the same as the old one? And how much force does it take to collapse it compared to the force you are seeing in assembling the transmission to the engine?
I tried installing the tranny without the slave and it still didnt go. But since then I readjusted the pilot and clutch so I'll try again. And yes the new slave collapsed is lower than the old one. I'm not sure how much more force it takes to collapse because I havent had a chance to work on the car for a few days. I'm going to get tomorrow to work on the car if I can get it done that'll be great if not I'm working for the whole week.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
I tried installing the tranny without the slave and it still didnt go. But since then I readjusted the pilot and clutch so I'll try again. And yes the new slave collapsed is lower than the old one. I'm not sure how much more force it takes to collapse because I havent had a chance to work on the car for a few days. I'm going to get tomorrow to work on the car if I can get it done that'll be great if not I'm working for the whole week.
That pretty much points at clutch alignment. You may need a better clutch alignment tool.

I once was able to align a clutch using the transmission input shaft, but it took several tries, and I don't really recommend it:
  • Assemble the clutch t the flywheel, but do not tighten the pressure plate completely, leave it loose enough for the clutch to slide under it.
  • Install the transmission without the throwout assembly, and use it to shift the clutch into alignment. Do not force it into position.
  • Carefully remove the transmission to avoid pushing the clutch out of position.
  • Torque the pressure plate, install the throwout assembly, and reinstall the transmission.
  • Repeat as necessary when the clutch gets pushed out of alignment when pulling the transmission back off.
There really is no substitute for the proper alignment tool.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
That pretty much points at clutch alignment. You may need a better clutch alignment tool.

I once was able to align a clutch using the transmission input shaft, but it took several tries, and I don't really recommend it:
  • Assemble the clutch t the flywheel, but do not tighten the pressure plate completely, leave it loose enough for the clutch to slide under it.
  • Install the transmission without the throwout assembly, and use it to shift the clutch into alignment. Do not force it into position.
  • Carefully remove the transmission to avoid pushing the clutch out of position.
  • Torque the pressure plate, install the throwout assembly, and reinstall the transmission.
  • Repeat as necessary when the clutch gets pushed out of alignment when pulling the transmission back off.
There really is no substitute for the proper alignment tool.
Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to work on the car today, and wont be able to work on it for the whole week with Thanksgiving being around the corner. But with this extra "free time" I'm going to order a proper clutch alignment tool. (I still think its completely ridiculous that I didnt recieve one with my clutch kit, wasted over a week of free time) I've found this one Polaris Slingshot Parts

I'm going to order it if it's not the correct one please do let me know so I can cancel my order. And thank you very much for all the tips and advice gives me more confidence that I'll get the job finished.

·
Administrator
7,327 Posts
Unfortunately I didnt get a chance to work on the car today, and wont be able to work on it for the whole week with Thanksgiving being around the corner. But with this extra "free time" I'm going to order a proper clutch alignment tool. (I still think its completely ridiculous that I didnt recieve one with my clutch kit, wasted over a week of free time) I've found this one Polaris Slingshot Parts

I'm going to order it if it's not the correct one please do let me know so I can cancel my order. And thank you very much for all the tips and advice gives me more confidence that I'll get the job finished.
That is the one that DDM says will fit, so I am pretty confident that it will.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Wow. Things sure have changed over the years. When I was a kid I did over a dozen clutch jobs whittling down old broomsticks and applying a few layers of masking tape (thick enough to form the "teeth") to use as an alignment tool. The only time I had a problem was after trying all morning to slide in a transmission in an old Mustang I decided to take a lunch break. Thought that after lunch I would try one more time and if unsuccessful I would splurge and buy an alignment tool. After lunch I crawled underneath the car and on the first try the tranny slid right in without any wiggling!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts