Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK, by accident I left the gas cap too loose and now the "check engine light" is on...........and Yes, I have done this before on my Tahoe and I had to drive it for about 250 miles before the light went out by itselt....the Sky book says "several trips"....well, how many miles is several trips? I have put about 200 miles since then...........what should i do?

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Keep driving it. My wife did the same thing with an Accord. I don't remember how many trips, but it was a few days before the light went out. I don't think it has anything to do with miles.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Good info on this from the Solstice side.
Check SmallDealer's response in particular.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showthread.php?p=302806#post302806

solsticeforum/smalldealer said:
Codes can only require a small number of ignition cycles, where tests are run and passed, to shut off the light. Though they can require many more cycles to remove the code from the history log. That is where the confussion is taking place.

Guessing your code may have been a P0455, which would set with a loose gas cap. Here is the specific clearing information for P0455.

Quote:
Conditions for Clearing the MIL/DTC

• The control module turns OFF the malfunction indicator lamp (MIL) after 3 consecutive ignition cycles that the diagnostic runs and does not fail.

• A current DTC, Last Test Failed, clears when the diagnostic runs and passes.

• A history DTC clears after 40 consecutive warm-up cycles, if no failures are reported by this or any other emission related diagnostic.

• Clear the MIL and the DTC with a scan tool.
So the light will shut off on its own or by use of the dealership's scan tool.

A problem with it shutting off on it's own, is that you put gas in the car.

Some evap tests will not take place with a full or near full gas tank, so that would extend the time required to turn of the light.

Here are the test requirements:

Quote:
Conditions for Running the DTC

• DTCs P0106, P0107, P0108, P0112, P0113, P0117, P0118, P0122, P0123, P0125, P0452, P0453, P0502, P0601, P0602, P0606, P0641 are not set.

• The engine is running.

• The ignition voltage is between 11-18 volts.

• The barometric pressure (BARO) is more than 74 kPa.

• The fuel level is between 15-85 percent.

• The start-up engine coolant temperature (ECT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).

• The start-up intake air temperature (IAT) is between 4-30°C (39-86°F).

• The start-up ECT and IAT are within 8°C (14.4°F) of each other.

• DTC P0455 runs once per cold start within 10 minutes of start-up
It sets because:

Conditions for Setting the DTC

The EVAP system is not able to achieve or maintain vacuum for up to 4 times during the diagnostic test

·
Registered
78 Posts
dISCONECT THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE SIDES OF THE BATTERY AND TOUCH THE LEADS TOGETHER FOR ABOUT A MINUTE. THIS WILL POWER DOWN ALL OF THE COMPUTERS AND RESET ANY CODES. OR TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM CLEAR IT

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Or you ask a friend and see if they have a scan tool that can clear codes - I keep mine in my truck :D

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
Or just drive it until the light goes out. It's that simple.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
SkyTech said:
dISCONECT THE POSITIVE AND NEGATIVE SIDES OF THE BATTERY AND TOUCH THE LEADS TOGETHER FOR ABOUT A MINUTE. THIS WILL POWER DOWN ALL OF THE COMPUTERS AND RESET ANY CODES. OR TAKE IT TO THE DEALER AND HAVE THEM CLEAR IT
Disconnecting the battery sounds pretty straightforward, but will it clear radio presets and oil life?

·
Registered
42 Posts
scan tool

you can also go to any Auto Zone parts store and they will scan it for you for free and they can clear the code also. My Cavalier did the same thing. Might be a good idea to call them first to see if they are not too busy to do it or you can make an appointment. - steve

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
kwayne said:
Or you ask a friend and see if they have a scan tool that can clear codes - I keep mine in my truck :D
Uh huh. And what sort of truck would that be?????:confused: :confused:

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
OnStar

:)
Since they can do the diagnoses through OnStar can they by any chance reset the code? They have access to the on board computer, heck they e-mail me how many miles left on my oil life for the Impala. Won't hurt to press that blue button and try, that's what they are paid to do. :cheers:

TulsaSky
:thumbs:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts