Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
Has anyone had experience with catch cans actually catching fluids?

All I’ve ever read about was how they’re installed... but no one has been able to retrieve unwanted fluids.

I’m used to oil separators from my pre-ecotec days and it’s my understanding that since our PCV‘s are locked inside the intake manifold, that there will always be oil seepage.

Anyone have more (and/or positive) experience with this?
I do not have a catch can. I have seen a small number of posts that showed small amounts of oil caught. Most reports have indicated that nothing was collected.

The only posts I have seen that discussed oil contamination of the MAF have been related to oiled air filters, and installations of catch cans have been attempts to reduce or eliminate intake valve coking.

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
I have CCan on my Trans Am and yes it certainly does trap oil. I don't have one on Sky V8 (yet) but will very soon. There are a lot of models out there. Some are better than others, and any decent one is better than none (but make sure it has some kind of filtering element).
I also have run a K&N filter on my TA since nearly the day I bought it and never ever had I seen oil from the filter on my MAF (over 50k miles). If you do, you put way too much oil on the filter to start.
Catch can experience on a V8 is not going to translate to an EcoTec 4.

·
Administrator
8,700 Posts
Respectfully, they all work the same to do the same job. Routing for a turbo is different I know (NA vs pressurized).
Different engines are plumbed differently and have different needs, so experience with one does not apply to a different one.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts