Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
994 Posts
That certainly looks like engine oil vs K&N filter oil. I used to run K&Ns on a few other vehicles and bikes so I'm familiar with K&N filter oil and it's basically a mineral oil that's dyed red. I'm thinking you have some engine oil blow back. An oil catch can is probably your best and easiest fix to get that remedied. That seems like quite a bit of oil making it's way down to the MAF.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Yeah, this is definitely engine oil, but I'm not sure how so much of it is making it's way back into the intake and coating everything. I'm definitely open to taking a catch can, but I'm afraid it's putting a bandaid on a bullet hole, so to speak. There has to be a larger issue at hand here.
The check valve is a known failure on the hose that connects the valve cover to the intake. This is most likely where the oil is coming from in the intake. The MAF sits pretty close to that nipple on the K&N setup so it's not too surprising oil would be getting sprayed on it depending on the pressures. Some of the other CAIs relocate the MAF closer to the filter like the GMPP and DDM one so that might help if the problem continues. Those are also dry filter CAIs as opposed to the K&N setup which does use a oiled filter. So either way it may resolve your MAF issues by getting a different CAI, plus the GMPP is CARB compliant.

I personally have no experience with an OCC, but I do trust DDM Works products as he has a lot of time and research into the products they have brought to the market and they have detailed the oil in the intake and developed an OCC kit specifically for our setup.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts