Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey y'all, it's been awhile since I've been here.

I need advice on a few things, in order of importance:

1. Closing the cockpit latch on my soft top is a real workout....almost like the top is too tight. (To be honest, I almost NEVER put the top down.) What could be wrong? Any obvious tricks I am missing?
2. I hear an annoying rattle that seems to come from the passenger side dash near the bottom of the windscreen. Any thoughts? It drives me nuts!
3. The passenger side door cannot be unlocked by the passenger, I have to use the master lock on my side. Broken?
4. The passenger side window is slower at opening and closing than the driver's side window, how do I fix this?

Small stuff but clocking that softtop is a PITA!

Thanks in advance for any sensible replies! ;)

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
1. Are you opening the windows (at least a couple of inches) on both side before you latch the roof?
2. --
3. Cannot be unlocked how? With just the switch button, or with the mechanical post?
4. This is common for some reason. In fact I dare say 80-90% of the cars. There are adjustment points to angle the window which might lower friction against the rubber seals, but I have been wary of doing this in case it reduces the rain seal. I just live with mine.

Have fun!

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
1. Are you opening the windows (at least a couple of inches) on both side before you latch the roof?
2. --
3. Cannot be unlocked how? With just the switch button, or with the mechanical post?
4. This is common for some reason. In fact I dare say 80-90% of the cars. There are adjustment points to angle the window which might lower friction against the rubber seals, but I have been wary of doing this in case it reduces the rain seal. I just live with mine.

Have fun!
Thanks TS.
1.Yes, I'm opening windows before latching the roof. Its just damn near impossible (too tight) for that yellow hook to slip onto the the other side of the locking mechanism.
3. Yes, the passenger cannot unlock the door with their door switch button.

·
Registered
3,969 Posts
OK, well the cables in the roof may be adjusted too tightly. There have been posts on adjusting the roof but I don't have links - maybe someone else will chime in, or you could google it...

As for the door lock, it sounds like a switch problem. Both switches are in parallel, so either one should lock or unlock both doors. Maybe the switch is broken or the wiring (or the switch connector has come undone). You'll have to take the door inner panel off to debug.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
1.Yes, I'm opening windows before latching the roof. Its just damn near impossible (too tight) for that yellow hook to slip onto the the other side of the locking mechanism.
You are attempting to do this before you latch the buttresses to the trunk lid, right?

Just checking.

:thumbs:

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
When do you hear the rattle? I had a noise that sounded similar to that but only at speed. It was caused by the cowling being separated from the base of the windshield and buzzing in the wind.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
When do you hear the rattle? I had a noise that sounded similar to that but only at speed. It was caused by the cowling being separated from the base of the windshield and buzzing in the wind.
I hear it just driving anywhere, moreso over rough terrain/bumps. I seems to be coming from the base of the windscreen where it meets the dash. However I know from experience with my Miata it could be a loose nut/bolt rattling around in one spot and echoing down in another chamber.

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Check that the latch bar in the front center of the top is completely straight and flat, no bends whatsoever. If there is a bend in the end, it becomes very difficult to latch. It is fairly easy for this part to get bent, it the latch is in the wrong position when trying to close the trunk lid. Sorry I don't have pictures.

:dunno:

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Check that the latch bar in the front center of the top is completely straight and flat, no bends whatsoever. If there is a bend in the end, it becomes very difficult to latch. It is fairly easy for this part to get bent, it the latch is in the wrong position when trying to close the trunk lid. Sorry I don't have pictures.

:dunno:
Dave, you are speaking about the yellow hook that the latch handle regulates?

·
Registered
2,840 Posts
Dave, you are speaking about the yellow hook that the latch handle regulates?
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. When putting the top down, sometimes, someone, will close the latch handle, which extends that hook, and then when the trunk lid is slammed, that yellow hook will get bent, and become very difficult to latch. It is fairly soft metal and fairly easy to rebend it to be flat.

It's worth a look.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Yes, that's what I'm talking about. When putting the top down, sometimes, someone, will close the latch handle, which extends that hook, and then when the trunk lid is slammed, that yellow hook will get bent, and become very difficult to latch. It is fairly soft metal and fairly easy to rebend it to be flat.

It's worth a look.

No, the yelllow hook is not bent. The darn thing (cable?) is just tight.

·
Super Moderator
5,253 Posts
I have had problems pulling the top into position to latch, but usually when it has been down for an extended period.

One thing that will definitely cause problems, but is easy to see, is the canvas getting pinched in the frame right above the middle of the door.

·
Premium Member
5,185 Posts
I have a top that does the exact same thing. Nearly impossible to hook. I put it on the Bluestone car and the could barely close the top, the wife had no chance. The thing looks brand new, I am keeping it to replace the yellow car top when it needs it. Hoping it setting in the sun will make it easier down the road. This came off a wreck, but no apparent damage to the top, light front end damage. Think the top and mech is fine. Just tighter than a drum.

The guy I bought it from said the top had never been up since he picked it up at the dealer brand new. Kept in a garage and less than 8k on the car. Sad situation for sure.

·
Registered
171 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
OK, well the cables in the roof may be adjusted too tightly. There have been posts on adjusting the roof but I don't have links - maybe someone else will chime in, or you could google it...

As for the door lock, it sounds like a switch problem. Both switches are in parallel, so either one should lock or unlock both doors. Maybe the switch is broken or the wiring (or the switch connector has come undone). You'll have to take the door inner panel off to debug.
Thanks mate! Yes indeed it is adjusted too tight. I will explore your link and see what I could find. Hopefully its an easy fix.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts