Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some members have said that a wire must be moved or added when converting to dimming mirror.
I need to know what wire, where it come from and needs to gol Please help!
--doug

·
Super Moderator
6,656 Posts
Some members have said that a wire must be moved or added when converting to dimming mirror.
--doug
You have to add a power supply for the mirror. A forum search for "autodim" will return several threads with the information you need.

·
Registered
9 Posts
You have to add a power supply for the mirror. A forum search for "autodim" will return several threads with the information you need.
In addition to the ignition input, you may want to add a reverse wire as well. The HHR mirror I put in uses the reverse signal to disable autodimming when you shift to reverse. The reverse wire was a little trickier to find. I ended up pulling it out of the harness under the passenger side door sill.
Good Luck!

·
Registered
479 Posts
--doug
When swapping out to the auto dimming mirror you will need to add a power source for the auto dimming feature. If you look at the pigtail harness you will see that each pin is numbered 1-16. IIRC you will need to add a pin and wire to the #13 location. You can either run this wire to the BCM in the passenger floor board and tap onto a 12v switched power source there or you can tap the wire coming into pin #6 which is the 12V constant into the mirror. The downside of doing this method is that this power source isn't switched and whenever you open the doors the mirror will power up and stay powered until the BCM's internal timer shuts off the power after 10 minutes or so (like it does if you leave a map light on or a door open). If you can find a mirror that comes with an old pigtail harness even better, because you will need an extra pin either way to do this and they are difficult to find. This way you can borrow one from the old pigtail to install in yours. It takes some patience and practice to remove the pin as you will need a small pic or screwdriver to release it.

In addition to the ignition input, you may want to add a reverse wire as well. The HHR mirror I put in uses the reverse signal to disable autodimming when you shift to reverse. The reverse wire was a little trickier to find. I ended up pulling it out of the harness under the passenger side door sill.
Good Luck!
I did the HHR mirror as well. I never bothered with the reverse wire though as I haven't had too much of an issue seeing out of it while reversing at night and I have a reverse camera installed in my head unit.

·
Registered
18,184 Posts
Since I just added my rear view camera in my mirror....the mirror does have auto dim....did not have to add any wires from the BCM ...so u definitely do not have to go to your BCM to add power to that mirror. At this time, I am not disconnecting my install. It was not meant to be taken apart. It is a perfect OEM install but u should take this from my post....no extra wire from the BCM needs to be run.

·
Registered
479 Posts
Since I just added my rear view camera in my mirror....the mirror does have auto dim....did not have to add any wires from the BCM ...so u definitely do not have to go to your BCM to add power to that mirror. At this time, I am not disconnecting my install. It was not meant to be taken apart. It is a perfect OEM install but u should take this from my post....no extra wire from the BCM needs to be run.
The OEM mirror does already have power yes, but if the OP intends to install an auto dimming mirror like the HHR mirror they will need to supply power to an unused pin (#13) in the OEM pigtail. Personally I didn’t run my power from a switchable supply from the BCM and instead tapped the existing 12v power supply already present in the harness at pin #6. The only downside to this is like I stated earlier whenever the doors are opened it triggers the auto dim/ compass to power on and stay on until at least 10 minutes of inactivity. I’ve had no issues with this install this way, but I know others have ran a dedicated wire to the BCM to not deal with this issue.

·
Registered
1,099 Posts
Personally I didn’t run my power from a switchable supply from the BCM and instead tapped the existing 12v power supply already present in the harness at pin #6.
I did the same thing when I installed one years ago, just jumpering the wire over. Took about 10 seconds to install and never gave me a problem. As mentioned, the mirror does stay on after you exit the car, but the BCM cuts the power after 10 minutes so it's not a big issue.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts