Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi all! New Redline owner here with a rear tail light that has a strange fogginess to it. Although it appears to be some sort of waxiness on the exterior of the the light, it does not come off with soap/water nor does it come off with a solvent based remover. Does anyone have any suggestions or how I might be able to check/clean inside the tail light? The light itself works - I just want a perfect appearance to it.

UPDATE: I added 4 more photos in the sun. The second photo is the left taillight which has no issue. The following photos are the oddly damaged right taillight. Does it appear to be inside or outside?

Automotive parking light Car Automotive tail & brake light Vehicle Grille
Automotive tail & brake light Automotive parking light Car Automotive lighting Hood
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive side marker light Automotive lighting
Automotive lighting Hood Car Automotive design Motor vehicle
Automotive parking light Automotive tail & brake light Car Automotive lighting Hood

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
That looks like the same kind of (sun) damage I recently cleaned up on (the outside of) my headlight lenses. No guarantees but I'm wondering if the tail light lenses could be restored using the same kind of kit? It might be worth a try, just cleaning up one small section to see if it works.
What type of kit did you use?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Had a similar look on my headlights & tail lights. Used this kit from Griotts and they look great. (Was able to do both headlights and both tail lights with one kit) Just do both headlights at the same time and use one set of materials for them, likewise with the tail lights Ceramic Headlight Restoration Kit, Severe
Thanks for the reply! Do you know what would cause this issue only on one tail light of the vehicle? I am just baffled as it appears to be some sort of droplet or wax type material.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Droplet or wax-like could be tree sap or something similar. The first thing I would try is a bug and tar remover
I just updated my post with photos in the sun and of the non-damaged tail light as well. Does the damage appear to be external? I am so confused as to what this could be - UV damage, wax, inside the light, ect?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
It was on both tail lights on mine, But not equally. Perhaps one side gets more sun than the other where you park? John is right, a "bug and tar remover" might be a good starting point for you, just in case it is a wax or sap type of issue.. If you <gently> scratch at it with a fingernail does it make a difference? On mine a fingernail could leave a mark on the oxidized surface, but not on the clear section.
If I try to scratch it with my fingernail, it leaves no mark. So does that rule out a wax issue?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts