Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay, we all love our Skys and many of us went through dealer hell to get them. There is always room for improvement and I have a small list of minor (and I do mean minor) annoyances. Maybe if we post our pet peeves about our Skys here Saturn will notice. Here is my list thus far, in the order in which they bother me:

No button to lock and unlock the doors.

If you move the seat forward a bit, it’s very hard to reach the seat belt to buckle up.

There is nowhere to put anything that you need accessible as you drive! No where to put a garage door opener, sun glasses, cell phone, CDs, iPod… The glove box is far away and contorting myself to get into the center console is sure non-trivial. I’m not a gymnast. The seat pockets are okay, but I think there could be some improvement here.

No light in the glove box.

No built in garage opener. This is important since there is no space to put one.

Stereo needs to be louder, even the 250W Monsoon.

On the DIC, I frequently want to switch back and fourth between the trip odometer and the default display. But you can only go one direction through the options. I wish I could cycle through the DIC displays in both directions!

Both visors should have a mirror.

Those ugly warning labels on the visor have to go.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Peeves are fine, but there are ways around all of these issues. I coated over my visor labels and got a smaller garage door opener. After two months you learn to grab the post to unlock the doors just like the good ol' days...

I am learning my car pretty well, and have a place for my cell phone (fits in the passenger seat flap AND, that's right below the charger so it's perfect), Sunglasses (center console - put 'on before you get in), mini Garage Door Opener (driver's seat flap), sunblock (glove box), etc.

My pet peeve not mentioned on this list is that I drive with the seat all the way back. Being six-foot-one, I also have long arms, and I have to fold my wrist back upon itself to reach the power window switches because my elbow is ramming into the rear bulkhead...

As for the visor labels, mine are gone now...

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
jarcher said:
Okay, we all love our Skys and many of us went through dealer hell to get them. There is always room for improvement and I have a small list of minor (and I do mean minor) annoyances. Maybe if we post our pet peeves about our Skys here Saturn will notice. Here is my list thus far, in the order in which they bother me:

If you move the seat forward a bit, it’s very hard to reach the seat belt to buckle up.

There is nowhere to put anything that you need accessible as you drive! No where to put a garage door opener, sun glasses, cell phone, CDs, iPod… The glove box is far away and contorting myself to get into the center console is sure non-trivial. I’m not a gymnast. The seat pockets are okay, but I think there could be some improvement here.

No light in the glove box.

No built in garage opener. This is important since there is no space to put one.

Stereo needs to be louder, even the 250W Monsoon.

On the DIC, I frequently want to switch back and fourth between the trip odometer and the default display. But you can only go one direction through the options. I wish I could cycle through the DIC displays in both directions!

Both visors should have a mirror.

Those ugly warning labels on the visor have to go.
Those are good points, but most cars have some things that are not good for some people. I guess the obsession for the car :drool: itself grants leniency............:patriot: trust me owning 2 vipers 92, and 96. means a whole lot of leniency

·
Registered
804 Posts
While you may call the items your pet peevs, I see them more of a wish list for changes. Just let Saturn know what changes or additions you think would be good for the Sky, and they will take them into consideration in future year models.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I've only had my car 4 days, so I'm still learning it...BUT, at the moment I'd have to say that my biggest pet peeve is the inability to read the radio display in the daylight...particularly if the sun is behind you. :banghead: They should have gone with a bright green or blue on the display, instead of amber...it's just too darn hard to read...even with the brightness control set to the highest level.

·
Registered
95 Posts
jarcher said:
It's fair to classify your list as pet peeves: minor irritants that may have a solution. I'm on the waiting list for a Sky Red Line, and I have a much bigger concern where there's no quick fix, and probably no long term solution in sight either: Very small trunk capacity, even in comparison to its competition (2 seat roadsters).

Here's an old thread that discussed my concern:

http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2325

·
Registered
422 Posts
SKY USA said:
... Very small trunk capacity, even in comparison to its competition (2 seat roadsters)....
That's the little disadvantage you have to accept for that fancy clamshell design.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
I have a couple of pet peeves, AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE ONE PREFERENCED YET!!!!

Drive east at about 5-6 PM. The chrome around the speedo and tach will melt your retinas!!. I get ocular migraine headaches from bright flashes like that. As soon as I get my RedLine this will be fixed. Also, I would like to see more adjustments for at least the drivers seat.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Peeves

1] top is a pain.
2] some interior parts are very cheap.
3] no place for cell phone
4] not enough power when running a/c [redline will rule.]
5] radio is very hard to read in sunlight.
6] because the car is so low, you really have to be careful on bottoming out and when u pull into a parking lot, be aware many parking lot concrete bumpers are higher than your front end, and you will scrape your front skirt.... word up......

but the car is a gas to drive, really fun. i drove it here in los angeles yesterday on Mullholland drive to the ocean [the same road james dean trashed his porsche] and it was a great road to break the car in on.... really fun.

the stares, the questions and other attention is really overwhelming, and i live in the car capitol of the US, where BMW, Benz, Aston Martin, are a dime a dozen...

fun fun fun on the autobaun....

·
Registered
225 Posts
skybuy said:
1] top is a pain.
2] some interior parts are very cheap.
3] no place for cell phone
4] not enough power when running a/c [redline will rule.]
5] radio is very hard to read in sunlight.
6] because the car is so low, you really have to be careful on bottoming out and when u pull into a parking lot, be aware many parking lot concrete bumpers are higher than your front end, and you will scrape your front skirt.... word up......

but the car is a gas to drive, really fun. i drove it here in los angeles yesterday on Mullholland drive to the ocean [the same road james dean trashed his porsche] and it was a great road to break the car in on.... really fun.

the stares, the questions and other attention is really overwhelming, and i live in the car capitol of the US, where BMW, Benz, Aston Martin, are a dime a dozen...

fun fun fun on the autobaun....

after driving a wrangler for 5 years the top in this heaven. i was hoping for an auto top but this seems like a miracle compared to what i'm used to. i guess all things are relative.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Have had no problem reaching the keyfob -- Less of a problem than I imagined.

If you move the seat forward a bit, it’s very hard to reach the seat belt to buckle up.Yes, had to get in the habit of pulling the belt out before I get in. I can point out seat belt problems in 80% of cars I ride/drive in.

There is nowhere to put anything that you need accessible as you drive! No where to put a garage door opener, sun glasses, cell phone, CDs, iPod… The glove box is far away and contorting myself to get into the center console is sure non-trivial. I’m not a gymnast. The seat pockets are okay, but I think there could be some improvement here. WE NEED MORE ROOM FOR STUFF!!

No light in the glove box.Don't spend much time in glove boxes - in the dark in particular... What cars have lights? Never even noticed

No built in garage opener. This is important since there is no space to put one.Ordering a key fob opener - end of problem

Stereo needs to be louder, even the 250W Monsoon.I have not been able to get to 100% volume without blacking out due to loss of blood from ear bleeds.

On the DIC, I frequently want to switch back and fourth between the trip odometer and the default display. But you can only go one direction through the options. I wish I could cycle through the DIC displays in both directions!I count spots - never miss. There are not that many positions to go.

Both visors should have a mirror. If anything the passenger seat should have one before the driver's seat. As a SKY driver we know we look fine (like anyone notices once they see the car)

Those ugly warning labels on the visor have to go.Gee I keep forgetting to even notice them.

·
Registered
35 Posts
snaponbob said:
I have a couple of pet peeves, AND I DON'T EVEN HAVE ONE PREFERENCED YET!!!!

Drive east at about 5-6 PM. The chrome around the speedo and tach will melt your retinas!!. I get ocular migraine headaches from bright flashes like that. As soon as I get my RedLine this will be fixed. Also, I would like to see more adjustments for at least the drivers seat.
Going West, I noticed the glare coming off the hood and front fenders. Visors don't do much to help.

Interior (gage) lights should come on when manually turning on headlights (fine for auto, give me a choice)

Rearview mirror stem is not sturdy enough. Vibration effects vision

Seat sags (maybe they corrected that on Sky)

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
2 Things that may help...

With regards to the visor warnings ... I believe those are required by law (in some fashion) on every new car to explain the dangers of air bags. Granted the ones on the Sky, with their close proximity to our face are striking and obnoxious allbeit federally mandated.

The Monsoon Stereo not being loud enough? I found I can get a bit more noise out of the system if I make the Speed Induced Volume Increase feature set to High. It seems to max out at a higher level than the stereo normally is (could all be in my head -- which is ringing).

·
Registered
325 Posts
Marco said:
Going West, I noticed the glare coming off the hood and front fenders. Visors don't do much to help.

Interior (gage) lights should come on when manually turning on headlights (fine for auto, give me a choice)

Rearview mirror stem is not sturdy enough. Vibration effects vision

Seat sags (maybe they corrected that on Sky)
You guys, come on! Go back to driving to your Toyotas. This is a $25,000 roadster.

By the way how many of these threads are there going to be, wasn't there a dislike thread just yesterday?

·
Registered
35 Posts
bradyb said:
You guys, come on! Go back to driving to your Toyotas. This is a $25,000 roadster.

By the way how many of these threads are there going to be, wasn't there a dislike thread just yesterday?

Aside frome the glare situations, I don't think the other fixes would cost alot.

GM admitted they they watch the Solstice forum (and I would imagine the Sky forum as well).

These quirks were reported a long time ago over there. You'd like to think they would have corrected some of these issues before they started building the Sky.
If a good point thread comes up, I have many more things to say about that.

One point that you may not know yet is that the brakes are holding up extremely well after 13,000 plus miles. No warping of the rotors, no fade. They feel "like new"

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
As for complaints, I have none. Being an old school roadster driver, I find the things listed as minor, brought from a society that has gotten to used to the "conveniences". Hey it is a 26K roadster, enjoy it for what it is, a truly fun vehicle.

·
Registered
68 Posts
I also drive a Jeep Wrangler and the top on the sky is so easy, what do you all want for a beer budget?

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Ernest said:
As for complaints, I have none. Being an old school roadster driver, I find the things listed as minor, brought from a society that has gotten to used to the "conveniences". Hey it is a 26K roadster, enjoy it for what it is, a truly fun vehicle.
I like to think of them as quirks

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
1994SC2 said:
With regards to the visor warnings ... I believe those are required by law (in some fashion) on every new car to explain the dangers of air bags. Granted the ones on the Sky, with their close proximity to our face are striking and obnoxious allbeit federally mandated.
The law refers to the manufacturers - they have to provide the warnings, and probably want to in order to avoid lawsuits from the people who make the argument, "You never told me that cigarette smoking was unhealthy."

But, that does not mean that you, as "Joe Car OWNER" have to keep them there. I got rid of mine, and I love it.

And yes, for the record, I also removed the white, flappy tab from my seat belts as well as the "Not to be Removed Under Penalty of Law" tags from all my pillows.

I just love stickin' it to the man!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Couple of mine.

The annoying seat belt warning.
Center cup holder needs to be more sturdy.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts