Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
As I said at the SolForum this in my opinion is one of the worst commercials I've ever seen... I can't believe Saturn spent money on this.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
brentil said:
As I said at the SolForum this in my opinion is one of the worst commercials I've ever seen... I can't believe Saturn spent money on this.
i don't think it is as bad as some of the pontiac commercials with all the flashing lights and just glimpses of the cars... very distracting....

I have seen a bunch of new Saturn commercials featuring the Sky.. and they are pretty good...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
i don't think it is as bad as some of the pontiac commercials with all the flashing lights and just glimpses of the cars... very distracting....

I have seen a bunch of new Saturn commercials featuring the Sky.. and they are pretty good...
This commercial makes no sense though.

What the heck do half the correlations in this commercial have to do with the car? Opening a stove means turning your high beams on? It was poorly scripted, lakes any cohesion, and looks like it was done by a high school AV team.

·
Registered
141 Posts
Brentil, the purpose of the commercial is not to promote the Sky.

They've already sold out (or allocated) the Sky several times over.

The point of the commercial is to simply associate the Sky with the Saturn brand and to improve the image of all the other Saturns. The Sky is a "Halo" car that will generate traffic at Saturn dealerships and they hope sell other Saturns as well.

Saturn is using the Sky to re-introduce the Saturn brand and move the brand up-market. GM execs want to eventually make Saturn their own Acura.

I do think the commercial spot makes Saturns brand look better. By not drawing special attention to the Sky--it makes the viewer feel this is a typical Saturn--a really cool car and cool brand.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
SkyBos said:
Brentil, the purpose of the commercial is not to promote the Sky.

They've already sold out (or allocated) the Sky several times over.

The point of the commercial is to simply associate the Sky with the Saturn brand and to improve the image of all the other Saturns. The Sky is a "Halo" car that will generate traffic at Saturn dealerships and they hope sell other Saturns as well.

Saturn is using the Sky to re-introduce the Saturn brand and move the brand up-market. GM execs want to eventually make Saturn their own Acura.

I do think the commercial spot makes Saturns brand look better. By not drawing special attention to the Sky--it makes the viewer feel this is a typical Saturn--a really cool car and cool brand.
I know all about the Halo effect and brand association, I've been talking about that for these two cars since I joined these forums back in June of 2004.

My point is this commercial just sucks, plain and simple.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
OK OK OK

I was about to say that is Sucked Monkey Butt too until the very end when I saw that it was designed for the food network. Yes it sucks, but I guess they had certain constraints..I am just trying to think how the hell else they could have done it and made it relevant to food.

I would have had the Sky driving on this twisty mountain road..but only the mountain and the road are a nice golden brown...then it zooms out and they are driving on a turkey.
HA HA HA

So yeah, not as easy as you might think to associate the 2...food and cars, that is.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I'm in the business so I get it...HGTV is a female driven network - pun intended:) They are targeting the primary demographic of the network with direct correlation to the product offered...the Saturn Sky.

Cheesy comparisons I agree. Saturn most likely didn't put any dollars to this - the network probably put this together as added value for sponsorships.

Just my two cents:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,417 Posts
I do like the detail they put in to the rotating Sky at the top of the page on the microsite, its far better than the one on Saturn.com.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
1994SC2 said:
I do like the detail they put in to the rotating Sky at the top of the page on the microsite, its far better than the one on Saturn.com.
Did you notice that on the hgtv site the little SKY on the very top achieves the balanced rear end look through having NO EXHAUST SYSTEM at all?

I agree that balance is important, but if you are going to reject one outlet I think it's better to go with two than with ZERO!

(The big rotator shows the factory outlet on the right and the wannabe outline on the left.)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts