Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well...it is freaking cold here already! The long rage forecast is not looking good at all...calling for snow 4 days this week so I think it is time for Shakira to go into hibernation mode.

I am going to get the detail kids to do a complete on her at work today and to use the RaggTopp that I just got off of Ebay.

So I need fuel stabilizer, carpet chunks for under the tires, a cover...anything I am missing? Do I need to do anything special with the battery?

·
Registered
450 Posts
winter already!!! I am glad I live in Florida. 87 today! :cool:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Oh sorry...I got one of those portable garages for it. It is almost like a big tent. So it will be under cover but will get very cold.

·
Registered
366 Posts
Make sure you have good tire pressures. As far as the battery, either put a battery tender on it, bring it inside, or both (preferable).

·
Registered
79 Posts
Make sure you have good tire pressures. As far as the battery, either put a battery tender on it, bring it inside, or both (preferable).
I recently had new wheels put on and when I did I had the tires filled with Nitrogen rather than air. I don't know if that would make any difference to winterizing a tire but it would be interesting to check out. It cost me $5 per wheel for the nitrogen.

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Oh sorry...I got one of those portable garages for it. It is almost like a big tent. So it will be under cover but will get very cold.
Check out the fine print and your area's rules about the tent - that is what I was planning on using with my car. I just happened to find out today that there are codes for withstanding a specific weight of snow in Delaware... go figure! Looks like I can't use my tent!!

Just a heads up for ya... :willy:

·
Registered
295 Posts
yea karen we had a chilly low of 62 here in orlando this morning..

·
Registered
31 Posts
yea karen we had a chilly low of 62 here in orlando this morning..
I had to put up the windows on my Sky for my drive on the Turnpike it was so cold!

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Check out the fine print and your area's rules about the tent - that is what I was planning on using with my car. I just happened to find out today that there are codes for withstanding a specific weight of snow in Delaware... go figure! Looks like I can't use my tent!!

Just a heads up for ya... :willy:
I hope there are no problems, I could not remove it if I wanted to. Had some big ass drill from Home Depot and drilled into the concrete and then used some kind of expanding thinggies to anchor her down...it is not going anywhere now!

·
Registered
450 Posts
I had to put up the windows on my Sky for my drive on the Turnpike it was so cold!

62!!!!!! oh my...that is freezing! I am glad I live 4 hours south! Bring in the pets and plants!

·
Registered
692 Posts
Block heater!!

Ahh,
I fondly recall the freezing cold and mind numbing wind chill of the North, Idaho and Chicago winters and wind chill in the sub -20 belows. Oil not coming out of the can when I opened it to pour and the resounding "ugh" once and then no further cranking of the starter,
I learned about block heaters when the green fluid ran from under my '72 Vega after a particularly brutal stretch. I recommend that inexpensive car block heater, a real engine saver!! Plug it in turn it on and don't ever let it turn off, at least not until spring!!

I fixed the issue with cold weather though, we tied a snow shovel on the front of our Jeep Cherokee back in 1990 and drove south until people started to ask us "What the heck is THAT thing?!" We settled down and made our home there!!:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,875 Posts
Well...it is freaking cold here already! The long rage forecast is not looking good at all...calling for snow 4 days this week so I think it is time for Shakira to go into hibernation mode.

I am going to get the detail kids to do a complete on her at work today and to use the RaggTopp that I just got off of Ebay.

So I need fuel stabilizer, carpet chunks for under the tires, a cover...anything I am missing? Do I need to do anything special with the battery?
oooh man.. that stinks!!!

I complain about Philly... but we have a decent chance of catching warm weather into November. December last year was warm. Also have as much chance of it being 20 degrees.

But at least when it snows it never sticks around for more than a day or two typically...

2 decent snow storms (3-7 inches) and a few smaller.

I really expect to drive my redline most of the year, even when cold.

·
Registered
462 Posts
Scottsdale

Was 85 today here in Arizona, I have room in my garage here for another car if you would like to store it here!!!!!

It would be much happier in the Valley of the Sun.

·
Registered
994 Posts
I recently had new wheels put on and when I did I had the tires filled with Nitrogen rather than air. I don't know if that would make any difference to winterizing a tire but it would be interesting to check out. It cost me $5 per wheel for the nitrogen.
What's the point of using nitro?

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
I don't understand why our northern brothers park their Skys? I mean it does have a heater?? And if its as good as the A/C, it would probably cook your but? Why do you guys park it?:confused:

Now down here in Florida, the weather thats coming will be peeeerrrrrfect top down driving. Of course if it get into the "chilly" temps, top up heater on--Isn't it nice living down here fellow Floridians??:thumbs: :thumbs:

·
Registered
366 Posts
I just happened to find out today that there are codes for withstanding a specific weight of snow in Delaware... go figure! ]
He makes a good point. Make sure you know the weight limit of your "tent" and keep the snow from building up too much on it.

I learned about block heaters when the green fluid ran from under my '72 Vega after a particularly brutal stretch. I recommend that inexpensive car block heater, a real engine saver!! Plug it in turn it on and don't ever let it turn off, at least not until spring!!
I have one better, a heated garage. :D The problem is that both with a heated garage and with a block heater (in most cases) you are out of luck when you are out and about (such as at work). When we used to live in Montana, there were plug ins for each parking spot in some of the nicer lots but certainly not around here.

I fixed the issue with cold weather though, we tied a snow shovel on the front of our Jeep Cherokee back in 1990 and drove south until people started to ask us "What the heck is THAT thing?!" We settled down and made our home there!!:lol:
Now that is hillarious. :thumbs:

I don't understand why our northern brothers park their Skys? I mean it does have a heater?? And if its as good as the A/C, it would probably cook your but? Why do you guys park it?:confused:
Winter roads would destroy a car like the sky around here. Sometimes when you head to work there is no snow in the forcast, then you look out the window at 3:00 in the afternoon to a blizzard. I'd never want to test the sky in some of the snow storms around here.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I don't understand why our northern brothers park their Skys? I mean it does have a heater?? And if its as good as the A/C, it would probably cook your but? Why do you guys park it?
1) salt on the road to melt the snow is bad for metal
2) other drivers can't really drive in sunny weather, let alone in snow and ice
3) if the top's not down, why drive a convertable?

1 - 20 of 25 Posts