Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello Folks, has anyone done an HID conversion to a Sky yet? I put a kit on my Camaro and I did a conversion on my Mom's SRX. The Projector beams were designed for HIDs anyway so you might as well.

A question for current owners, do the projector lamps have a horizontal bar that limits the lights to a certain degree above the road? At night can you see a horizontal line that limits the light from shining upwards?

The Cadillac SRX did use a horizontal bar to control the light height and it was easy to limit the HID to the road rather then incoming traffic.

I know some of you older folks might be annoyed by HID headlights from oncoming traffic, (especially as your vision gets worse). I did the conversion to my Camaro and the difference was huge!) Driving at night was much more enjoyable and I stopped using my brights.

The Sky looks like a $40,000 roadster; it might as well at night too.

Here's the kit I would use (if the Sky used 9006 bulbs):http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/JDM-MTEC-6000K-XENON-HID-CONVERSION-KIT-9004-9006-9007_W0QQitemZ8065920846QQcategoryZ36476QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Also, Does anyone have any close up pics of the headlight assembly
from the back? I'm wondering if I could fit the starter/ballast inside the assembly or if not where I could stick it. I'll do a search on the Solstice side and see what I can find. :)

·
Registered
251 Posts
This has been one mod I wanted to do seriosuly BAD! I may do this within the next couple of weeks. I am having a hard time deciding on 4300 or 6000, but I think I know now I will go with 6000K. If anyone does it please post pics asap as a few of us seem REALLY interested. I agree this car does look high dollar and I have been asked umpteen times how much I paid and told them under 27K and they said stop lying get out of here! With the HID conversion this will surely look like a high dollar cara nd as you said I have seen coversions to HID and no longer are the high beams needed. That is a PLUS :thumbs:

·
Registered
94 Posts
how is this done i would love it and r u saying i only need it for the low beams cause that would be soooo much cheaper lol let me know

·
Registered
149 Posts
I have my HID kit I just need my SKY. I will be doing a full walk through with pics and step by step insturctions once I get my car.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Just as an FYI I have 8,000Ks on my Camaro and they are slightly blue. I would recommend 6,000K for very very white lights with a slight shade of light blue. The 8,000Ks looked very cool at night but they are tiny bit darker then the 6,000Ks with the blue light

Hey Tiger20005, how about some pics with the hood flipped up showing the back of the headlight assemblies?

Here's the 8,000s:

Attachments

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
ruledawg said:
I have my HID kit I just need my SKY. I will be doing a full walk through with pics and step by step insturctions once I get my car.
How are you going to ge around the fact that the SKYs low beams ARE the Daytime Running Lights???

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
90 Posts
it all depends on which kit you get. There are some kits with high's/low's. If you get the kit that only has one beam. Then you won have day time running lights. Which is alright. Because I dont think day time lights look too good anyway.

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
..I actually put my Camaro's HIDs on my Suburban and for the last 8 months they have done fine.
The HIDs don't care if they are on at night or during the day. They run cooler anyway so it's not like they will get hot in the sunlight. We've put about 15,000 miles on our Burb with them on with out problems.

They sure do like bright, even during the day!

·
Registered
94 Posts
ruledawg said:
that would be awsome thank u and if anyone else has a link where they have done it pm me please

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
compression said:
it all depends on which kit you get. There are some kits with high's/low's. If you get the kit that only has one beam. Then you won have day time running lights. Which is alright. Because I dont think day time lights look too good anyway.
Is not that it has a low/high beam in the same bulb. The SKY uses SEPERATE low/high beam bulbs; the Daytime Running Light ARE the low beam bulb but on at a lower voltage, in other words, not a full power. That's why I was wondering how the HIDs will operate during the day since they will be receiving lower voltage from the DRL system, I know the ballasts are there to increase the voltage to make the HIDs come on but I'm not sure if the even lower voltage of the DRLs may interfere with the operation of the HID kit... :eek:

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Sorry this is from the manual but I will have the real pics maybe tonight...

Head light Assembly (Rear View)

Replacements Bulb Specs

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Okay I need verification, someone with a Sky please go take a pic with the DRLs on and then flip the lights on and take another pic. I want to see the low/high setting that the DRL/low beams should have.

The DRLs should stay on with the ignition turned on and the parking brake released.

THANK YOU THANK YOU!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Here are pics of the lights:

Low Beam

High Beam

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
tiger20005 said:
Here are pics of the lights:
Low Beam
Awesome, thanks!

How about a similar pic of the DRLs (Day Time Running Lights)?

·
Registered
251 Posts
My DRL lights did not light up (as it may have been too dark for DRL's).

Hey we should be able to disable the DRL's by clipping or unhooking wire(s), maybe even just pull a relay. I had DRL's in my Toyota and it was a seperate set of wires that ran tot he headlight and I just followed them back and unhooked them and problem was solved, no daytiem running lights but lowbeams were fine. I will do mroe research into this!

·
Registered
325 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks Tiger, see if you can get a day DRL pic today.
By the way, clever vanity plate!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Okay i will try again don't know what the deal was yesterday, I parked it right int he little sun we had! I am all for seeing what someone can do with soem HID's, love how we all are working together to noodle this out be4 we actually upgrade...good planning!

Yeah I wanted SKYZLMT but someone took it long ago!

·
Registered
251 Posts
Guys did you know you can pull relay 48 and/or 49 and disable the DRL's? The handbook states DRL are the relays 48 and 49 in Fuse Panel under the hood!

48 is DRL Relay
49 is DRL

I will play with these relays and see where it gets me today!

·
Registered
182 Posts
tiger20005 said:
Yeah I wanted SKYZLMT but someone took it long ago!
Tony, a couple of brothers at work wanted me to get this plate, but looking at your picture this would fit you a lot better than it would me !! (let's see if I can get the attachments in)

Attachments

·
Registered
251 Posts
Bwahahahaha! Wish I would have thought of that, GREAT IDEA!!!

1 - 20 of 21 Posts