Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The 2 SKYs I have seen seem to use the Low-beam headlights as the DRL's (Daytime Running Lights) :eek: so I was wondering what kind of problems would one run into by switching those halogen lights to the HID's??? If I'm not mistaken you can't run HID's at a lower voltage as the SKY would be set up for the DRLs.

Regards,

:willy: BA :willy:

·
Registered
90 Posts
Well it depends on which HID kit you go with. Right now I am running 6000K HID system on my solstice. Which is pretty much the same lighting system as the sky. I am using a single beam kit. So there is no high or low. You just have the single beam. That being said. With this kit. It doesnt run during the say time unless it is dark out or something. Because it is all automatic. Turn on and off by them self. I would say go with the single beam kit. Unless you really want high and low beams. You wont need high beams with HID's. I know I dont need them anymore

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I thought the Sol's DRLs are the Amber turn signals, right?

Regards,

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
SKY Spy said:
I thought the Sol's DRLs are the Amber turn signals, right?

Regards,

I think you are correct...
the Sky's lights are really good, I don;t seee a need for HID's in it unless you may want to drive at night really really fast LOL then put you some HID's in place of the FOG lamps instead....

·
Premium Member
850 Posts
I live out in the sticks a bit and I have no problem seeing way down the road with the Sky's lights. I can't see how HIDs will help unless you intend to run over 100mph, and even then I am not sure you would outrun the Sky's highbeams. The only real reason I can see for going to HIDs is just to say you have them.:confused:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
These are on my list of mods for my RedLine SKY and I'm starting the research so that I don't get any surprises when I do actually start to do the conversion!!!

I know there are few here planning the same conversion and at first I thought the SKY would have the AMBER turn signals as the DRLs and not the low-beams, that would had been a lot easier than having to find a way around the DRLs now. :banghead:

Regards,

·
Registered
90 Posts
oh my mistake. I thought you wanted to change your head lights to HID's. I dont really see the point in changing your fogs. Then that would be just for bragging rights. :lol:

·
Registered
325 Posts
My Burb runs DRLs as the HIDs and it does fine (at least for the last 15,000 miles)

By the way, before our Burb's battery went dead the HID headlights would not come on with the low voltage.

Can you confirm that the DRLS switch over to a higher voltage for the low beams. With the Halogens they would just be a dark yellow with less voltage if that was the case. :confused:

·
Premium Member
2,165 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
bradyb said:
My Burb runs DRLs as the HIDs and it does fine (at least for the last 15,000 miles)

By the way, before our Burb's battery went dead the HID headlights would not come on with the low voltage.

Can you confirm that the DRLS switch over to a higher voltage for the low beams. With the Halogens they would just be a dark yellow with less voltage if that was the case. :confused:
YES. DRL's use the same low beam halogen bulb but at a lower voltage making it somewhat dimmer (not as bright) and when the HEADLIGHTS are TURNED ON then they come on at the full, normal voltage... :thumbs:

Regards,

1 - 9 of 9 Posts