Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hello everyone, I'll cut to the chase.
I was taking a left turn in my sky at about 20mph-40mph (not sure what speed exactly) and esc and tc kicked and my front passenger wheel hit the curb (rashes the wheel and tire pretty good) and it nicked my passenger rear as well. So I went to take the car and get it aligned and the shop touched the front and got it mostly in spec and for some reason just adjusted toe in the rear. So I'm wondering if I should bother trying to see if the chassis might be twisted. Any help would be much appreciated. Thank you all.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I would ask them about the rear toe. If that is the best they could get, you may have a bent suspension arm.
Thank you for the suggestion Robotech. I'm gonna take a look at my rear suspension when I get the chance.I'm surprised when I took the front wheel off and looked at the suspension nothing seemed bent or cracked and when the guy at the shop mentioned that it was good that I brought it in, I asked them if anything seemed bent or cracked to which the said no. I'm probably gonna end up taking the car to another alignment shop because I waited 2 hours for them to align the car and they didn't even touch the rear camber, I'm just happy that the front is mostly back to spec and that at the least the rear toe is barely in spec now. Maybe it being mostly in spec now is a sign that the chassis isn't twisted at least I hope. Won't ever know unless I take it to a frame shop of course.

·
Super Moderator
11,488 Posts
If the chassis was tweaked, you'd know it. Don't ask me how I know. lol

I would suggest taking it to a Chevy dealer who can do an alignment on a C7 Corvette. Out suspension is remarkably similar in that we have camber, toe and castor adjustments in the front AND rear. Most cars do NOT have rear castor adjustments and some alignment shops will insist yours doesn't. It does.

With a hard whack like that, I'd have the whole suspension reset to factory settings except camber. I'd have them set camber to -1*. Gives you a bit more grip cornering without horrible tire wear.

Damn, I miss skersfan's inevitable "curby" comment...miss that guy.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)

I would suggest taking it to a Chevy dealer who can do an alignment on a C7 Corvette. Out suspension is remarkably similar in that we have camber, toe and castor adjustments in the front AND rear. Most cars do NOT have rear castor adjustments and some alignment shops will insist yours doesn't. It does.

With a hard whack like that, I'd have the whole suspension reset to factory settings except camber. I'd have them set camber to -1*. Gives you a bit more grip cornering without horrible tire wear.

Ok I'll look into that and what about the settings for the rear camber? I'm assuming 0.0° toe all around too?

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
Ok I'll look into that and what about the settings for the rear camber? I'm assuming 0.0° toe all around too?
Definitely follw @Robotech 's advice about taking it someplace that can check rear caster. My '08 had an impact like that before I bought it and I was told that a full alignment had been done, but I later determined that alignment did not include rear caster. By the time I figured out the problem 3000 miles later I had destroyed a brand new set of rear tires.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
One thing not mentioned is that your wheel(s) might be bent. Alignment shops clamp their laser equipment on the wheels, so your new alignment might be all messed up.

Jack up your Sky and spin the front and rear tires by hand and inspect for a wobble.

·
Registered
618 Posts

A good Toyota dealer can do it as well. I was working at a Toyota dealership for an outside vendor and they did an alignment for me and got it absolutely perfect. Actually better then the GM dealer did. Just make sure like Robo said, they can do camber, to and castor. hmmm....could be because the alignment guy was bugging me for 3 days to drive my car too....LOL

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A good Toyota dealer can do it as well. I was working at a Toyota dealership for an outside vendor and they did an alignment for me and got it absolutely perfect. Actually better then the GM dealer did. Just make sure like Robo said, they can do camber, to and castor. hmmm....could be because the alignment guy was bugging me for 3 days to drive my car too....LOL
I made an appointment at a toyota dealer near me for this weekend and I made one at a chevy dealership next month as well just in case the toyota dealership can't get it aligned. I also might try rotating the front passenger wheel to the rear driver side and see if it makes any weird noises or vibrations/shaking maybe it'll give me a good clue to if the wheel was bent in the hit. I didnt notice any crazy vibration after the first alignment but it seems the car stills pulls slightly to the right though not really enough to be noticable with the steering wheel to me at least.

·
Registered
1,152 Posts
Heed my earlier comment. You would be very surprised how easily a wheel gets bent.

Our son owns a 2013 Hyundai Elantra with 5 spoke alloy wheels. I have already replaced 3 of his 4 alloy wheels in separate incidents from gentile mishaps, and two more wheels have gentile wobbles he lives with.

I myself owned a 2004 Chevy Aveo with steel wheels. In snow/ice, I turned into a parking lot at 10 mph and gently broad-sided a curb with my right from wheel. That was enough to render the wheel unusable.

"Lateral Impact" is NOT something the auto industry designs well for.

·
Super Moderator
6,566 Posts
I made an appointment at a toyota dealer near me for this weekend and I made one at a chevy dealership next month as well just in case the toyota dealership can't get it aligned. I also might try rotating the front passenger wheel to the rear driver side and see if it makes any weird noises or vibrations/shaking maybe it'll give me a good clue to if the wheel was bent in the hit. I didnt notice any crazy vibration after the first alignment but it seems the car stills pulls slightly to the right though not really enough to be noticable with the steering wheel to me at least.
Did the Toyota dealer cnfirm that they can check the rear caster on a Sky? There is a specific gage needed to do it, and it seems like it would be a minor miracle if GM and Toyota did something that was compatible.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Did the Toyota dealer cnfirm that they can check the rear caster on a Sky? There is a specific gage needed to do it, and it seems like it would be a minor miracle if GM and Toyota did something that was compatible.
I cancelled the appointment. Their service department wouldn't answer the phone. I'm just gonna take it to my local gm dealership after confirming they can align the rear caster.

Sent from my Z6530V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
376 Posts
The local Chevrolet dealership near us has technicians that used to work for Saturn and are familiar with the Sky. You might want to check with your dealership to see if the techs are versed with the Sky and Solstice.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Just got off the phone with my local gm dealership. Made an appointment for this Saturday and confirmed with them that they're alignment tech should be able to align the car no problem. They said he's worked on c6, c7 and 5th/6th gen camaro. Sounds like I'll be in good hands. I checked my wheel last night too via the screwed driver test and I only noticed the lip change distance where the curb rash was at. Maybe I got lucky(doubtful), I guess I'll see once I get the car realigned on Saturday.

Sent from my Z6530V using Tapatalk

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
So somehow the dealership did a worse job that the other shop but hey at least they washed my car. I've only driven the car since the last alignment (a week ago) a total of 29 miles. I'm confused as to why the alignment numbers are way different from a week ago.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts