Saturn Sky Forum banner

Hit by a drunk last night... Camaro Dead :(

2K views 16 replies 12 participants last post by  bradyb 
#1 ·
I was coming home from work late last night after a stupid moth set the alarm off at 2:00 AM. The car was running great and nobody was on any roads.

I was on a two lane interchange ramp in the outside lane going about 60 MPH. I looked back and saw a pickup with only it's parking lights on coming up on me fast. I pulled over to outside lane as the ramp turned to the left. Well the idiot kept an driving straight and hit my driver's side door and front fender. He must have been going about 80 becuase it pushed my front end around and I found myself staring at a concrete wall. I tried to turn back but I hit the wall going about 40MPH at a 45 degree angle. Both T tops flew out and the air bags deployed. I hit my airbag pretty hard and the passenger side air bag was powerful enough to push the wind shield out form the inside! I blacked out for just a bit and came to when the car stopped.

The guy never stopped, he just kept on driving.:mad: It looked like an old late-70s pickup but I didn't get a chance to see the license plate.

The Highway Patrol showed up and insisted that I fell asleep and hit one wall and then the other. I told them they were just adding insult to injury and asked that they listen and I was able to persuade them that the damage to my car dictated that somebody did hit me and I didn't fall asleep. :banghead: By the end we were all buddies but my gosh, give a guy a break!:willy:

Anyway so here I am with a totaled car and 18 months to wait for a R/L. Any ideas on what I should do? Would my local dealer let me lease or get a loner for cheap until the R/L arrives? Can I get a super cheap 18 month lease? I just want to stay away from losing $$$ with a new car's depriceation. Should I just get a $3,000 SC2 and keep it as a winter beater for when the Sky arrives?

See less See more
#2 ·
bradyb said:
Anyway so here I am with a totaled car and 18 months to wait for a R/L. Any ideas on what I should do?
Wow ! Sorry to hear about your accident, but thank goodness you weren't hurt.

Question: Did your dealer tell you it's going to take 18 months until your Red Line arrives ? What number are you on the waiting list ? You're aware that the original 2007 delivery date was moved up to September of THIS year, right ?

#8 ·
Just talked with the body shop, he's thinking that it won't be totalled out. The book value on the car averages to about $18K with out my modifications, he thinks it will be $10,000 to fix her. I guess that's okay since I can stick to the orginal plan of just getting a Sky and driving the Camaro but now I'll have to drive an almost totalled car. With this much damage I don't think it will even drive straight anymore.

I'll get some pics up for you guys.

#11 ·
Thats terrible! Glad you are okay!

Did the police collect car fragments from the accident? Surely some of the pieces on the road would belong to the other driver's car and could affirm your story. Or perhaps paint from the other vehicle may be on your car giving you at least the color of drunk driver's truck.

With a few pieces of evidence and the sighting of a banged up pickup missing the parts that are thrown across the highway you may be able to find this guy.

As the previous posts have said... I agree... get a nice SC2 (1994 if you want) for a few thousand. Simply check for oil problems, I can't think of many other common wears those little twin cams get. It was a great car for me and really was a pleasure to have before my Sky came along.

Good luck with everything!

#12 ·
Glad you are OK...
Hope thi smess works out. You know with the length of time we wait (or waited, in my case :D ) all kinds o fthings are happening.
We've even heard of people dying while waiting for their SKY. Let's hope it is Alllllllllllllllllllllllllllll good from here on in!:thumbs:

#13 ·
1994SC2 said:
Thats terrible! Glad you are okay!

Did the police collect car fragments from the accident? Surely some of the pieces on the road would belong to the other driver's car and could affirm your story. Or perhaps paint from the other vehicle may be on your car giving you at least the color of drunk driver's truck.

With a few pieces of evidence and the sighting of a banged up pickup missing the parts that are thrown across the highway you may be able to find this guy.

As the previous posts have said... I agree... get a nice SC2 (1994 if you want) for a few thousand. Simply check for oil problems, I can't think of many other common wears those little twin cams get. It was a great car for me and really was a pleasure to have before my Sky came along.

Good luck with everything!
I agree with trying to find the person who hit you...A gal in our office got simlarly smacked one night, but we investigators found the badguy and she got her car paid for. Check other police reports. IN our case, the other driver actually called police in the next jurisdiction and claimed someone hit her and left...we cross checked those reports and got the police involved. So.....you have a good point. Statistically, most hit and runs happen close to the perp's house, as most accidents happen within a mile or so from home. You could burn some shoe leather and see what you can find. You'd be surprised how often a hit and run person will hit a second someone the same day they hit you.
Most people these days take off because they are 1) impaired, 2) uninsured 3) already wanted by police 4) believe they'll get by with it and would rather not pay!

#14 · (Edited)
Thanks Guys and Gals.

The truck that hit me had a metal bumper so we can't figure out what color paint the truck had. The truck already looked like crap and the only damage he had would be a slightly bent front bumper which could be 60% of the old trucks out there. 90% of the damage is from me hitting the wall. The only metal body panel on the car are the rear quarters so every other panel that gets hit is ruined since they are plastic and fiberglass. I don't even think the Highway patrol is even looking for the other vehicle honestly. Remember they told me that they would give me the benefit of the doubt like they were doing me a favor by not reporting that I fell asleep at the wheel!

The body shop is listing the following:
Front fenders
Hood
Front Facia
Passenger Side Head Light, Signal Light, Fog Light
Front Bumper/Styro
Passenger Inner Fender
Driver's Door Panel
3 Wheels
4 Tires
Passenger Mirror
Wind shield
Air Bags and Sensors
Both T Tops
Steering Wheel/Dash

Stuff we can't see that's probably bad.
Engine K Member/Mounts
Oil pan
Front Passenger Subframe
Front Passenger Suspension
Rear Axle

Sounds like totalled to me. :mad:
I told the body shop that after they take her apart we're going to go for a ride and I'm going to tell him everything that needs to be fixed. If they are going to fix the car they better look at it as a restoration and make it perfect.

#15 ·
Was told a long time ago, and after working in the FD for nearly 20 years, found it very true, the number of accidents after 1am til 6am nearly triples, and most are related to ETOH, or sleep... Also, never run the fast lane at nite, as if someone is drunk, and driving on the wrong side of the road, they then tend to believe they are in the slow lane, even thou they are on a head on collision with you.

#17 ·
$17,168 in damage:eek: $2,000 hood, $800 dash, $950 T Tops are a few prices that stand out! I just received the estimate, the insurance company is going to check it out tomorrow morning for an official "total out".
The car according to Kelly it's worth $17,700, NADA says $18,500, (for a five year camaro that's not bad).

Anybody know where I can buy a Red Line Sky?:banghead:

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.