Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, I am having my top replaced. The material wore so bad that it opened up leaving about a 1 inch long tear. My camera is busted so i can't take a shot but I'll give a general idea where it is. Driver's side right above the door lock. It looks like when the top is down in the trunk the side of the top fits real snug against the fender well. It appears as tho due to movement from the top during storage the top rubs against the carpet on the fender and wore a hole in the fabric. We also noticed today that both the driver's side and passenger side gaskets are completely mangled due to the windows not fitting properly in the corner closest to the windshield. Obviously these dont need to be addressed as the new top will have new gaskets.

We also noticed that the rubber stop on the passenger side under the decklid fell off. The driver's side is barely attached. This is a good time for my forum friends to check thier vehicles over. I noticed today when i went to wash my car.

I love the car, but i'm a bit turned off by the use of cheap and inferior products. Specifically i'm noting the glue and double sided tapes. Yeah it's a first year car, but that doesn't ok using cheap products. Hopefully in the future they will better some of these small things.

My dealer was excellent, they came out and looked at the top and ordered it right away. I honestly don't mind about the problem, as long as i have my warranty I'm happy, and saturn seems pretty decent when it comes to customer service. The only thing that worries me is how long will it be before the top has another tear in it from a worn spot. I guess we will find out down the road.

I also have another problem that just started this week. The needle for the rpm gage keeps getting stuck below 0. When at idle i have had to give it gas a couple times to get the needle from below 0. I will have to monitor this issue and see if it worsens.

I'll let everyone know how it works out as the service dept will be replacing my top and decklid seal at the same time.

·
Registered
204 Posts
D'Oh!!! What a post to read as my Sky is on its way to me! :willy: :willy: :willy: :willy: :D

That being said, it's actually a good thing that you're pointing out the blemishes as well as the strong points. Gives me a lot more trust in your positive statements!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I can relate
I have been pretty lucky with my car - but I think that luck should not be part of it. The adhesive thing bothers me. It sounds like not enough research has been done on temperatures and vibration. The company I work for makes adhesives and we make tape and liquids that perform A LOT better than these do. Someone needs to do homework. Face it, the car trunk will vibrate and we all know how warm it gets in there – to top it off, while I live in Illinois (BTW the pads are fine on my care – one seemed to have slid a bit maybe ¼ inch – but both are firmly attached) places that get warmer to begin with will register some HORRENDOUS temps in there!
The roof problem is very interesting - I need to wash mine so it will be a good time to do an inspection!

·
Registered
452 Posts
Oh noooooooooooooooooo...

My camera is busted so i can't take a shot but I'll give a general idea where it is...
Since I too have an early RL VIN I'm VERY interested in what you have found. Would sincerely appreciate if you could borrow a camera and document in pictures.

R1chy

·
Registered
1,340 Posts
GM Problem

:banghead:
Our corvette hardtop has a recall for delaminating of the top, so GM and GM vendors not using strong enough adhesive seems to be a common problem. Its not just limited to the Sky's.

Tulsasky
:D

·
Registered
410 Posts
I will hopefully pick-up my second SKY this this week. I will pay very close attention to this RL as I've done with the base. This running to rich/ cleaning off the spark plug problem has got to stop as well as what has been mentioned in this post. I know this is a first year production product, but after producing the solstice, and thousands of SKYS, the RL's and GXP's should IMHO be good to go. :)

·
Registered
54 Posts
:mad: Pitcom, You have only had your Redline since Sept. !!! And you have a hole in the top already !!!! Wow, that concerns me.:brentil:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
:banghead: Sorry to hear that bud!

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
:mad: Pitcom, You have only had your Redline since Sept. !!! And you have a hole in the top already !!!! Wow, that concerns me.:brentil:
Yeah, my main goal is to try to determine 100% how it happened. But listen it's most likely an isolated occurrance. We have ALOT of forum members here with cars and I have only heard of 1 other person's car getting a hole in it due to wear. I really have to get a picture up so you can all see where the rub is and then understand why I believe its because of its storage position.
It's actually on rim of the top, the side piece thats stiched on. It's gonna rain hard tonight and tommorow but I'll do my best to borrow another camera to get a shot. I wasn't planning on buying a new one until the sales start. :lol:

·
Premium Member
2,302 Posts
Yeah, my main goal is to try to determine 100% how it happened. But listen it's most likely an isolated occurrance. We have ALOT of forum members here with cars and I have only heard of 1 other person's car getting a hole in it due to wear. I really have to get a picture up so you can all see where the rub is and then understand why I believe its because of its storage position.
It's actually on rim of the top, the side piece thats stiched on. It's gonna rain hard tonight and tommorow but I'll do my best to borrow another camera to get a shot. I wasn't planning on buying a new one until the sales start. :lol:
Pitcom - I'll be at my dealership for my first oil change tomorrow at 4 pm, but I can call you on the way home after that if you want to swing by and get a photo of it.

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Pitcom - I'll be at my dealership for my first oil change tomorrow at 4 pm, but I can call you on the way home after that if you want to swing by and get a photo of it.
Thanks, if it comes to it. I'll prolly just try to swing by the folks house and borrow thiers.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
I will hopefully pick-up my second SKY this this week. I will pay very close attention to this RL as I've done with the base. This running to rich/ cleaning off the spark plug problem has got to stop as well as what has been mentioned in this post. I know this is a first year production product, but after producing the solstice, and thousands of SKYS, the RL's and GXP's should IMHO be good to go. :)
Except that the problems you mention are happening to only R/Ls and there are few of them -- so for you - it starts all over with new stuff...
:D

·
Registered
1,086 Posts
The foam blocks have been a problem for a while. I told my dealer about it. They looked it up, they removed my foam blocks, and reglued them using a stronger glue. If not for this forum, I would have known to have them fixed before it became a problem.

Earlier VIN, 1971

Hope this helps!
Kent

·
Registered
302 Posts
Pitcom,

What ever happened with your top? Did you get any pics of the tear?

·
1,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Pitcom,

What ever happened with your top? Did you get any pics of the tear?
Believe it or not, i have not found the time to bring my car into the shop for repairs. Very busy time with work. I hope to get it in after this week when i'm finished what i gotta get done.

·
Registered
737 Posts
Well, I am having my top replaced. The material wore so bad that it opened up leaving about a 1 inch long tear. My camera is busted so i can't take a shot but I'll give a general idea where it is. Driver's side right above the door lock. It looks like when the top is down in the trunk the side of the top fits real snug against the fender well. It appears as tho due to movement from the top during storage the top rubs against the carpet on the fender and wore a hole in the fabric. We also noticed today that both the driver's side and passenger side gaskets are completely mangled due to the windows not fitting properly in the corner closest to the windshield. Obviously these dont need to be addressed as the new top will have new gaskets.

We also noticed that the rubber stop on the passenger side under the decklid fell off. The driver's side is barely attached. This is a good time for my forum friends to check thier vehicles over. I noticed today when i went to wash my car.

I love the car, but i'm a bit turned off by the use of cheap and inferior products. Specifically i'm noting the glue and double sided tapes. Yeah it's a first year car, but that doesn't ok using cheap products. Hopefully in the future they will better some of these small things.

My dealer was excellent, they came out and looked at the top and ordered it right away. I honestly don't mind about the problem, as long as i have my warranty I'm happy, and saturn seems pretty decent when it comes to customer service. The only thing that worries me is how long will it be before the top has another tear in it from a worn spot. I guess we will find out down the road.

I also have another problem that just started this week. The needle for the rpm gage keeps getting stuck below 0. When at idle i have had to give it gas a couple times to get the needle from below 0. I will have to monitor this issue and see if it worsens.

I'll let everyone know how it works out as the service dept will be replacing my top and decklid seal at the same time.
When I went to the dealer to finalize my purchase tonight, I asked them if there was room in the trunk to put bubble wrap over the stowed top because of the damage that is occurring to the top. The design is now changed to allow space for the top support so it doesn't rub. Hopefully, this will remedy the damage caused by friction. Will submit pictures when I pick up my baby on Thursday.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts