Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Checked out a Honda S2000 the other day, really neat car.

The engine is interesting;
2.2 liters (actually 2,157ccs) 4cylinder putting out 237hp @ 7,800 rpms and 162 lb.ft @ 6800 rpms with a redline of 8,000rpms.

The timing chain turns a primary gear that engage the cam shafts said to improve timing accuracy. The engine block, head and oil pan are aluminum with the cylinder liners constructed of a fiber-reinforced metal for weight savings (don't know what the fibers are). Forged pistons with reduced skirts and for less friction, roller bearing cam follows also reduce friction.

Of course the chassis, with double wishbone suspension at each corner, compliments the engine, as well as a 6 speed short throw, direct shift manual transmission, limited slip diff, and disc brakes all around (front; vented 11.6": Rear; 11.1") 17" wheels and tires with massive 245/40 on the rear. Of course ABS and brake assist are standard, but new for 06 is the addition of Honda's VSA (Vehicle Stability Assist) with traction control.

The price was $34K but considering that leather is standard, as well as a power top with a glass rear window and some other convenient features, it seems like a good value when compared to the expected SKY Redline. I expect a fully loaded SKY Redline to be priced at least $30K and more with options.

I didn't test drive it, but I'm sure the engine requires a lot of revs to make it go quickly (like a motorcycle), and it isn't available with an automatic transmission, a feature I think many SKY buyers will choose (especially that it's a 5-speed).

http://automobiles.honda.com/models/model_overview.asp?ModelName=S2000

Anyone test drive the S2000 and compared it to other similar front engine rear drive 2 seat roadsters?

5K13.R3DL1N3

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
I really thought about the S2000 but the dam thing started at $48K Canadian. That was base price. I just couldn't afford it. I've been told that this is the last year for the S2000 because it's been sitting on the dealership floors. I don't know if it's true but I have to say when the dealer I talked with wrote down $48,000 Base I stopped him right there and walked away.

I want a roadster. I don't need a power demon. I'll be happy with my Sky!:thumbs:

·
Registered
727 Posts
I have a lot of respect for the S2000 as a great roadster, but it just doesn't excite me any. I doubt I would throw one out of my garage, but the styling doesn't make me want to go out of my way to buy one either. It's also not cheap, which doesn't help, but I do love the driving position of the car.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Fformula88 said:
I have a lot of respect for the S2000 as a great roadster, but it just doesn't excite me any. I doubt I would throw one out of my garage, but the styling doesn't make me want to go out of my way to buy one either. It's also not cheap, which doesn't help, but I do love the driving position of the car.
Can you offer any thoughts about the Z350 or Crossfire roadsters?
The Sky has a pretty distinct appeal personally, but if they ran at comparable pricepoints,
(strictly hypothetical, or course :<), how would you rate these?

·
Registered
380 Posts
sky vrs Crossfire/350Z/BMW Z4/ Miata

skywatcher said:
Can you offer any thoughts about the Z350 or Crossfire roadsters?
The Sky has a pretty distinct appeal personally, but if they ran at comparable pricepoints, (strictly hypothetical, or course :<), how would you rate these?
I presently own a BMW Z4 and a Miata. I was seriously considering adding the Crossfire to my stable. I really liked the car. My wife loved it. It is plush and loaded with goodies like power top that folds into the trunk, but I found the ride and handling to be slushy for a roadster, so I decided not to buy. The 350Z definitely has it all together with all the amenities, but I thought it felt and looked big and boaty. The car drives very well. Basicaly I didn't like it's looks that well, so ruled it out. I drove a Solstice before I put my order in for a Sky. The Solstice handle better than the Miata and very comprable with the BMW Z4. The Sky's great looks and assumed ride & handling overcame the lack of trunk space, power top, heated seats, etc. Dollar for dollar, I don't think you can beat the Sky. Just my opinions.

·
Registered
102 Posts
skyfan said:
Dollar for dollar, I don't think you can beat the Sky. Just my opinions.
Thank you skyfan, very much.
Sounds like the kappa cars have that roadster edge I want.
Great summary and comparisons.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
You have to keep the REV's up, for having 230 plus HP,the 162 FPT is low, and if you check out the 06 Miata the lines are close to the S2000. I have a 2001 Miata and with 155 HP it performs good. I want a car that will turn heads both s2000 and the Miata are good but not Pulse stopping.:cheers:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I made an error when writing about the S2000 "...it seems like a good value when compared to the expected SKY Redline.", as the Redline is not even out yet, nor are the specs known. The SKY has great looks which I prefer a bit over the Solstice, and sort of reminds me of the Z4 styling while the S2000 does have a rather plain wedge look (but looks are subjective, while the driving experience is a significant factor in valuating cars such as these).

On another note I did test drive a 06' Mazda MX5 today. It was more comfortable to sit in than the S2000 with good leg room (I'm 6'2"), yet it did appear small inside and out. While seated, everything seemed to be placed just right, the gauges and shifter, the tilt wheel helped too (don't think the S2000 has a tilt wheel). The power was pretty good for a 2.0liter (think it's in the 170ish HP range) and it handled and responded well, brakes are very good too. I think this is more of a competitor to the Kapa cars, as the prices seem more comparable. I'm sure this is old news, Edmunds.com did a video comparision test between the Soltice and new MX5, they seemed to favor the Mazda slightly.

For those who haven't seen it.
http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/VideosCategoryIndex/category=Comparison%20Tests#18

I look forward to test driving the SKY, especially the Redline version once it is released. I expect, from what I've read from varios sources, that the Kappa cars will offer a great value when considering the performance (not just HP, but driving dynamics) and the price.
5K13.R3DL1N3

·
Registered
38 Posts
I used to own an '00 S2000. Was a really fun car, it had the previous engine in it (f20c) and rev'ed to 9000rpm.

Great car, but had very little torque....handled like a go-cart.

·
Registered
29 Posts
jimbo said:
The S2000 would have been my choice, if GM didn't introduce the Solstice and Sky. Great car.
:agree:

I think the previous S2K's front end looked even better than now. Some other things to note about the S2000 is that when the displacement was bumped from 2.0L to 2.2L (while retaining the same horses, just now more low end), they also: modified the transmission gears for the new engine output, raised and moved back their X-Bone rear-frame to keep the same handling while creating a more compliant ride and have the ability to have 10mm wider tires, and made the second, third, and fourth foward synchros out of carbon fibre. Another nice thing to mention is that it is technically a front-mid-engine car, since the entire engine sits behind the front center "axle" line creating a near, if not perfect, driving proportions.

However, I have to agree that the S2000 doesn't stir my soul... at least not any more. In its introduction in 2000 it most certainly did. But now, it seems a little conservative. I wouldn't have minded that at all if GM never built the Kappas; but GM did build them, and next to them, it just doesn't look as hot :cool: With the Redline and GXP predicted to pump out 260hp out of the turbo charged, direct injected, 2.4L and gobs more torque thanks to forced induction, I think the new cars will be more than a match for the S2K. Besides, if you pass gas (i.e. fart) the right way you can add an extra 20horses to turbo charged cars, they just make crazy amounts of power for little money.

·
Premium Member
1,640 Posts
$35k

While it is not exactly a roadster, if I wanted to spend $35k+ for a new car and performance was a primary concern, I would buy a 2006 Pontiac GTO to put in the garage next to my 1964 Pontiac GTO.

I may test drive an S2000 and a Miata - but so far the Sky (likely Redline) is at the top of my short list for when my current lease is up.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Gto

Just got a 2006 400 HP GTO new 28K 33 miles on it. has the older vet motor...Seal9

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
seal9 said:
Just got a 2006 400 HP GTO new 28K 33 miles on it. has the older vet motor...Seal9
The older LS1 based ones make 350HP not 400HP, those are the newer LS2 based GTO's that use the current Corvette engine.

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
Thats good to know, I have been reading the GTO Forum to up date my self, I think I will have fun with this GTO..Seal9

1 - 15 of 15 Posts