Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
34 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know majority of the people in here loves the Sky... and pretty much
have nothing negative to say about the car... but I hope someone can honestly give me an unbiased opinion.

I have a 2006 Mustang... and a 2006 350Z...
I'm planning on... actually I've deposited for the Saturn Sky 2 weeks ago...
and waiting for my image this week.
I love the look of the Sky... I have no complaints about the exterior at all... and that is the number 1 reason why i'm planning on buying one...
but I'm very concerned about everything else.. I've sat in the Sky before and honestly... the interior truly makes the car lose value... from the cheap plastic they use all around... to the design of it...
also.. how is the performance? I'm going from vehicles with 300+HP down to something with 175HP... that is a very big change....
How good are Saturns? Most of my cars have been Hondas.. Toyotas.. Nissan... and I think we all can agree that imports last much longer than domestic cars... I dont have any friends that owns a Saturn.. so I cant get any opinions on how good Saturns are...

So... is the Sky a good purchase for an everyday car? Anyone have any complaints with the interior etc.??

·
Registered
136 Posts
AnhCung said:
have nothing negative to say about the car... but I hope someone can honestly give me an unbiased opinion.

I love the look of the Sky... I have no complaints about the exterior at all... and that is the number 1 reason why i'm planning on buying one...
but I'm very concerned about everything else.. I've sat in the Sky before and honestly... the interior truly makes the car lose value... from the cheap plastic they use all around... to the design of it...
also.. how is the performance? I'm going from vehicles with 300+HP down to something with 175HP... that is a very big change....
How good are Saturns? Most of my cars have been Hondas.. Toyotas.. Nissan... and I think we all can agree that imports last much longer than domestic cars... I dont have any friends that owns a Saturn.. so I cant get any opinions on how good Saturns are...

So... is the Sky a good purchase for an everyday car? Anyone have any complaints with the interior etc.??

well my kneejerk reaction is to tell you to wait for the RL version, you are goin to be very bored with the Sky, very quickly after comin from 300 hp+ machines. It's a great handler, but chances are you'll probably get bored, wait for the RL, my 2 cents ;P

·
Premium Member
830 Posts
I don't think you would be happy with a SKY, it a roadster, unlike the cars you have owned. It will not have the power, but this car is not about power its about fun...Seal9:cheers:

·
Registered
61 Posts
Greetings,

I have a fully converted '92 Mustang with all the Saleen options you could have purchased in the past 14 years. It will put down pretty much all the cars on the road in its class. I recently acquired a Sky. My opinion, having driven both, and my Stang dyno'ed at about 378 whp, is that the Sky is the way to go if want a normal fun drive. If you want to burn the blacktop or leave others in the dust, you still have your Z and your Stang. I am not buying the Redline version either. Even with its 260 hp or whatever, the dual exhaust and custom visuals/appearance are appropriate for the price you will pay, it will not be fast enough for me on "track" days. I didn't buy the Sky for power, I bought it for the image and the image only. On the streets, where most are paved for no more than 80 mph, anything that takes less than 8 seconds to reach that speed is ridiculous IMHO.

Regards.

·
Registered
357 Posts
AnhCung said:
... and I think we all can agree that imports last much longer than domestic cars...
Sorry, but I can't agree with you at all. :nono:

·
Registered
192 Posts
It sounds like you have a need for power so I would suggest you pass on the Sky. Let someone have it that would enjoy a cool ride without a need to light up the tires. I just completed a 700 mile trip and loved every minute of it but then I'm coming from a 99 Miata. My brother is the muscle car fan in our family and he is even considering a Sky after driving mine this weekend.:thumbs:

·
Registered
277 Posts
My opinion, you will not be happy with the Sky if it will be your everyday driver. I have had many Hondas, Toyotas, and Acuras and I have high standards for qualify. I realize the Sky is new and there have been some pot holes in Saturn's road to success with this car. But, you put the lack of power into the mix and you are not happy with the interior...I would pass.

By the way, the Sky is a Toy for me. I still drive my Acura as my everyday car.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
GMguy74 said:
Sorry, but I can't agree with you at all. :nono:
:agree:
2 imports - 2 losers

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
AnhCung said:

Saturns have been known to be reliable long lasting cars. Most people do not realize that alot of innovations have come from Saturn.

·
Registered
136 Posts
richmcc said:
Saturns have been known to be reliable long lasting cars. Most people do not realize that alot of innovations have come from Saturn.
This is true, but the thing to keep in mind with Saturn (And even imports for that matter), is that this is the first MY of a brand new car for Saturn, nothing else done like this before. I'd say 'enough' of them will have issues that will have you taking the car back to the dealer multiple times. If you're that worried about it, you need to wait. If you are that unsure of what I say, take a look at the ION Redline. Enough of the 04s have reoccuring slight issues. Not 'reliability' issues persae, but still dealer visits....

·
Registered
277 Posts
I know I was going to get some heat for my post, but I am just weighing what issues I have had with my imports and what issues I have had with my Sky. Everyone will have different experiences.

I also suggest reading some other posts with other opinions about the car.

·
Registered
176 Posts
if you want this type of car,then the redline is your only choice.the redline is the sky on steroids...as far as american quality,read the union label,thats the problem.don`t blame GM.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
AnhCung said:
have nothing negative to say about the car... but I hope someone can honestly give me an unbiased opinion..
Yes we love the SKY but I also know what the car is (to me)

AnhCung said:
but I'm very concerned about everything else.. ..
Wow "everything else" that is quite a list. But I see your trepidation coming on

AnhCung said:
I've sat in the Sky before and honestly... the interior truly makes the car lose value... from the cheap plastic they use all around... to the design of it.....
That isn't going to change. You buying a SKY will still "stick" you with an interior you don't like.
AnhCung said:
also.. how is the performance? I'm going from vehicles with 300+HP down to something with 175HP... that is a very big change......
Yes just doing the math shows you that -- The Sky is really a touring bike. It is not how fast you get there but how you look and feel while getting there. Kind of like the difference you see in motorcycles. Sky is not a crotch rocket -- it is a touring bike set up for the road.
AnhCung said:
How good are Saturns? Most of my cars have been Hondas.. Toyotas.. Nissan... and I think we all can agree that imports last much longer than domestic cars... I dont have any friends that owns a Saturn.. so I cant get any opinions on how good Saturns are.....
This will be my 4th Saturn -- best made cars I have ever had -- and when I have had a problem -- they made it their problem and took care of it. Also I have owned two imports and I find their interiors terrible and they were both #1 & 2 as the worst cars I have ever owned.

AnhCung said:
If you are single -- use the car for commuting and errand driving -- sure it will be OK for everyday. It really is made for riding about and touring though...

Good luck I hope this helps...

·
Registered
326 Posts
glock919 said:
if you want this type of car,then the redline is your only choice.the redline is the sky on steroids...as far as american quality,read the union label,thats the problem.don`t blame GM.
Obviously you don't understand their importance. Crappy people make crappy unions. Its like saying guns kill people not the person pulling the trigger.

·
Registered
176 Posts
pulling the trigger...kills people,unions kill jobs.thats why the interior looks so cheap.100,000 union members doing nothing but collecting $125,000.sittig in a will call, if needed room.

·
Registered
192 Posts
glock919 said:
pulling the trigger...kills people,unions kill jobs.thats why the interior looks so cheap.100,000 union members doing nothing but collecting $125,000.sittig in a will call, if needed room.
I've been reading your threads and you sound like a kid with no money and jealous of the rest of the world. Grow up!

·
Registered
176 Posts
you must be driving the base sky.ordered redline will be paying cash.are you always 100% wrong or are you just having a bad day.

·
Registered
804 Posts
AnhCung said:
Here is my 2¢ worth:

You have some great cars with a history of power and class. The Sky isn't that kind of car. Even the Miata isn't close to what you have- yours are in a different class. If you like the style of the Sky enough to order one, then go ahead and get it, you will still love the looks- you might want to try for the Red line for some extra power, but either way, you will like it for what it is...and it isn't a 2006 Mustang or a 350Z.

As far as quality goes for Saturn... I haven't had ANY concerns with them. I bought one of the first Saturns made in 1991 and ran it for 14 years with 246000 miles. I only had it in for a thermostat (sp) that went out, and the driver side seatbelt motor got stuck half way down. That's it. I gave it to charity and they sold it for $550. Not bad for a car I bought for under $9k.
NOW SAYING THAT... I don't know how the Sky will fair due to the fact it isn't made in a Saturn only plant.
As far as imports go, we have had a Toyota which rusted out in about 8 years and went to the junk pile. Also had a Civic which ran great, but again, rusted out and fell apart. Both cars after 5 years had $100's of dollars in repairs each year to keep them running.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Getting back to the question at hand. You have hot cars with lots of HP and I'd guess you are used to the HP. I doubt that driving a great looking car that gets beat by almost every other sports car on the road (including the Mazda) will impress you.

Wait for the RL. It will give everyone a run for their money.:cheers:

1 - 20 of 23 Posts