Saturn Sky Forum banner

Kappa-Based Saturn Sky: Hot or Not?

• A - Gotta Have IT! Most Beautiful Thing I've Ever Seen - Outstanding

Votes: 87 79.8%
  • B - Pretty Good (or clean, or nice), I'd definitely Look at it in the Showroom

Votes: 15 13.8%
  • C - Some may really like it, but it doesn't do much for me, there's some things I would want changed

Votes: 4 3.7%
  • D - Mmmm, So-so. I'll pass. There's something wrong with it in my eyes/not my style

Votes: 2 1.8%
  • E - Ugly?!? The Aztek has nothing on this thing

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • F - Oh my gosh! Is a paper bag for the driver standard? (or "what were they thinking?)

Votes: 1 0.9%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
I mentioned in an earlier post that my sister like myself was very interested in the Solstice. Then she saw a few pics of the Sky that I emailed her. She's resolute now, she wants a sky! And when I mentioned it would likely be offered with an automatic her reply was, 'Well someone will get use out of that'.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hot or Not Polls for exterior styling (and thread bump):

2007 Kappa-Based Saturn Sky
Saturn Curve
2006 Pontiac Solstice
Buick Bengal
Chevy Nomad
Vauxall VX Lightning
OLD Saturn Sky from 2002 Auto Show Circuit

with a few words and tidbits I've picked up:

Legend has it the newest addition, the 07 Sky is supposed to pick up a lot of the styling cues from the VX Lightning. I can see it, myself, in certain areas (outer front edges, a certain curve in the headlamps, the sharper rear decklid "humps", and the hood vents and side scoops are some common themes I noticed).

It's unfortunate, but Saturn's unoriginal marketing folks seemed to be stuck on the name "Sky" and so we have two very different vehicles with the same name - luckily, they seem to have had no influence on the design... :D Thank goodness for small miracles.

The Curve and Nomad were from last year's show circuit - 12" extended wheelbase versions of the Kappa Architecture.

At one time, I... unhhh... I mean Bob Lutz had a vision of producing the "Topless Triplets" on the same platform - at the time it included my... unnhhhh... his baby, the Solstice, and relied on the Buick Bengal and OLD Saturn Sky to increase the platform volume.

Hope that helps, new folks arriving: Welcome! Add your $0.02 and give exterior styling a grade!!

·
Registered
727 Posts
I like its edgy, aggressive styling. Not as much as the Solstice, but I do think it looks good. My biggest reservation with the styling is that it almost looks too tied in with current styling trends, and that will give the design a short shelf life. That may not be true of course, and it certainly looks fresh right now. My second would be that it does get a little busy. Lots of openings in the front end. The vents on the hood. The chrome strips across the tail lamps. Its certainly not a simple and clean design. A lot is going on in there.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
I love this car. I think it's a design that could become a new classic for future generations. I understand what you're saying FF, but it's [Solstice design basis] classic because it was a revolution in design when the older generation of today were my age. This is a new generation of car I feel to become classic for me.

The Sky is the car I want for sure. It's just a matter if I can wait for it or not. I lvoe the Solstice as well because it does look so classic. And I feel I would be just as happy owning it as well.

·
Registered
19 Posts
solsticeman said:
What do you think about the "Brand New Saturn Roadster" with a "Borrowed, Resurrected Name". Latest in a series of polls about exterior styling - am bumping all the other ones as well, so all the new folks can add their $0.02 to the mix.
I rated the Sky as: A - Gotta have.....
And I currently have a 2003 BMW Z4 2.5i - which is a great looking, performing and handling machine.
But I'll be looking for a new ride in 2006 and I gotta say that the Saturn Sky is definitely numero uno on my list.
If it has as much leg & headroom as my current BMW Z4 and can hold 2 medium sized golf bags with the top down, then it'll definitely be my next ride :thumbs

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Skyward said:
and can hold 2 medium sized golf bags with the top down, then it'll definitely be my next ride :thumbs
Ouch, now that might a problem.

·
Registered
19 Posts
brentil said:
Ouch, now that might a problem.
My Z4 will hold 2 fairly large golf bags, so 2 smaller golf bags should not be a problem - if the designers took the needs/desires of the intended target market into account...

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Skyward said:
My Z4 will hold 2 fairly large golf bags, so 2 smaller golf bags should not be a problem - if the designers took the needs/desires of the intended target market into account...
If those two small bags can fit in 2 cubic feet then you might be able to pull it off. It'll mainly depends as people have said before how the 2 cubic feet is layed out in there.

·
Registered
6 Posts
It is definately a cute car, but it looks a little like the Hyundai Tiburon only in a convertable. I'm not liking the tail lights and it's a little angular for my taste. Should be good little car.

·
Registered
19 Posts
brentil said:
If those two small bags can fit in 2 cubic feet then you might be able to pull it off. It'll mainly depends as people have said before how the 2 cubic feet is layed out in there.

:confused Where does that 2 cubic ft trunk space estimate come from?
A Mazda Miata has GT 5 cubic ft of trunk space and it'd be hard to believe that the trunk of the Solstice or Sky would be less than that of a Miata.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Skyward said:

A Mazda Miata has GT 5 cubic ft of trunk space and it'd be hard to believe that the trunk of the Solstice or Sky would be less than that of a Miata.
It comes from a lot of places but none official. Started back last spring when the car mags reviewed some test mules, one of the reporters estimated the space (pinned at top of news section now). I think is has also been unofficially confirmed but others "in the know". It ain't over until the fat lady sings but I think I see her in the hallway :leaving

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Skyward said:

The Miata's roof sits right behind the front seats, which when up I hear actually can be used as extra storage area. That way when the roof is down it doesn't use up any trunk.

The Solstice/Sky on the other hand, the roof retracts into the trunk. From what we've been told from magazines is the trunk is 4 cubuc feet, and when the roof is down it's cut in half to 2 cubuc feet.

·
Registered
19 Posts
brentil said:
The Miata's roof sits right behind the front seats, which when up I hear actually can be used as extra storage area. That way when the roof is down it doesn't use up any trunk.

The Solstice/Sky on the other hand, the roof retracts into the trunk. From what we've been told from magazines is the trunk is 4 cubuc feet, and when the roof is down it's cut in half to 2 cubuc feet.
Well, here's what puzzles me:
The Sky is the same length overall as my Z4. Optically, the Z4 appears to have a shorter rear deck than the Sky. The Z4 softtop also folds into the trunk taking up some space, but leaving more than enough space for 2 midsized golf bags OR several weekend getaway bags. Gven that the Sky appears (externally ) to have a larger trunk than the Z4, on what basis (other than a car magazines speculation) would the Sky have less trunk space??
Question - does the Sky carry a space saver spare tire in the trunk which reduces usable space?? (the Z4 has runflats)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Skyward said:
The Sky is the same length overall as my Z4. Optically, the Z4 appears to have a shorter rear deck than the Sky. The Z4 softtop also folds into the trunk taking up some space, but leaving more than enough space for 2 midsized golf bags OR several weekend getaway bags. Gven that the Sky appears (externally ) to have a larger trunk than the Z4, on what basis (other than a car magazines speculation) would the Sky have less trunk space??
Question - does the Sky carry a space saver spare tire in the trunk which reduces usable space?? (the Z4 has runflats)
The Sky/Solstice has no spare tire, it supposedly has a can of run flat. We're going off what several people have given as descriptions and what magazines have written. A main reason for small trunk area is proabbly because the fuel tank sits right underneath the trunk flooring.

Don't get me wrong, we're all hoping these numbers are way off. But nothing we've seen or been told at all yet has hinted otherwise.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Skyward said:
It is our undestanding that there is no space saver spare tire, and I do not believe it has runflats either.
There is some device that comes with the car, but I can not remember what it is called, maybe Brentil, Solsticeman, Fformula88 or one of the people that have been around the forum longer can give you more detail. I know Solsticeman in a thread we had, discusing the trunk space, use a formula based on a drawing from GM and came up with measurements that were close to the 2 cubic feet with the top down and 4 cubic feet with the top up. Maybe since he is the new moderator he can reposted for you. I found the thread, it was called Trunk Volume Guess, under the Solstice Technical discusion heading.
:smile

·
Registered
138 Posts
Skyward said:
The Sky is the same length overall as my Z4. Optically, the Z4 appears to have a shorter rear deck than the Sky. The Z4 softtop also folds into the trunk taking up some space, but leaving more than enough space for 2 midsized golf bags OR several weekend getaway bags.
I've been puzzled by this myself for a while. Here's a visual of the 2 car profiles.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
mceb said:
I've been puzzled by this myself for a while. Here's a visual of the 2 car profiles.
Yeah, things like this continue to make we wonder why the trunk is so small. The Z4 has 9+ cubic feet of storage space according to cars.com.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
LatinVenom said:
...I know Solsticeman in a thread we had, discusing the trunk space, use a formula based on a drawing from GM and came up with measurements that were close to the 2 cubic feet with the top down and 4 cubic feet with the top up. ...
NOTE: the drawing was my own creation - NOT a GM drawing. It was based on methods called "Fermi estimation" (yet another hobby... kinda logic questions that Microsoft and other tech companies like to use in their interview process. Using rules of thumb and guesstimates, one can guess the number of Pontiac dealers in the US, or how many piano tuners could currently be supported by the population in New York, or the volume of water flowing through the Mississippi River each year... or the rough dimensions of the trunk volume of the Solstice.)

mceb said:
...I think is has also been unofficially confirmed but others "in the know". It ain't over until the fat lady sings but I think I see her in the hallway :leaving
... and I hear her clearing her throat and doing voice exercises... :lol

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Also, at the risk of hijacking the thread - if you look the Z4 decklid is taller yet than the Solstice. It only takes about 4" to gain a bunch of storage space. My guess is the Z4 top folds in three pieces like a "Z", and stacks on top of the fuel tank. The top piece of the roof acts like a tonneau cover for the top (the silly snap-on piece that you have to install on the Miata/S2000).

Like most convertibles, it stows in it's own place and does not affect the volume of the trunk. Add to this that the other roadsters don't have large hydroformed rails - they are traditional stampings (which require significant investment), and can more efficiently package everything together. The Z4 also does not have a traditional SLA rear suspension - they use a multilink suspension in the rear which also allows more space.

I'd bet the Solstice/Sky is not a 3-pc fold, but from the cutaway pics only folds in two pieces - a much less efficient way to fold - PLUS it stows in the trunk. AND they've got to deal with the AFBTS's which take up more space. AND they have two huge rails right where we'd love the trunk to be. AND it appears they have a very large muffler - which looks like it would force the trunk floor between the rails higher.

It doesn't take much to eat 5 cubic feet down to 2 or less.

It's really amazing how much information you get from a cutaway drawing...

1 - 20 of 34 Posts