Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hot Rod Magazine this month (May 2006 Issue) has the pictures and basic directions (along with the parts list) to take a stock Solstice and shoehorn an LS7 into it. It's a pretty interesting article.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,360 Posts
We've got several members with Mallett Solstices and Delnari has plans already to do the Mallett Sky I believe. They're a Supporting Vendor over at the SolForum as well. They offer turn key solutions, but some people liek to do it themselves, and that's where this article comes in handy to those people.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
FReaK said:
There's actually a company that does this swap, they will be offering the same swap(s) for the SKY
That wasn't the point, everyone knows Mallett is doing packages. He is also making the cars look gross with extra badging and goofy interior upgrades.

The point of me posting was that Hot Rod lists all the components so you could (with the right tools) do it yourself. Which IMHO is much better than paying someone to do it.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
4,876 Posts
FReaK said:
OK, I'm sorry, LOL


Everyone point and laugh at FReaK......

:lol:
:D we no laugh at you...
:D we laugh with you :cheers:
 

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
Joined
·
5,953 Posts
brentil said:
We've got several members with Mallett Solstices and Delnari has plans already to do the Mallett Sky I believe. They're a Supporting Vendor over at the SolForum as well. They offer turn key solutions, but some people liek to do it themselves, and that's where this article comes in handy to those people.
Brentil, Del already received his Sky and loaded it up to go to Mallet about a week ago. Maybe ten days ago. Duh since Del lurks on this forum, Del what about it? We be waiting brother about a write-up. Want to hear. Skip....:lol: :cool:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
623 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
FReaK said:
OK, I'm sorry, LOL


Everyone point and laugh at FReaK......

:lol:
I don't point and laugh, I just don't like it when someone treats me like an idiot. The only SKY and Solstice people who don't know about Mallett cars have been living in a hole since the vehicles where announced.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
Skip said:
Brentil, Del already received his Sky and loaded it up to go to Mallet about a week ago. Maybe ten days ago. Duh since Del lurks on this forum, Del what about it? We be waiting brother about a write-up. Want to hear. Skip....:lol: :cool:

Sorry Skip, my car just arrived today at the dealer. I'm on a snowriding vacation in Colorado at moment and won't return until next monday. The Mallett Sky for me has been changed from a regular version to a Redline now. I will wait until the fall and hopefully be carting my Redline version to Mallett.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
I had to go out last night and get a copy of Hot Rod magazine to read the article myself. Very interesting, a good read. They will be doing 3 more installments to the article with the final one showing real world numbers.

Having GM performance guy help with the design and parts was a really good way to go for them. They used all the knowledge and experience from these GM professionals to source just the right parts. Interesting how some of the same problems Mallett ran into came up in this article. They did go to the extreme with changing the rear wheel wells to handle massive wheel & tire package. Looking forward to the other follow-up articles and numbers.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Curious question , as I nor anyone I know has ever done one of these modifications but if you live in Texas where would you take it for warranty work? :confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
554 Posts
twirp said:
Curious question , as I nor anyone I know has ever done one of these modifications but if you live in Texas where would you take it for warranty work? :confused:
Well, you have two options. Take it to a Saturn dealership and see if they will honor the type of repair you are in need of, or have it transported back to Ohio for repairs. If its just normal maintenance then any GM dealership can service it; it's all GM parts. If something along the drivetrain breaks then you would need to contact Mallett Cars to arrange service.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
326 Posts
Im sure a Mallett modification would pretty much void almost every aspect of the warranty so the cost of shipping to Ohio would be totally out of the question. I do appreciate the reply.:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,677 Posts
twirp said:
Im sure a Mallett modification would pretty much void almost every aspect of the warranty so the cost of shipping to Ohio would be totally out of the question. I do appreciate the reply.:thumbs:
While it won't "void" your warranty, it would be very difficult to get warranty work done on your car unless it is obvious that the warranty item was absolutely not related to the modification. (magnuson-moss act, google it...)

Example: My seat latch broke. Would probably be covered.

Example: I broke my differential. Sorry, coverage denied as this was not the powertrain designed for this car.

Example: My wheel liner has a hole worn in it. (assuming you've gone to 19" wheels). Sorry, coverage denied - this car was not designed to have wheels with that weight.


Many of the other systems have justification in denial of warranty coverage - an engine swap changes or affects many aspects of the car, not just the powertrain. For example, many of the systems in a car use the communications protocol, so there can be unexpected electrical/electronic effects (my radio doesn't work, or my decklid doesn't work anymore). It doesn't seem like there should be an effect, but the decklid has to have vehicle speed information in the right format for it to operate safely...

just food for thought.
 
1 - 20 of 23 Posts
Top