Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Today I received an email from Motorsport Technologies about the Sky/Solstice.

Here is what they said:

MTI has been contemplating this idea for some time now. The Sky and Solstice are both exciting new vehicles but very underpowered. We hope to bring our tried and true 427 V8's into that market but we do not know for sure as of yet. Both cars are a bargain and we hope to offer 550 - 600+ HP normally aspirated engine conversions for them. If we choose to pursue this avenue you will definitely know either through the internet or popular magazine publications.

Thank you -

MTI

http://www.motorsporttech.com/

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
sky_vue said:
now if they can keep it under 10K then I may have to take back what I said about upping the eco tech..

:D

I'll try to find out how much they might charge.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Motorsport Technologies V8 conversion

I asked Motorsport Technologies what the mod might cost.

Here is what they said:

I really have no idea since we do not completely know what it will take to perform the transformation. It depends heavily on any custom parts that will have to be built and what components we choose to use in our engine assembly. More than likely we would use an LS7 power plant or one of our own depending on the requested power output. We'll know more by years end.

Thank you -
MTI

·
Registered
411 Posts
Awesome

AWESOME!!!! It's great to hear Mallettcars.com will have some competition for a much stronger engine conversion. That way, mabey they'll both have to stay competetive with lowering prices. :)

·
Registered
304 Posts
A 427 would simply be way too heavy and upset the balance. Consider this, the new Mustang GT gets over 300 hp from an Al block V8 that is SMALLER than the historic 289 of its past.

·
Registered
62 Posts
"too heavy and upset the balance"?? not sure if you're up on your research.. but we are not talking about a 427 BIG BLOCK bro... would that engine even fit in a sky?!

I dont know for sure, but I bet the all aluminum LS2 - 427 is lighter than the old iron 289's.. who can verify?!?!?

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
achieftain said:
A 427 would simply be way too heavy and upset the balance. Consider this, the new Mustang GT gets over 300 hp from an Al block V8 that is SMALLER than the historic 289 of its past.
I do believe the LS7 is a 427 (small block)--it is not much heavier than the LS2. Mallet, and possibly others, will be offering both engine conversions. So I dare not argue with the experts about what is or isn't too heavy for the Sky/Solstice. The 500HP LS7 crate motor is around $12,595 versus $5,499 for the 400HP LS2.

·
Registered
62 Posts
looks like an alternative "427" is in order.. LS7 is priced WAY too high.. stick with the 427 from the other builder.. then add a supercharger for the same price perhaps and have and extra 60 hp over the LS7.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The LS7 costs so much because it's a completely hand built crate engine.

·
Registered
304 Posts
brentil said:
The LS7 costs so much because it's a completely hand built crate engine.
There is a MotorTrend article last month I think detailing the build process of the LS7. It's with the special on the 50th anniversary of the small block.

·
Registered
62 Posts
well arent most engines "hand built" - how do computers install piston rings rods springs valves etc....

thats not really the reason it's expensive.. it's expensive because many of it's internals are made of titanium - and because it's a "race" engine with CNC ported heads.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
geerhed said:
well arent most engines "hand built" - how do computers install piston rings rods springs valves etc....

thats not really the reason it's expensive.. it's expensive because many of it's internals are made of titanium - and because it's a "race" engine with CNC ported heads.
There's a big difference between parts that are all mass produced then put together, and parts that are hand machined/refined. Hand built just doesn't mean it was assembled by hand, it means it was partially created by hand. That's what I get from all the GM News articles about it.

·
Registered
554 Posts
The LS7 is a precision built engine from GM; a first for a production car. This explains why the cost is over double that of the LS2 (they are some good articles on the web about the building of the LS7 engine).

If 400 crank power is not enough then you need to go with a good paxton blower ontop your LS2 engine. I heard reports from builders, including Mallett they are getting over 600 hp to the wheels with this setup!

·
Registered
62 Posts
agreed! to me, the price per HP of the LS7 makes it a non-option.. I dont care if monkeys built it - I do care however, what the dyno says and how much that costs. the supercharged LS2 sounds like winner in my book.

hhhmmm vortech or twin screw.... decisions decisions... :D

·
Registered
432 Posts
geerhed said:
agreed! to me, the price per HP of the LS7 makes it a non-option.. I dont care if monkeys built it - I do care however, what the dyno says and how much that costs. the supercharged LS2 sounds like winner in my book.

hhhmmm vortech or twin screw.... decisions decisions... :D
those are such good arguments, but i... just.... cant..... stay.... away...... ive still got to have that LS7 in it, and i will still be using a blower on that.... which should give me, what, 700+ at the wheels? for a 2900lb car? sounds good to me!

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
swatthefly said:
those are such good arguments, but i... just.... cant..... stay.... away...... ive still got to have that LS7 in it, and i will still be using a blower on that.... which should give me, what, 700+ at the wheels? for a 2900lb car? sounds good to me!
Where are you getting 2900lbs from?

1 - 20 of 33 Posts