Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am sooo depressed. I never realized just how low the front on the Sky is. Pulled up to park and went too far. I scraped the underside a little bit in front. Is this something to worry about? Can it be fixed? Will I need a whole new front bumper and what is this gonna cost me? I can't freaking believe it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
1,640 Posts
dunno

I can't really help with your question, but I can feel you pain. For a number of years I drove my 1964 GTO and then a 1967 LeMans - got very accustomed to putting the rear end way over a curb or even the front end right up until the tires hit - but then drove some smaller cars and scrapped em up pretty bad.

As far as what to do it would depend on a number of factors, what material is it, how bad is the damage, how large a single piece of material is involved, and whether any patch work would be visible (to the point where you would need to repait if you did patch vs replace).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,547 Posts
Unless you see a big ugly crack in your bumper, you probably just put some scratches on a part of the car you'll never see unless you crawl under it. You'll probably want to get some touch-up up paint on the scratches to keep rust from taking hold of your baby (assuming that the front fairing is metal).
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,676 Posts
Den1226 said:
I am sooo depressed. I never realized just how low the front on the Sky is. Pulled up to park and went too far. I scraped the underside a little bit in front. Is this something to worry about? Can it be fixed? Will I need a whole new front bumper and what is this gonna cost me? I can't freaking believe it.
I realize that this is not what happened to you, however it may save someone else some grief. When pulling into elevated driveway, parking lot entrances or going over Speed Bumps, always approach as much of angle as possible, this way one of the tires will lift the front of the car before it has a chance to scrape the bottom.

I personally am so lousy with parking blocks I really do not want to see what the bottom panel of my ION looks like:banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,417 Posts
Den1226 said:
I am sooo depressed. I never realized just how low the front on the Sky is. Pulled up to park and went too far. I scraped the underside a little bit in front. Is this something to worry about? Can it be fixed? Will I need a whole new front bumper and what is this gonna cost me? I can't freaking believe it.
Hey -- been there, done that... I got over it by the next day. Are the scratches really that noticable? I mean on mine they are way down low and almost impossible to see (see pic 1) unless you are down on your knees and looking up at them (see pic 2).

I did however use this Gs27 Scratch Remover (it actually does work well) on it and it worked to at least remove much of the noticable scratches and got me to a point where im no longer worried about the fact I scratched up my two week old baby.

New bumper? Terrible idea... its there because it takes the hits and kicks -- wait for something alot more serious than some under-the-car sratches to invest in a new one.
 

Attachments

·
Registered
Joined
·
750 Posts
Check with insurance

your insurance might cover it depending on your deductable and how much it cost to fix.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
483 Posts
You know, when you think about it, it makes more sense not to pull very far forward for visibility reasons. I can't tell you how many times I've started to pull into a spot, only to discover that a Miata or motorcycle is there, hidden by the vehicles around it. The Sky is pretty short, so I'm going to train myself to park it a little further back.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
39 Posts
excellent suggestion

skl8260 said:
You know, when you think about it, it makes more sense not to pull very far forward for visibility reasons. I can't tell you how many times I've started to pull into a spot, only to discover that a Miata or motorcycle is there, hidden by the vehicles around it. The Sky is pretty short, so I'm going to train myself to park it a little further back.
I too noticed how low the front of the Sky is - my husband wanted me to pull really far forward in the driveway, but I pointed that out to him.:rolleyes:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
277 Posts
1994SC2 said:
Hey -- been there, done that... I got over it by the next day. Are the scratches really that noticable? I mean on mine they are way down low and almost impossible to see (see pic 1) unless you are down on your knees and looking up at them (see pic 2).

I did however use this Gs27 Scratch Remover (it actually does work well) on it and it worked to at least remove much of the noticable scratches and got me to a point where im no longer worried about the fact I scratched up my two week old baby.

New bumper? Terrible idea... its there because it takes the hits and kicks -- wait for something alot more serious than some under-the-car sratches to invest in a new one.
Your bumper probably only needs a paint job, not replacing. But, I agree, wait until it is worse and spend a few hundred to put a fresh coat on it.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
2,686 Posts
:banghead: I have scratched mine twice. Once on a speed bump and the other coming out of a parking lot that had a downward slope before entering the road. But I will be waiting until it is much worst before putting her in for paint.:mad:
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
850 Posts
The front air dam of my Vette is really scrapped up, of course, it is 35 years old.:lol:
 

·
Moderator Emeritus
Joined
·
2,238 Posts
I've called your dealer. You can turn in your keys tomorrow.:mad:

Really...I'm sorry to hear that. But just remember the first scratch has to happen to all of us. That can be touched up. Ernest got a 3"er on the back fender. They painted it for $175 and he can't tell where it was.:thumbs:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thank you all for your responses and the pics. I decided not to obsess about it. I got over the first scratch on my 2001 SC1 and I will do the same now. Besides, unless I point it out, no one will know about it. It's so scary that it's human nature to worry more about what other's think. I think that's what was freaking me.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
58 Posts
QUICK HURRY OUT AND GET A NEW BUMPER!!!!

No just kidding, it's not that bad, it acutally happens to 95% of people whether they are parking or just driving on a funny road.

You can actually just buy some mothers mag and aluminum polish and rub the compound on the underside of the bumper and it'll remove the smaller scratches and it will also finish some of the larger scratches and make it less apparent that there are scratches down there. Depending on how deep they are, some of them are permanent and can only be fixed by repainting the bumper.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
727 Posts
It is so low, and sticks out there so far, it was bound to get scratched a bit sooner or later. It just happened to you sooner. Definately don't obsess over it. You may notice it, but I doubt hardly anyone else will. If it looks great at 50 feet, don't worry about it at all!

PS, when I park low cars, I like to park into spots that don't have an opposite space if possible, and if they do I prefer to back in. If I don't I have had problems with trucks pulling into spots opposite mine, and pulling right over the bumper/hood because they cannot see it past their own, high hood. I'd rather take my chances with the parking blocks than the hummer drivers! :banghead:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
308 Posts
those are what is known as Whiskey dings!!!!:D :D :D :eek: :eek:
 
1 - 16 of 16 Posts
Top