Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Honest answers from those of you who have had the car for a bit now, and are living with it.

I saw the poll in the other forum on who has another car, and who hasn't, but it doesn't really go into just how liveable the car is EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

If I am to get a Sky, I may or may not have to trade my current car in. What I want to know from you guys is, are you hindered by the limitations of the car being a 2-door-2-seater?

My main concern is that I'm going from a car with mild practicality to one that would, on the surface, seem not terribly "useful" but a helluva lot of fun to drive.

Any insight is appreciated.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Only drawback for me would be lack of trunk space....or should I say lack of trunk:D , for everyday use. So I say SUV and Sky perfect together!

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
As far as a daily driver -- considering you are in Texas (takes most of the chance for snow out of the question) I would agree the single detriment to the SKY is trunk space. If it were to be an ONLY car -- I could only recommend it to a couple or single. No way family groceries will go into this thing on a regular basis.
Now it does have trunk space - don't let the horror stories stop you. I've packed it with clothes and everything needed for a 1 week trip and was fine. Roof was down the whole time. If we'd been forced to put the top up - 2 weeks would have fit.
I just went to a Classic Car Show and packed 2-folding chairs, a wooden TV type table, two soft sided coolers and had plenty of room for the Best Of Show Trophy. But, top was up the whole time (except on display)

Oh and no trophies as it turned out... :confused:

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Went to the grocery store Yesterday, bought 5 24 ounce 6 packs of Mountian Dew and two bags of groceries, and still had room for more... of course i was by myself and i used the passengerside to put the stuff into, easier than putting the top back up to load them in the back. but I have had mine for almost 6 months now and I have had no problems as an everyday driver.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Mine has been a daily driver since it was delivered in May. No issues during the commute - almost too much fun and a great way to unwind at the end of a day.

We've taken a few week-end trips. We packed with the top up and had room for 4-5 days worth of stuff (depending on the amount of camera gear I haul). Once we reach our destination - top comes down. I agree with Rick - packing for a week is very doable, just forget the hard sided luggage.

:D

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Awesome, thanks for the comments! Anyone want to post a pic of a loaded trunk? ;)

The main stuff I'll be hauling, aside from trips to the grocery store, is camera gear, the biggest thing being a tripod, heh. I sure hope it'll be economically feasible to keep my WRX as my "useful" car (hey, I moved a freaking couch in the thing, it's good for something, hahaha)

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Mine has been a daily driver since it was delivered in May. No issues during the commute - almost too much fun and a great way to unwind at the end of a day.

We've taken a few week-end trips. We packed with the top up and had room for 4-5 days worth of stuff (depending on the amount of camera gear I haul). Once we reach our destination - top comes down. I agree with Rick - packing for a week is very doable, just forget the hard sided luggage.

:D
Also -- you can lay a lightweight suit and if light enough a long dress across the top, toward the rear. Avoid the "rib" of the top and go rear of that. Watch that the two "feet" of the lid (rubber feet that hold the roof down) don't grind the clothes...

·
Registered
802 Posts
Honest answers from those of you who have had the car for a bit now, and are living with it.

I saw the poll in the other forum on who has another car, and who hasn't, but it doesn't really go into just how liveable the car is EVERY DAY OF THE WEEK.

If I am to get a Sky, I may or may not have to trade my current car in. What I want to know from you guys is, are you hindered by the limitations of the car being a 2-door-2-seater?

My main concern is that I'm going from a car with mild practicality to one that would, on the surface, seem not terribly "useful" but a helluva lot of fun to drive.

Any insight is appreciated.
Keep the other car! One for chores and one for fun!

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Got one beater (91 S-10 Blazer) to haul stuff and the dog
Got one family Vehicle (07 Vue) to haul more than 2 people and my wife's walker or wheelchair
And the Sky for fun....

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
I have over 8k miles on mine already (delivered 3.5 months ago) and use it as my daily driver. I have about 1.5-2hr commute one way to work, so about 3-4 hours a day I'm sitting in the sky.

I would say that it works fine as a daily. I'm married but no kids so the groceries usually fit. I will admit that we do have a Tacoma also. Now that I have the sky, it pretty much sits in the driveway but its nice to have as an alternative for those big shopping days or costco visits.

One complaint I have is the lack of lumbar support. Some of those days, after sitting 2 hours in traffic, my lower back starts to hurt. Nothing major just thought I'd mention it.

·
Registered
450 Posts
my Sky is my only car. I am single...no kids...so I have very little groceries. The only thing that suks is that she gets pretty beat up driving through Miami everyday. I have a couple of paint chips from the trucks that travel I-95.

by the way...I am from Austin :) 30 years there! My entire fam is still there

·
Registered
141 Posts
I've had it for over 2 months and have not had any issues. I carpool to work everyday so we even get 2 rolling laptop cases in the trunk with out a problem.

I don't have another vehicle but even so, grocery shopping isn't a problem. I always put the top up while I'm in the store, and it's only 10 blocks home so I don't bother putting it down. Even so, the teenager that helped me out to my car FREAKED OUT a little when he saw the trunk. He was impressed with what we got in there (but not as impressed as he was with the car overall)

·
Super Moderator
6,459 Posts
Everyone's situation and needs are different. If you are doubtful about being able to do it, spend a couple of weeks pretending you are in a Sky, and there is nothing behind the front seatbacks. For the trunk, two large paper grocery bags is about the volume. If it won't fit, don't take it. It will really make you think about what you take, and when you take it. You may find that it simplifies your life. You may find that you can't do it.

By the way, this simulation will not be as fun as actually driving the Sky will be.:driving:

·
Registered
243 Posts
The major disadvantage as a "daily driver" is that prior to the Sky, the commute was way too long -- now it is way too short... :driving: :D

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
I'll start by saying I don't have my Sky yet, but I drive and have driven ford rangers for the longest time as my daily driver and at least 95% of the time I get by without even opening the back or putting anything there, I am single so I do use the passenger seat for grocery store runs etc..

I do plan on using the Sky as my daily driver, if you are really concerned about lack of trunk space get yourself a nice little motorcycle trailer, you can have it painted to match the Sky :thumbs:

PS. I plan to mold the rear end of the Sky and make a custom fiberglass trailer that matches the lines of the Sky for when I want to get away from it all, and take a little luggage to....:)

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Many of my daily drivers have been small cars: 356-A Porsche, VW Beetle, Karman Ghia, early Honda Civic, Suzuki Samurai, Alfa Romeo Duetto Spider, and Porsche 914. Granted, all of them had lots more trunk/cargo space than the SKY... especially the mid-engine 914 with a spare tire and TWO trunks... but I can't say that I really miss that extra cargo capacity in the SKY. For me, it works great as a daily driver.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Thanks all, this is definitely encouraging! :cheers:

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Hahahaha, gotta have the pictures of the (dead) bodies in a trunk :D

1 - 20 of 35 Posts