Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, I bought my car from a third party. He didn't seem all that hip to the history. It's a 2008 Redline. I tried the cruise control both ways, nothing. Today, I drove in competition mode and it seemed to hit 20-21 lbs of boost a few times. My question is, is that proof it has a tune? Does the stock tune strictly limit boost to 16 psi?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Well, I searched a bit and some people seem to get that kind of boost from stock. I wonder if there's another way to determine if it has the tune, before I buy it again. I guess I can try switching the competition mode off and look for lower boost levels?

·
Super Moderator
6,344 Posts
I have not heard of competition mode affecting boost level, although that could be an option.

Do your MAP sensors have one retaining screw or two?

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
It will display under the spedo if it switches. But try the anti-skid button. Mine is on that button as I requested it.. First press turns off the anti-skid (or whatever you call that) The next press goes to competition mode with trifecta and boost up to 23/4.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yreah, I have the two bolt MAP sensor. I just didn't get any history with the car and was surprised to see that much boost. Been looking forward to getting the tune and I just don't want to do it if it already has it. It didn't really feel crazy different, just gave me higher numbers on the DIC. It seems to have various states of performance without hitting any switches, maybe weather or heat soak related?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm in Los Angeles, so, basically sea level or a few hundred feet max. It was in first and second. I didn't really note the shift RPM. I do know my fan runs anytime I drive it more than 10 miles on a hot day, but that's regardless of the mode/cruise switch position.

·
Super Moderator
6,344 Posts
Good point. Don't you have to be in 4th to get the true capability?

·
Registered
562 Posts
Trifecta used to give you 1 of 2 ways to turn on the tune...either with the cruise button, or the Traction Control button. But I always thought if Traction was turned off, then the tune was in place. IDK.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
My Trifecta is on the traction control button. when the car fires up all is stock. press the traction control button once, all is still stock with TC turned off. Press it again and the tune is in. the condition is displayed in the display under the tach , momentarily, until the display returns to stock.

Reactions: The_Ghost

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
With two bolt sensors you may have an aftermarket tune but you don't have the GMPP tune.

Trifecta uses either cruise or the comp/traction button to implement their switchable tune.

The one sure way to find out if you have a Trifecta tune may take a little longer than soliciting a bunch of guesses on an internet forum, but it has the advantage of being a definitive answer. Email Trifecta with your serial number, tell them you bought the car and want to know if they ever tuned it for a previous owner. They keep records on every car they have tuned.

·
Registered
562 Posts
TBH, short of a tuner keeping records and being able to say yes or no, the only other 2 ways to find out if your tuned is to have someone with HPTuners look at your tune or a GM engineer read the 4 "part numbers" that reside in your ECM. OE tunes (factory or GMPP) have "part numbers" to the 4 parts of a tune. There are 8 total "part numbers" but only 4 contain the engine management tables.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I dont think that is the ONLY way. If you have "engaged" it according to the instructions and you get less than 18 inches of boost at 60 mph with the pedal to the floor, you dont have it. If you get 23 inches of boost, you have it. But beyond that, your back will tell you if you try it both ways.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Thanks, I'll try that first. I guess I'm best off just getting this tune if they have never done it. I can't go calling everyone who's ever tuned one trying to see if they've done mine. I don't really see any hard evidence it has a tune, and the way everyone describes the effect, I doubt it has one. I think I'll buy the Autometer performance meter and get some before and after numbers.

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
If you have a Trifecta there is a BIG difference when you punch it from 30 mph. If you had a back seat you would wake up in it.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
I dont think that is the ONLY way. If you have "engaged" it according to the instructions and you get less than 18 inches of boost at 60 mph with the pedal to the floor, you dont have it. If you get 23 inches of boost, you have it.
NB - the factory gauge reads in psi, not inches of mercury

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I said INCHES. Could me inches of mercury of pounds per sq inch. Take your pick to make yourself happy. One inch of mercury is .49 pounds per square inch. Make the conversion that makes you happy.

·
Registered
2,543 Posts
No, 'inch' does not mean psi. Sloppy usage (and in my years in science I have never heard anyone using it that way).. And you wasted one symbol's worth of cyber-ink by not just typing 'psi'. ;)

·
Registered
1,160 Posts
I did not say that 'inch' meant psi You have a gauge that has numbers on it. Use the damned thing and quit quibbling. As far as this conversation FI. Its not worth your time if one letter freaks you out. Good by.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts