Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
quote from page 3-67 under Audio System "When using the in-vehicle Bluetooth system, sound comes through the vehicle’s front audio system speakers and overrides the audio system."

ima have to see if my 08 has bluetooth cause id much rather bluetooth my music than plug it in the aux port every time.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
yeah i did a search afterwards and figured that out.

so is the radio itself important for bluetooth or just the vcim?

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Only '09s had Bluetooth
That is true..but if u wish to have bluetooth in any year car...just change your VCIM (with antenna)...of course if you have a build date before July 06', you will be unable to access both bluetooth and On Star...it is either...or..cannot access both

·
Registered
363 Posts
yeah i did a search afterwards and figured that out.

so is the radio itself important for bluetooth or just the vcim?
The only importance that the radio has is to control the volume out of your BT calls and the display will show the number calling or being called. That said, I would also guess that you would need to have the US8, US9 or UUI radios. Given what I've seen first-hand of the display on the original "base" radios (U1C), I don't believe it would support displaying numbers.

The actual BT "connection" is handle by the VCIM and it doesn't support A2DP streaming, which is what would be necessary to stream music from a BT-enabled device.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
so youre saying im out of luck if all i want to do is stream music?

·
Registered
363 Posts
so youre saying im out of luck if all i want to do is stream music?
If you want to do it via the existing GM system, yes.

However, there is an option.

I bought this item on sale at Amazon sometime last year:

In addition to being a BT headset, the unit also doubles as a BT receiver. It comes with a special adapter that lets you connect a 3.5" stereo cable between it and another device (in this case, the aux input on the headunit.)

Although it won't support streaming track info (text) or track control (through the headunit), it does have A2DP functionality, so it will stream the music from your phone to your headunit using a physical connection between the Samsung receiver and the head unit.

I liked this option A) because it was cheap when I bought it [$7.50 after MIR] and B) I can also use it in my Honda, which has a positively antique headunit compared to what's out there in the market today.

Short of that, the only way I can see to achieve true A2DP streaming would be to go with an aftermarket headunit.

·
Registered
2,055 Posts
so you streamed via bluetooth using that headset plugged into the aux connection on the front of the stock radio?

·
Registered
363 Posts
I have. I don't do it regularly since I installed the HHR radio with the USB port and just leave my ipod in the car, but I have done it on both the Sky and using an aftermarket ipod/aux kit I installed in my Honda. Works beautifully on both vehicles.

Plus, you get the added benefit of it actually functioning as a BT headset when you're out of the car.

You can find similar items that will allow you to stream A2DP using the aux input jack, but they tend to be more expensive than the Samsung thing; particularly if you can find the Samsung on sale or with a MIR (mail-in rebate).

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
That is true..but if u wish to have bluetooth in any year car...just change your VCIM (with antenna)...of course if you have a build date before July 06', you will be unable to access both bluetooth and On Star...it is either...or..cannot access both
MM, keeping the factory head unit in place, what is the best method for streaming music to the monsoon system? I'd like my phone to pair automatically when I turn the car on.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
MM, keeping the factory head unit in place, what is the best method for streaming music to the monsoon system? I'd like my phone to pair automatically when I turn the car on.
Since I do not subscribe to a SMART phone...I cannot answer that question. I have my music on a USB flash drive...my factory radio has a USB port.

Your phone does pair automatically to bluetoothe when your engine is turned on..providing u have a blutooth antenna in your VCIM..

·
Premium Member
56 Posts
Since I do not subscribe to a SMART phone...I cannot answer that question. I have my music on a USB flash drive...my factory radio has a USB port.

Your phone does pair automatically to bluetoothe when your engine is turned on..providing u have a blutooth antenna in your VCIM..
Yes, this is true for making phone calls.

My pursuit is music streaming well and clear. Is there a USB cord I can install in the glove box for the AUX connection?

I once had this 'chargable' bluetooth thing/dongle that you plug into the aux port on the front of the head unit, it would just dangle down but I had to take the thing off to recharge it back at home and I thought the thing was garbage.

·
Registered
17,336 Posts
Yes, this is true for making phone calls.

My pursuit is music streaming well and clear. Is there a USB cord I can install in the glove box for the AUX connection?

I once had this 'chargable' bluetooth thing/dongle that you plug into the aux port on the front of the head unit, it would just dangle down but I had to take the thing off to recharge it back at home and I thought the thing was garbage.
Rather than explain what people used to do, here is a suggestion. Get yourself a Cobalt or Malibu USB radio. It comes with an extra amp....you will need to adjust the sound because if u turn the knob to a higher pitch, u will blow your speakers....it is the extra amp. Taking apart your dash to install your radio is easy...many instructions are posted. The downfall to this AMP. Your chimes when opening/closing your door is also loud. Your directions when used will also be loud. A positive to these radios is....your bezel /faceplate of the radio is silver which matches your console...looks terrific but if u wish to change it to piano black, they r interchangeable. Your readout on the radio will no longer be amber. It will be teal but u can have amber if u wish for continuity. I will explain how that works if u wish to change that at a later date. The last thing...if u buy a used radio, u will need to have it programmed to your Vin number by a GM dealership. They are Vin specific.

·
Registered
3,950 Posts
In response to the streaming question @SKY_RADSTER ... NO you cannot stream to a factory radio. Even the cars with Bluetooth do not support streaming audio.

The Aux port is a simple analog audio input, no connection to USB. The USB radios (only a select few have them) only have a USB port on the front faceplate.

If you wanna do what you wanna do, you need a new aftermarket radio that supports streaming.

·
Registered
159 Posts
This is probably way too basic for what you are discussing; however, I simply plugged the thing shown in the picture into the aux port. The adaptor is good for about six hours. I recharge it by occasionally plugging a cable from the adaptor into one of the USB power outlets to the right.

My phone works through the car speakers; people say the sound quality during calls is good. Music/audio from the smsrtphone sounds good vua the Monsoon.

Attachments

21 - 35 of 35 Posts