Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have owned at least 20 cars in my lifetime, but I have never bought one that I never drove first (until now). I won't have my new sky for another 4 to 6 weeks (ordered on 5-26), and I'm nervous about how it will ride. Is it stiff? Is it "cushy"? Somewhere in between? I drove a Honda S2000 and absolutely hated the ride. It was stiff and harsh. I felt every bump in the road. Are all roadsters this way, or is the Sky different?

·
Registered
453 Posts
Hipsky said:
I have owned at least 20 cars in my lifetime, but I have never bought one that I never drove first (until now). I won't have my new sky for another 4 to 6 weeks (ordered on 5-26), and I'm nervous about how it will ride. Is it stiff? Is it "cushy"? Somewhere in between? I drove a Honda S2000 and absolutely hated the ride. It was stiff and harsh. I felt every bump in the road. Are all roadsters this way, or is the Sky different?
I love the ride, smooth but firm. It feels so good when your out on the road. Your going to love it!!
T.

·
Registered
420 Posts
the Sky is smooth like silk compared to the S2000!

the S2000 is a very raw sports car and comes from the factory with a pretty stiff suspension.

the Sky on the other hand is more refined in it's handling and ride quality thanks to the all-around SLA suspension with excellent Bilstein shocks.
the stock tires which are Goodyear Eagle RS-A's help to also achieve the ride quality and low road noise.

hopefully you can find a demo around your area and test drive it, then you can really see how smooth it is...you will love it! :thumbs:

·
Registered
104 Posts
compared to our Porsche it is like driving on glass it is so smooth and comfy. But don't let that fool you because it still rips through corners, so it isn't soft, there is no body roll.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
One of the guys at HB Saturn who had the yellow SKY told my husband that in terms of "handling", it was as good as his Corvette, just not the umph in terms of power. I thought that was kind of cool... Interestingly enough, and speaking of Corvettes, one of our SKY owners turned down a Corvette for a SKY. You can speak up if you wish! You know who you are!!!!:lol:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Bought mine before ever even sitting in one. I was concerned about the ride and interior space.

As for the size, I am six-foot-one, and my shin bangs the underdash of a Miata and the top of the windshield is right in my line of sight (both of my sisters have Miatas, and I had the opportunity to drive one for a few days. I could never own one.) The SKY fit me perfectly. Seat all the way back, to be sure, but I fit without banging my shins. I can see the road under the windshield, too. So perfect fit.

As for the ride? It's a hoot. It feels like you think the car should feel. Not a bouncy cruiser like my Bonneville, but not a skateboard like my Spitfire, either. Rides nice. Pleasant. But still corners like a sunovabish.

I love it. Hope you will, too.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
It is soft enough to allow you to enjoy the ride. It is stiff enough in turn to not allow body roll. It tracks like a cat and rides like it is on rails. Illinois has few hills and therefore our roads are pretty straight as well - so I have great fun taking expressway ramps at twice their posted speed. You don't even feel the pull. I did a 40 mph ramp at 85 and my wife guessed I was at the posted speed. (In no way do I say that speeding is good....) When driving this car you will discover that speed becomes very hard to judge. Unlike many low cars you actually feel like you are going slower than what you actually are. I think it is the wide-stance of the car.
By the way – first car I ever bought without test driving as well….. Have no fear.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
Hipsky said:
Have no fear, like others have said , it is not Caddy Soft, yet is is not S2000 Stiff, it is comfortable for me. and you will be impressed... others that have sports cars and have ridden in my Sky have been very impressed with it, even one guy with a Z06 Corvette...

·
Registered
804 Posts
Your not the first one to buy the Sky before riding in one. The first time I drove one was when I drove our Sky out of the show room at the dealership. After the first few turns to get out of the dealership, it was really easy to see the car was going to be a great driver.
I have been in the Miata and the 350 and I personally think the Sky has a superior feel and ride to both of those cars. You don't get your backbone wracked out of place going over pot holes either. I think it is going to end up being the 'one to look up to' when it comes to driving a roadster. The other cars have some serious catch up to do in comparrison to the Sky.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts