Saturn Sky Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well my sales manager called today and said the car had been built, it had a production date of 6/12 so i guess there on the money. Now how long should it be before I get it here in MA. I guess i need to start checking the cushions for the remainder of the money. I hope I'm not too far away, I have been dealing with disappointments since my initial deposit back in September. I had my car in March and then the dealer decided to change the price to $3000 over. Placed my deposit elsewhere the same day and it is now built. I cant wait for this car, gas prices with a full size SUV are killing me. So if anyone can help me with an estimate it would be nice, also how do all of you get them updates, I speak to the SM weekly but doesnt know what Im talking about when I ask him what number its showing as the status.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Your car come's by truck only by allied automotive about a 6 hour drive. Wait untill they say shipped ( 4200 ) then have your dealer set up a tracking account ( He can go to their site on line and set up an account ) or they can call they and find out when it's should be delivered. I had the phone number but wiped it out by acident, I'll try to search old post on the Solstice forum for post that I gave out the direct phone line for the local office.

I would say it should go to code 4200 in 1 to 2 week's.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
deluke said:
Your car come's by truck only by allied automotive about a 6 hour drive. Wait untill they say shipped ( 4200 ).
Here is a question... I would have thought all cars delivered in the north east would come by truck the whole way. The 1st one delivered here *and so far only one* came on a truck... but it was the only car... and the only GM product on the thing. All the others were Dodge Dakota's... and the driver said he picked it up at a rail yard in Buffalo. Any thoughts???

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
Here is a question... I would have thought all cars delivered in the north east would come by truck the whole way. The 1st one delivered here *and so far only one* came on a truck... but it was the only car... and the only GM product on the thing. All the others were Dodge Dakota's... and the driver said he picked it up at a rail yard in Buffalo. Any thoughts???
If your up by the upper NY canada line they will ship it by train to Buffalo. Then by truck.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
deluke said:
If your up by the upper NY canada line they will ship it by train to Buffalo. Then by truck.

Nope... I am on the NY/PA border, almost literally... my town borders PA... but I live about 15 minutes from the border... 4 hours from Buffalo. 3.5 hours from Wilmington, DE

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
Down here southwest of Philadelphia, near the deleware border, there is a major car storage lot where they load them on rail cars and ship them away. I know alot of cars get shipped up north on rail only because i see the trains headed that way. It's kinda neat, there is thousands of cars stored there. My Dealer was telling me some of the sky's and solstices pass thru this shipping site.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
todaresqSL2 said:
Nope... I am on the NY/PA border, almost literally... my town borders PA... but I live about 15 minutes from the border... 4 hours from Buffalo. 3.5 hours from Wilmington, DE
Ya, for some reason Pa goes by train mostly a few might go by truck directly but not sure not sure, it make's no sence to me and your close to pa, maybe that's why. Part of Ohio goes by train and another part goes by truck only. I think they do the cut off by miles. Look at the FL car's, they go west to Lordstown then get shipped back south east to florida by train. Then picked up by truck down there.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,570 Posts
deluke said:
Ya, for some reason Pa goes by train mostly a few might go by truck directly but not sure not sure, it make's no sence to me and your close to pa, maybe that's why. Part of Ohio goes by train and another part goes by truck only. I think they do the cut off by miles. Look at the FL car's, they go west to Lordstown then get shipped back south east to florida by train. Then picked up by truck down there.
Yepper, definately makes no sence. If they ship some to Ohio, probably the eastern counties... then why then would some in PA be shipped by train to Ohio... then have to backtrack on truck through the counties that were shipped by truck. No sence. lol... :rolleyes: :jester: :willy:

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
Although my dealer is less than 10 miles from the plant, I am told that the cars still get sent out on rail (sometimes across the country and back again) and then get trucked into the dealer. Makes you scratch your head. Hell, I'd go pick up the car from the plant if they'd let me!

·
Registered
141 Posts
>>> I hope I'm not too far away, I have been dealing with disappointments since my initial deposit back in September. I had my car in March and then the dealer decided to change the price to $3000 over.<<<

You should be PISSED. Thats about the worst story I've seen on this entire board. That is outrageous. You must let Saturn know about this. Saturn will probably cut this dealer off entirely with future allocations. Just pathetic.

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
SKYtime said:
Although my dealer is less than 10 miles from the plant, I am told that the cars still get sent out on rail (sometimes across the country and back again) and then get trucked into the dealer. Makes you scratch your head. Hell, I'd go pick up the car from the plant if they'd let me!
He doesn't know what he's talking about or lying take your pick !

Stop and think, are they going to spend all that money to ship it by train out west and then more money to ship it back. Then pay the trucking company. Ask your dealer if he relizes how stupid he sounds.

Probably want's to show your car for 1 or 2 week's. If your dealer find's out who is doing the trucking, once it's turned over to them they will let the dealership go and get it. Have your dealer make some call's.

·
Registered
1,279 Posts
SKYtime said:
CHECK WITH YOUR DEALERSHIP. Chrysler let us pick up our 1996 GTS from the Conner Ave Plant, and our dealership did all the paperwork :D . it was great!!:thumbs:

·
Registered
62 Posts
I asked my dealer the same thing yesterday and he said that GM was thinking about allowing this type of thing. We'll see.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Porsche will let you come to Germany, see your car being built. It seems that with all the problems they are having with trucking and toting Sky they would see this as a plus.

·
Registered
422 Posts
skywulf said:
Porsche will let you come to Germany, see your car being built. It seems that with all the problems they are having with trucking and toting Sky they would see this as a plus.
Most of the manufactures in Germany give customers the possibility to get the car direct out of the plant (VW, Mercedes, BMW, Ford, GM I'm not sure...).
They have employes in the plant for the final inspection and finishing (what otherwise is done by the dealer) and you have to pay a reduced price for "shipping".

Normaly it's combined with a visit in the production, they think it will raise customer loyalty - maybe.

·
Registered
1,129 Posts
Nico,
I think customer loyalty would be enhanced if Saturn took a cue from German automakers as this car is attracting luxury car buyers who expect a bit more and don't necessarily attach the lower price to any reduced expectations of how they want to be treated, which will translate over to purchases of other cars if Sky buyers don't have to lower expectations. Saturn should take advantage of the espirit de corps amongst those who are waiting, the atmosphere of we're in this together and embrace its customers and this experience as a marketing plus. Production tours, corporate sponsored gatherings, loyalty is what it is all about and roadster buyers who can go with the impractical for fun want to be catered to for sure! I have a Ford Taurus. It is my workhorse. With leather seats, four doors it is nice enough to haul my boss, but affordable enough I could own two at a time. I have owned three of them as my dealer and the car treated me very well and all three have had long very trouble free long lives. Ford took care of me and no one but Ford touches my car even though I pay more for it I think. My dealer knows his customers and treats us all like we are high falutin folks deserving of executive treatment. That sells cars, and lands customers. GM/Saturn needs to switch some folks from other car makers, just like Ford, but unlike Ford who failed to revitalize their offerings and have no "must have" cars, they hooked me with the looks of this SKY...as my toy car... but will Saturn keep me? Will the more practical car purchases I am supposed to make --two expected in the next two years -- land with Saturn or Ford? Cars are infrequent large ticket purchases and they need repeat business they need to capitalize on this move they have made with the Sky.

·
Registered
166 Posts
deluke said:
Stop and think, are they going to spend all that money to ship it by train out west and then more money to ship it back. Then pay the trucking company. Ask your dealer if he relizes how stupid he sounds.
Yea, but it's GM... Don't forget that good ol GM isn't doing too hot in the financial department. I wouldn't doubt that they do something sily like this, really. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2,381 Posts
Inwo said:
Yea, but it's GM... Don't forget that good ol GM isn't doing too hot in the financial department. I wouldn't doubt that they do something sily like this, really. :rolleyes:

Oh Please !! No way. These dealer's lie, how many time do you have to hear about it ? I happened with the Solstice and now the Sky. It's not GM you should worry about, it's MOST of the ( not all ) dealer's.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts