Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing ads posted for "parting out a couple of Skys". So there they go. But has anyone any idea of how many are still existant?

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
There were 86,374 Kappas registered in October 2017, and 85,036 in October 2018 according to data posted by The_Ghost a year and a half ago. I have not seen anything more recent.
Assuming that 1/3 of Kappas are still Skys, and the average 2% annual attrition rate has continued, there should be approximately 27,500 registered at this moment.

·
Registered
85 Posts
31,8% of all Kappa's were Sky's

Of all the 34239 Sky's about 32600 Sky's were actually sold to the public in the US.

So rolling Sky's in the US might even be a bit more rare than John calculated.

I only take a few notes and only since a few years on salvaged / parted out cars, but already have 2.28% of all Kappa's marked as salvaged / parted out.

- - - - - -
Data based on:

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
I recalculated using the referenced sales data for all Skys, since it is simple enough to move a car across the border, and assumed 2% annual attrition rate. The normal fleet attrition rate in North America is around 4%, but The_Ghost's data suggests closer to 2% given the nature of use for the Kappas. This is also pretty well supported by the number of registered owners from a report that I commissioned in 2017.

That calculation suggests that at the end of 2020 there will be 26,135 remaining.
Correcting my original estimate for 31.8% vs 33% suggests 26,230 remaining at the end of 2020.

So, i feel confident in stating the the actual number remaining will be between 26,135 and 26,230.
Give or take 1,000.

So yes, a bit more rare that I originally estimated.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
They seem to be pretty reliable mechanically. Mine has 92K, original water pump, and in fact nothing but some re-calls, oil changes, tires, and ONE battery change (in 12 years!) have put it in the garage. So accidents and neglect must be the biggest drains on the numbers. It seems that instinctively I would say a 2 to 3% annual attrition is a VERY GOOD number. I dont think most cars could claim that record at 12 years of age.

·
Super Moderator
5,562 Posts
Attrition for cars like ours is going to mainly be due to accident, since most mechanical problems can and will be fixed.

The attrition rate is low because most of them are not driven very much. Less driving means less exposure.

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
Hey we put 28 miles on our green car last year, how can you say their not driven much. It did get close 400 the year before, most at the National.

Yellow car got close to 600 this year due to continuous tuning with Robotech and PAW

The Bluestone has only been driven three times since it was restored. I would guess maybe 1200 miles on all three of them combined in a year.

I still feel like they are targets every time I drive one though. Did drive the yellow one about 40 miles yesterday. It was fun!!!!

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
mine is a daily driver with over 10K per year recently. It keeps it in much better condition and running better than it did the first few years with under 1K a year. They need to be driven or they deteriorate. like boats and airplanes. They are made to roar.

·
Registered
17,415 Posts
I believe I put 60 miles on this past year....and since there was only a few shows due to C-19...less miles this year. The car is 14 yrs old and garaged....vin 1414....41010 miles on it. I don't understand why the value has not risen. This was forecast to be a collector car after about 5 yrs after Wilmington shutdown...What do prognosticators know, anyway, rhetorically asked.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
It is a collectors item. I am a collector.

·
Premium Member
1,587 Posts
I believe I put 60 miles on this past year....and since there was only a few shows due to C-19...less miles this year. The car is 14 yrs old and garaged....vin 1414....41010 miles on it. I don't understand why the value has not risen. This was forecast to be a collector car after about 5 yrs after Wilmington shutdown...What do prognosticators know, anyway, rhetorically asked.
I fully believe they will be collector cars, but not in my lifetime.

·
Registered
2,874 Posts
. . . and you believed them? Asked while I sit here with a bit less than 50k miles on my 1st 1000 Solstice waiting for the value to do something other than drop.

:thumbs:

·
Registered
219 Posts
I am collecting them. Awesome underrated undervalued vehicles especially when they have all of the performance upgrades. 440hp in a 2900 lb car. I would rather have these than a Lambo or Ferrari. You can actually drive them and have fun.

·
Premium Member
5,277 Posts
Everyone has their own opinions. Not a problem for me.

My ideas are normally far from the beaten path. lol

I have restored vehicles, for many many years. Several National level show cars. They need to be started and moved, but no reason to be driven unless you want to. All of mine run perfectly and I keep them in perfect condition.

Love the car, just don't have enough time for them any more. Definitely not the center of my world, not even close.

Still too much work, too many model trains, and way too many bicycles to ride. I have 10 times more miles on my bikes than I do on these cars without a doubt. They do nothing for me as to living longer, or being healthy. Toys to be played with when I have time. Don't think that doesn't mean I don't love them though. My yellow car has become my favorite car of all time. I spent a lot of time making it like I wanted it and when it got there, that was enough. I just made a mod on it, the first in over two years. Not sure I like it or not yet. All are garaged and taken care of regularly.

I had a very rare Mallett, first production one sold. Car #4. Most people that bought one lost their asses on them. I built mine and made 10K profit when I sold it. I put a little over 200 miles on it in two years. It had just over 10K miles on it when I sold it. The wife's happiest day of her life. She hated the car!!!!

Miles make a value difference. The less there are the more the car is worth. Whether these things will ever be worth anything is argued all the time on this site. I will be dead and long gone before they will be worth more than keeping them and taking care of them.

For me, they are very good looking cars, and perform extremely well for a 13 year old car. I didn't buy it for an investment, but to have fun with. They have filled that billet perfectly.

·
Registered
17,415 Posts
I only found out about it about 12 hours before it was scheduled, and couldn't get there in time.

Ah well, such are the trials and tribulations of early Solstice ownership.

:phooey:

I heard they had great giveaways and the food was pretty good. They never did that for the Sky

1 - 20 of 46 Posts