Saturn Sky Forum banner

21 - 40 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
I was serious with the Pontiac Fiero with my first, a red 86GT-4spd, to my last an 88GT-Auto. I owned 6 GT's from 1991 and 2003, but never more than 2 at any given time. The conversation concerning "collector's value" at that time was more positive than what I am reading here. There is a greater sense of reality on this forum with the Kappa.

Enjoy your Sky in the way that suits your fancy. If you are filling up a warehouse with them anticipating a decent ROI, you will do better earning 1% interest in the bank......if you can get 1% these days.

It seems these days, the younger generation doesn't find owning a car to be something special. They shop on-line and have the car delivered to their home, or they go to a silly auto vending machine. They don't know what they are buying until after they own it, and they are fine with that. It's the same with owning a house. They prefer to rent an upscale apartment, or own a fancy condo. Their entertainment is watching a movie on a cell phone wherever they happen to be, not on a big screen TV at home. We live in a different world today. But......the COVID-19 lock down may have them thinking a little different over some of these things. Still, I would be very surprised if a Saturn Sky would one day be in high demand.

·
Registered
17,407 Posts
The nice thing about the SKY...if u thought nobody knew what it was back when....they really don't know what it is today...

·
Registered
194 Posts
I would rather donate them to deserving Sky loving people whom I thought would care for and appreciate them, than to make a few dollars and have nothing to appreciate for myself. I gave one away once for free. They loved it but later needed something to transport more people and decided to trade it in. I bought it and now own it again. If you look at how the talking heads rated them to how the owners rated them, there is a huge disparity.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #25 (Edited)
We are living in another world. When my marriage was young we bought antiques for furniture because they appreciated in value and new stuff didnt. My wife and I were recently trying to sell about half of our furniture and found that antiques just are not appreciated anymore. Two pump organs, two player pianos, and several one off and low production pie safes and buffets were getting comments like, "But I dont want OLD furniture".
I am trying to sell off my car collection since my wife died last month and I am downsizing. I have a 1956 Continental, a 1976 Lola, several Jaguars and an 50s hot rod among others, but I am getting NO TAKERS even before I mention a price. I would almost give some of them away IF I THOUGHT IT WAS TO A KID THAT COULD NOT AFFORD THEM. But not to a rich old codger that just wants to add them to his collection for way under their worth.
Kids today dont want OLD Tech.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I sent you a PM with details Dont think I could post them on this thread

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Yes, they are interested in 70s cars and call them antiques....crap,I was 24 years old in 1960. I am not an antique.....LOL

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
T540, FF, FSV, FA and most parts for all three classes including a spare engine block and several sets of wheels and tires.

·
Registered
223 Posts
Yes, they are interested in 70s cars and call them antiques....crap,I was 24 years old in 1960. I am not an antique.....LOL
70s cars? I cant think of any that are really desirable except for maybe some pre-emission early muscle cars (which would be out of price range for most younger folks) and maybe a couple random cases like the z cars.

80s and 90s cars are popular with millenials for the same reason muscle cars became popular with boomers -- fond memories, and they are generally attainable price-wise, and we all grew up working on them.

·
Registered
2,322 Posts
I share the dismay at the current lack of appreciation for the old things like antiques. I have a house full of them (third generation of collectors) and I continue to add the occasional antique clock to the group. When I moved a few years ago, I saw the same thing that Jim mentioned when I offered a couple of antique furniture pieces that I didn't think I'd have room for, for sale - they would rather buy 'new' crap from Ikea than touch any of that 'old stuff', even though the former will start peeling and coming apart while the latter have lasted a couple of hundred years and look good to go another century or two.

Different places, different attitudes. In Britain and the continent, antiques continue to bring much higher prices than they do in North America, and the Europeans don't tend to replace their cars every five years or so - they hang onto them and drive them for a couple of decades and they generally take good care of them.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I have plenty of friends who are into antiques and older furniture. I have a fair share in my house as well. My neighborhood was built in the 20s-30s and most of my neighbors are younger and love the old style of architecture. My favorite piece is a chair that sits in our living room that was at my great grandfather's marina, which I doubt I will ever let go.

Most of my peers are not going to jump at something simply because it is old -- has to actually make sense. See: midcentury modern furniture right now. The prices people will pay for authentic MCM furniture is nuts, and its also quite fashionable. Compare to 70s cars...are you expecting someone to jump at a clapped out 78 chevette just because it is old? You might get some nutball I guess.

Around here, antique furniture is everywhere, often cheap, often in poor shape, and often pretty ugly. I just dismantled an old china hutch from the late 1800s that the previous homeowners left in the basement -- because its not worth the time even dragging out and trying to sell. I saved a few of the finished planks and drawer pulls, but otherwise it is a piece of clutter.

·
Premium Member
1,550 Posts
Kids today dont want OLD Tech
Yep, for the most part. They are into newer cars where horsepower can be added from a computer plugged into an OBDII port. To be fair though, in my youth I was into Corvettes and Lamborghinis, not cars from the 30s.

Good luck with your sales. Very sorry to hear about your wife; may you find a place of healing.

·
Registered
885 Posts
Discussion Starter #39
It was just curiosity, not worth extensive research. But thanks.

·
Registered
351 Posts
As of Feb....
2006 - 15249
2007 - SOLSTICE NA-10988; GXP-6763; SKY NA- 9107; Redline-3940
2008 - SOLSTICE NA-6507; GXP-5357; SKY NA- 4162; Redline-7155
2009 - SOLSTICE NA-1540; GXP-1097; SKY NA- 1670; Redline-1960
2010 - SOLSTICE NA-2; GXP-3

2009 Solstice Coupes - NA-342; GXP-530
2010 Solstice Coupes - NA-3; GXP-2

Total cars on road: 75,957(US); 7242(Canada)
Attrition of 1.76% for the last year in the US and 0.35% in Canada.
Highest attrition the last year is the 2009 Coupe NA at 2.793% with a loss of 16 cars in the last year.
Lowest attrition rate, throwing out the negative of -1.5% from the 2009 Coupe GXP, is the 2009 Sky Redline at .452% losing 31 cars.

Please DO NOT ask me to get specific...I can't. I don't have access to anything other then "titled" vehicles.

21 - 40 of 46 Posts