Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone, OK, I have now filled up my Sky 9 times since I bought it. The highest MPG I've gotten is 24.225 when it had 1763 on the ODO. Today at 2232 on ODO I got 19.761 MPG which is the lowest. If I average out all the fill ups, so far, my MPG is working out to be 23.229 MPG, thats using Shell Premium, including the initial fill up at the dealer which was regular. First tank was regular gas--How are you people doing? and are you all monitoring it for a bit at all? I am still keeping track and will continue until I change the oil over to Mobil 1 synthetic (was told factory oil was regular oil)--I'll probably will keep tracking until I feel happy with the results I'm seeing. Probably to at least 10,000 miles I'll be tracking--The fact that this last tank dropped to under 20 MPG concerns me a little, but I suspect it was a burp. The DIC consistantly says from a low of 21.9 to a high of 23.5MPG--I reset it at every fill up to see if its accurate with reality, it ain't--But I expected that-On this weeks result, the actual was 19.761, but the DIC said 23.3--Whats yawl's results and opinion on your fuel economy so far?? This is a 2.4L standard Sky with no mods, stock still, with an automatic BTW--:thumbs:

OH, be advised that when I checked my tire pressure last weekend, the 2 right tires (front/back) were over inflated from the factory, it said 35PSI instead of 29 PSI, the front left was perfect, and the left rear was under, 24PSI, so I suggest yawl check your tire pressure when they are cold--:thumbs: That obviuosly will effect gas mileage--The little things--:lol:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
On our last Keys cruise, I reset the DIC on the way down and was getting over 30 MPG. On the upcoming Ocean Drive parade, I suspect it will be more like 13 in the stop and stop and go forward a bit before stopping and stopping again traffic.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
I haven't been keeping close track, but on the highway I'll get about 28,
but the mix across a tank of gas will have me around 21 to 23.

The tire pressures are something everyone should check on their own post delivery.
They'll certainly change and improve the handling.
Recommeded pressures are 29 all around.

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
At about 65 mph and 2300 rpm i can steadily maintain about 32.5 mpg
At 70 and 2700 rpm it goes down to about 28.6 mpg.
Driving around the nieghborhood with lights and stop signs i'm only averaging around 18.

·
Premium Member
500 Posts
At about 65 mph and 2300 rpm i can steadily maintain about 32.5 mpg. At 70 and 2700 rpm it goes down to about 28.6 mpg. Driving around the nieghborhood with lights and stop signs i'm only averaging around 18.
Another Redline owner I know is getting about the same numbers on the freeway, better than I am doing on my base sky.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I have about 700 miles now. I drove from the dealership in Downers Grove Illinois (Chicago) to home 536 miles and got 23.7 very dissapointed for a small 4 cylinder. Drove interstate about half way at 70mph and the rest was at 55-60 mph. The cruise control was on almost all of the time. It will be better or there will be a new owner.

·
Registered
246 Posts
At about 65 mph and 2300 rpm i can steadily maintain about 32.5 mpg
At 70 and 2700 rpm it goes down to about 28.6 mpg.
Driving around the nieghborhood with lights and stop signs i'm only averaging around 18.
Yes. But are you "Drafting"? :lol:

·
Registered
684 Posts
On the current trip I'm on now I have been getting 29.4 w/o a/c and driving between 75-80 mph. In town driving 25-26 mpg

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Around town (to and from work - just at 10 mi one way) I get 20-22
Highway 27-32

·
Premium Member
7,468 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK, so it looks like we are all about the same, not counting the R/L's. One thing I did not mention, with my mileage numbers the A/C is "always" on. The heat down here with the humidity is intolerable. Of course if we put top down the a/c goes off. We have not had an opportunity yet of going around for a full tank yet with a/c off, I know that effects fuel economy (obviuosly).

ggccg, I wonder, with all the mods you have done to date, do you think it has improved your fuel economy?? Do you use premium or regular?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
ggccg, I wonder, with all the mods you have done to date, do you think it has improved your fuel economy?? Do you use premium or regular?
All the mods: CAI and MagnaFlow dual outlet muffler. But yes, I noticed about a 5+% increase in mpg around town after the CAI. Haven't really given the muffler a fair test yet... most of the miles on it have been highway.

I always use 91+ octane premium. Recently using Shell. Filled up with BP premium after one tank of Shell and it was very noticable decrease in performance from the moment I pulled out of the BP station.

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
re:tire pressure

with low profile tires checking tire pressure NEEDS to be a weelky chore; I had '95 mustang gt w/lo profiles pres went lo I didn't notice it 'cuz sidewalls are so stiff - blew the tire and with the price of these stock tires better safe than sorry.. my 2 cents

·
Registered
128 Posts
A/c on with the top down makes a big difference in comfort. Try it some time.
Is this true, or are you kidding? I just thought that the A/C with the top down wouldn't really work right. :confused:

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Is this true, or are you kidding? I just thought that the A/C with the top down wouldn't really work right. :confused:
Not kidding. It makes a noticable difference. Try it with the AC on for a bit and then turn it off. You'll see... especially if you're someplace where it's 95 degrees in the afternoon. Don't bother with the "recirculate" feature... that is a waste.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Not kidding. It makes a noticable difference. Try it with the AC on for a bit and then turn it off. You'll see... especially if you're someplace where it's 95 degrees in the afternoon.

Thanks for the idea. I thought for some reason it would just blow out and not help --- but I will indeed give it a try (next summer, I guess). :thumbs: :cheers: And by the way, what do you run it at -- 1 or 2 or on high ?

·
Registered
1,547 Posts
Thanks for the idea. I thought for some reason it would just blow out and not help --- but I will indeed give it a try (next summer, I guess). :thumbs: :cheers: And by the way, what do you run it at -- 1 or 2 or on high ?
With the top up, I normally have the blower on 2 and the temperature 2-3 clicks down from the coldest. Top down, I turn the blower up. It is definitely not as cool as with the top up, but that nice cool breeze in the cockpit sure feels good with the top down on a blazing hot afternoon.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Mpg

My sky is a daily driver. I get around 21 in the city and 28 on the highway. both of these numbers are top down figures.

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
Top is hardly ever up. Freeway trips are infrequent. Most driving is on "California Parkways" that have stoplights but move along at about 45-50 MPH. I make lots of "VROOM" sounds and get about 23.

"Didja ever notice that you drive on a parkway and park on a driveway?"

1 - 20 of 27 Posts