Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Lets take some numbers.... Everyday now a Saturn store gets calls from people who want to buy a SKY.

So lets take the 450 store and round down,say 225 get a call everyday from a person wanting to buy a SKY...

That means in 44 days all 10,000 cars will have found a home.

But you cant forget the people who alredy knew about the SKY before today... The people who left deposits over a year ago...

Also don't forget about the people who will want one over the next year.

Point is... Pricing, mark-ups, and availability are going to get extremely crazy.

Even today over 6 months after the Solstice has been out, they are still selling at auction for more than MSRP.

So if you get a SKY and the price you want... Good for you...Great for you actually...

But remember there will be more mad people than happy owners, so your odds will probably make you one of the un-happy ones.

Just dont get mad at another Happy owner.:cheers:

Unlike the Cabbage Patch dolls, Mustang GT, or PT Cruiser fad... Supply wont reach demand for a long long time...

So Good Luck:thumbs:

·
Registered
68 Posts
Depends on how you see it. Mustang allways looked good to me, all angles.
Why not take the tourqe ride one more time. Fuel will be worse later. Maybe it's not time to settel for the pretender yet. Might be better to let everybody else take that quest for the unobtainable. Then When it's $3.00 a gal. it will be that much better. Herd alot of people say the 600cc sport bike's had enough, never understood that one either?

·
Registered
2,921 Posts
When I spoke to the GM at the local Saturn Dealer today, I asked, If I give you an order today, when would you estimate I would get my Sky" He answered, "Approximately 18 months. We have more confirmed orders with deposits than our entire 2007 allocation for our 4 dealerships".

Me: "Are you going to charge markups?"
GM: "Our policy right now is MSRP, but that could change"

Me: "If I gave you a deposit today, would you give me a guarantee in writing of MSRP?"
GM: "No, we are not guaranteeing any pricing."

Me: "Sure am glad I'm already driving a Solstice, and my 2nd Sol will be here before the end of the summer."

They're all nice guys, and they've all liked their ride in my Solstice, and they sure hope their Sky is going to be as much fun as the Sol.

·
Registered
128 Posts
I am #2 at my dealership and was told that my Sky will run $25,130.00, I want this car but I don't need it, if the dealer jacks the price up then I will go to plan B, a CTS, and I will get the GM discount, when you have options, you can have it your way.
jacwag

·
Registered
326 Posts
They will loose me also

jacwag said:
I am #2 at my dealership and was told that my Sky will run $25,130.00, I want this car but I don't need it, if the dealer jacks the price up then I will go to plan B, a CTS, and I will get the GM discount, when you have options, you can have it your way.
jacwag
Yep, I refuse to pay more. This is a toy, and the only reason I'm getting one is the LOW PRICE. If they raise the price, foget it!!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
silverbugeye said:
Even today over 6 months after the Solstice has been out, they are still selling at auction for more than MSRP.
So Good Luck:thumbs:
what auction is still selling sols's for over msrp?
anyone paying more is crazy. there are quite a few in my area that have been sitting on the lot.

there are 25 sol's for sale within 75 miles of my zipcode... all at msrp.

I suspect the same thing will happen with the sky. After 6 months go buy, prices will be msrp for everyone.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
usmc said:
anyone paying more is crazy. there are quite a few in my area that have been sitting on the lot.

I suspect the same thing will happen with the sky. After 6 months go buy, prices will be msrp for everyone.
yep same thing around here, anyone paying more than MSRP for a Solstice now is definately getting taken for a ride.......so to speak..

·
Registered
4,329 Posts
I will be paying a little more than MSRP because of buying the extended warranty package, I will will not get the upcharge becasue of my status at the dealer, expecting to pay 29K with extended warranty package, It doesn't matter, cause whatever I pay,it is less money I have to pay the government, unless I get the tax write off I am working towards.:D Offsetting the capitol gains tax I am saddled with.:brentil:

ERNEST:thumbs:

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
When you get extended warranty that does not mean you are paying over MSRP. The car is still being sold to you at MSRP...it is just that you decided to get some "extras"

·
Registered
1,267 Posts
CdnSkyGuy said:
When you get extended warranty that does not mean you are paying over MSRP. The car is still being sold to you at MSRP...it is just that you decided to get some "extras"
I wouldn't say so, just as I wouldn't say so if I added options that put it over the base price. As long as the options are in line with what is usually on the sticker.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,238 Posts
Like almost everyone else responding, if my dealer told me the price was going to be jacked above MSRP I'd let the car go. It's a toy! I like the look of the car but if I had money to throw around the Sky wouldn't be the car I'd spend my money on.

I like the Sky because I like the look, it's a two seater roadster and it's cheap. Change anyone of those things and the car sits on the showroom floor.

And as noted by others I to have seen 3-4 Solstii sitting in dealer showrooms. If you want one at MSRP look a little harder because they are out there!:cheers:

·
Registered
474 Posts
usmc said:

Just because Pontiac.com vehicle locator shows that there are 25 cars within your area does not necessarily mean that all are for stock - many time sold orders have been listed, don't know why. Also, this is Pontiac's site - of course they are going the list the car at MSRP. Go to the dealer's web page - do they have that exact car list there also? Is it still at MSRP? The reason for my questions is that from everything that I've been hearing, nearly every CA dealer is charging anywhere from $3k to $5k over MSRP.

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Kappa Fan said:
Just because Pontiac.com vehicle locator shows that there are 25 cars within your area does not necessarily mean that all are for stock - many time sold orders have been listed, don't know why. Also, this is Pontiac's site - of course they are going the list the car at MSRP. Go to the dealer's web page - do they have that exact car list there also? Is it still at MSRP? The reason for my questions is that from everything that I've been hearing, nearly every CA dealer is charging anywhere from $3k to $5k over MSRP.
Well, I thought about what you said and decided, ya... ok... so outta 25 cars at multiple dealers... they can't all be at markup. I had some downtime here so I started calling the dealership starting with the closest ones to my house.

and holy cr*p if not every single dealer I called wasn't doing markup (I called 5 different dealers) one dealer has 6 sols on the lot !!! I was point blank with them since I have nothing to lose. I acted like I was interested in the Sol to keep them talking. So I told them... thats BS!!... 6 months after initial release and you expect to get markup??? some of the cars had been sitting for a few weeks but others only a few days. all of them were going for 3k markup except one dealer who only had 1 sol.

They pretty much said if I could find a pontiac dealer that wasn't charging markup in this area.. they would be very surprised... and I guess he was right. I got tired of calling. some of them did say, "let me talk to the mgr" but I said unless u get it at msrp then don't bother calling me back. They said "then you'll be waiting awhile longer". hehehe

the one dealer (the guy who had 1 sol) was going for 6k over!!! I started laughing when he said that and I told him he was nuts cause there were about 10 in this area at 3k. he then dropped it to 3k.

the last dealer I called was cool, I ended up telling him I was on the list for a sky and he had tons of questions so I told him what I knew. He asked if Saturn dealers were upcharging and I told ya, that some were. He couldn't believe it, he was very surprised that saturn dealers were doing this. I think that is going to be the general feeling when joe blow walks in off the street to buy a sky and is told 3-5k over. saturn is going to trash their own "people first" reputation (which is all they had going for themselves up till now)

anyway, long story.... kappa Fan--- no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't prove you wrong...... this time. :lol: :cheers:

·
Registered
474 Posts
usmc said:
Well, I thought about what you said and decided, ya... ok... so outta 25 cars at multiple dealers... they can't all be at markup. I had some downtime here so I started calling the dealership starting with the closest ones to my house.

and holy cr*p if not every single dealer I called wasn't doing markup (I called 5 different dealers) one dealer has 6 sols on the lot !!! I was point blank with them since I have nothing to lose. I acted like I was interested in the Sol to keep them talking. So I told them... thats BS!!... 6 months after initial release and you expect to get markup??? some of the cars had been sitting for a few weeks but others only a few days. all of them were going for 3k markup except one dealer who only had 1 sol.

They pretty much said if I could find a pontiac dealer that wasn't charging markup in this area.. they would be very surprised... and I guess he was right. I got tired of calling. some of them did say, "let me talk to the mgr" but I said unless u get it at msrp then don't bother calling me back. They said "then you'll be waiting awhile longer". hehehe

the one dealer (the guy who had 1 sol) was going for 6k over!!! I started laughing when he said that and I told him he was nuts cause there were about 10 in this area at 3k. he then dropped it to 3k.

the last dealer I called was cool, I ended up telling him I was on the list for a sky and he had tons of questions so I told him what I knew. He asked if Saturn dealers were upcharging and I told ya, that some were. He couldn't believe it, he was very surprised that saturn dealers were doing this. I think that is going to be the general feeling when joe blow walks in off the street to buy a sky and is told 3-5k over. saturn is going to trash their own "people first" reputation (which is all they had going for themselves up till now)

anyway, long story.... kappa Fan--- no matter how hard I tried, I couldn't prove you wrong...... this time. :lol: :cheers:
That's why everyone who has placed an order for a Sky needs to make sure that somewhere, some how, it states that they will be getting their's at MSRP - no un-ordered extras, no dealer's surcharges, no market-vaule markup.

In California it is tough to find MSRP on a Solstice - here in the Pittsburgh area I only know of 3 dealers that have sold at MSRP. The Pontiac dealer that I dealt with also has a sister Saturn site so I am sure that they will be MSRP too!

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
the good news of my long story is that I know of 3 dealerships in my area (all owned by the same guy) who is selling at msrp.. no bs.

they finalized that decision on Monday at a "regional meeting"

So I think I'm home free as far as that goes.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts