Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It is my understanding that the SKY is only produced in the Wilmington DE assembly plant. How many can they produce in one day? Ordered my silver graphite on May 28th. Haven't heard a thing.

·
Registered
804 Posts
My understanding is about 150, but I am not positive if that is Sol's and Sky's or just Sky's... Someone else will be able to give you an exact shortly.

·
Premium Member
2,602 Posts
Kustomkaps said:
My understanding is about 150, but I am not positive if that is Sol's and Sky's or just Sky's... Someone else will be able to give you an exact shortly.
Lacking someone more knowledgable, I can offer up that June Sky prodution was 1551 units.
Don't know if that was still on the 5 day workweek, or 6.

If that was a 5 day work week, that's roughly 70 Skys/day.
If the whole month was 6 day work weeks, thats 59.

The 150 count could be about right for all Kappa production.

We should have better answers coming right along...

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
I thought the plant was operating 6 days a week.....:confused:

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Don't know if my post went thru. Hope I'm not repeating myself. Seems like we shouldn't have to wait so long at that rate. Can't wait for some top down driving. I never owned a rag top.

Was I correct that the SKY AND SOL are only assembled in Delaware?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Dale Ream said:
Don't know if my post went thru. Hope I'm not repeating myself. Seems like we shouldn't have to wait so long at that rate. Can't wait for some top down driving. I never owned a rag top.

Was I correct that the SKY AND SOL are only assembled in Delaware?
Correct that both autos are built in wilmington as well as Opel Gt. Skip...go back through threads to find this out..Not wanting to be mean but to instruct on HOW TO FIND ANSWERS on this forum...:)

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Solstice, Solstice GXP, Sky, Sky Redline, Opel GT, and the Daewoo G2X are made at this plant.

·
Registered
1,219 Posts
brentil said:
Solstice, Solstice GXP, Sky, Sky Redline, Opel GT, and the Daewoo G2X are made at this plant.
A busy plant indeed.....

·
1st Known SKY RedLine Owner!
1,012 Posts
i stopped by the plant today, there was hundreds in the lot, trucks full moving out too, i got pics. Need to re-size them tho since my camera is 7.2

Attachments

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
skyepilot said:
how many would it take to flood the market?

when people find they lack power, and the novelty has worn off because there are so many in the area, hmmmmmmmm, maybe if i wait long enough..
That is why GM plans to keep SKY production at around 10,000 a year. Even with a drop of after the first year or two -- hopefully the SKY will eat into the competition enough to sway some trade-ins and, later replenish the original owners with their trade ins. The market for this kind of car is about 100,000 a year and Miata (Rx whatever) owns about 40,000 of it...
With Sol at 20,000 and SKY at 10,000 the market would have some new choices!

·
Registered
422 Posts
Pitcom said:
i stopped by the plant today, there was hundreds in the lot, trucks full moving out too....
That's absolutely normal, with a daily production > 150 and a weekly production > 750 you have to store in the lot between 2 days and 1 weeks production to have a smooth transport logistic (numbers for all Kappas).
Here you can see the total production over the last year now full three shift production the last three month
http://www.skyroadster.com/forums/showpost.php?p=79797&postcount=30

·
Registered
422 Posts
Rick Tinley Park said:
That is why GM plans to keep SKY production at around 10,000 a year. Even with a drop of after the first year or two -- hopefully the SKY will eat into the competition enough to sway some trade-ins and, later replenish the original owners with their trade ins. The market for this kind of car is about 100,000 a year and Miata (Rx whatever) owns about 40,000 of it...
With Sol at 20,000 and SKY at 10,000 the market would have some new choices!
Hey Rick,

the 100,000 is the total US market for roadsters, thereof the Miata/MX5 had about 20,000 I think, that's half of the world-wide production of ~ 40,000 MX5.
From my look out of Europe it seems that Mazda tries to raise the sales volume in Europe (there is a lot of sales promotion in Germany the last months). Thats is for compensation the loss in market share in the USA caused by the upcoming Kappas I think.
The other reaction of Mazde is to start with the retractable hardtop. Or see BMW starting the Coupe to compensate decreasing roadster sales.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts