Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I like shopping on e-bay because a value is set by demand. High demand - High price low demand low price. Go to Solstice on e-bay and you will see plenty on there not coming close to selling. Don't get me wrong I love the Sky and Solstice. My Solstice is coming in Feb-March no mark up. I have a deposit on Sky. They say my order will go in second at dealership and signed guaranteeing March delivery.
If you read the threads here just about everyone is the first to top five at there dealerships. Some of you go to the same dealers. Is the demand that G.M. claims real or a illusion?

·
Registered
1 Posts
I live in Columbia, SC. They had the Sky there today on display. They had a list up with all the people who had put down a deposit. It had 14 people who had put down a deposit. They guy from Saturn(not from the dealership) said that that was a high number. So I would think the demand will be high. I am going to put a deposit down in the next two weeks.

·
Registered
242 Posts
Lonpalm said:
I live in Columbia, SC. They had the Sky there today on display. They had a list up with all the people who had put down a deposit. It had 14 people who had put down a deposit. They guy from Saturn(not from the dealership) said that that was a high number. So I would think the demand will be high. I am going to put a deposit down in the next two weeks.
I was there today, myself....yes....I was a drooler........welcome aboard!

·
Registered
110 Posts
"I like shopping on e-bay because a value is set by demand. High demand - High price low demand low price. Go to Solstice on e-bay and you will see plenty on there not coming close to selling."
I've been monitoring Solstice and Miata sales on Ebay for several months now. Up until a couple weeks ago, it was a fact that Solstice cars
were selling for between $3000 and $5000 over list. All of them sold. Then
there were a lot more flooding onto the auction and prices softened and some never reached their seller's reserve. Some sellers were making ridiculous
Buy-It-Now prices of $35K. Cars still sold for thousands over list, but some did not. The highest sales price I saw was for $27,500 for a Solstice with $22,500 MSRP. Quite a few did sell at or above $27K.
As to the new Miata, there have been several new ones
listed by Mazda dealers and I didn't see any of them sold as of last week.
Some older 2005 models with a couple thousand miles didn't get bids within
$7500 of their original MSRP. One car's highest bid wasn't within $10K of its MSRP - it had about 3K on the odometer. Miata sales in the North American market have been on the skids the past 5-6 years. Last year they sold
9300 in NA, whereas during their peak years they would sell over 40K in this
market. This year thru end of August they had only sold 4300 in US and Canada.

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
The main problem was that in it's peak the Miata was really the only affordable Roadster on the market. Now there's a fairly decent ~$30k Roadster market that feeds people's needs without having to buy a Miata. The Solstice being in the same price point and being it's first model year now offers people a fairly competively priced car with in my opinion better looks.

·
Registered
111 Posts
The issue as I see it is availability. I understand the eBay information, but I don't think it's completely valid because most of the "public" does not even know of the Sky or even the Solstice. I have only just begun to see any Pontiac advertising on TV for their 'new' cars and the Solstice is just one of three (as I remember). So, until and unless Pontiac and Saturn decide to let the world on the secret, demand will not be 'over the top'.

Just one guys opinion who is now on the fence because delivery of the Sky appears to be eroding from their original Spring release. I can buy an MX-5 today with 6-speed and not worry about a dealer premium. Hmm, makes me wonder.

·
Registered
245 Posts
when i was checking around for a dealer to go put a deposit at, I couldn't find a single dealership in BC that had a number lower than 15... most around 18-20. I finally found a dealership in Calgary, AB, that only had 2-3, because they are taking $1000 deposits... so looks like i'll be taking a short trip to put my deposit down in the next month or so.

·
Registered
745 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Dreamers

You make a very valid point about lists at dealers with no deposit required.
They have a longer list than ones that take deposits. The reason could be people putting in multiple orders at different dealers and the the dreamers.
The Dreamers who go in without the possiblity of affording a Kia let alone a Sky. If the the Dealers implemented a 1000.00 deposit like you said the lists would go down in numbers. That would be good for us getting the car with the options we want but it wouldn't make marketing sense to G.M. . There job is to create demand.

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
You make a very valid point about lists at dealers with no deposit required.
They have a longer list than ones that take deposits. The reason could be people putting in multiple orders at different dealers and the the dreamers.
The Dreamers who go in without the possiblity of affording a Kia let alone a Sky. If the the Dealers implemented a 1000.00 deposit like you said the lists would go down in numbers. That would be good for us getting the car with the options we want but it wouldn't make marketing sense to G.M. . There job is to create demand.
I got the distinct impression from my dealer (no deposit) that once we sat down to order the car, you will be putting a deposit on it. That will eliminate any "dreamers". So if you sign up at a dealer with 18 on the list with no deposit, or sign with a deposit at a place with 3 -- you still may end up as #2 on the list.
Also -- since the cars will be ordered and built (for the most part) - the order that your paid (deposit) contract is entered is when your car will be built. So you may be #1 at your dealer but 225 in line.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mhw745 said:
I can buy an MX-5 today with 6-speed and not worry about a dealer premium. Hmm, makes me wonder.
yet you will end up with a car that a million other people have that you will see around every corner... And with Boreing styling to boot...

·
Registered
111 Posts
SkyMan 07 said:
yet you will end up with a car that a million other people have that you will see around every corner... And with Boreing styling to boot...
You make a valid point, but since I live in S. Fl and can drive with the top down most of the year, hurricanes notwithstanding, my quandry is time and availability. I am not getting any younger and, frankly, the Miata isn't an ugly car, but it's not the Sky.

·
Registered
1,073 Posts
I'm keepin mine, for sure!!! I cannot even fathom the thought of buying it and selling it. No way no sir. I am so excited about this car. When I get it, I can't imagine not loving it and I'm not in it for the business, I'm in it for the sheer pleasure of it....... I have shivers.... :D

·
Registered
275 Posts
Imaging number?

Has any of ya'll that have put down a deposit been told you'll be waiting on when your particular dealership gets an imaging number? I put down my $500 last week and was told that sometime in December we'll know where we stand once this happens and that the car could be built as soon as January. My car guy called today to say that as yet he hasn't heard anything but might hear sooner than the anticipated December time. I live in Houston and interest already seems pretty high and I think we're finally getting one down here sometime before Christmas to see up close at Saturn of Houston. I can't wait but was a bit sad that Bluestone isn't available right away! Alas! Silver graphite is lovely and will do nicely....

·
Registered
185 Posts
Eye on Sky said:
I have a deposit on Sky. They say my order will go in second at dealership and signed guaranteeing March delivery.
If you read the threads here just about everyone is the first to top five at there dealerships. Some of you go to the same dealers. Is the demand that G.M. claims real or a illusion?
Outside this forum, very few people even know about the Sky yet. The Solstice is just beginning to get exposure by being seen on the streets. I think most people who heard of a Solstice saw it on The Apprentice. Nothing has been done to advertise the Sky yet. Many Solstice fans are in agreement with that approach, as there are still lots of angry fans who were peaved at GM for advertising the Solstice when there were still none or so few available for purchase.

I expect, once the Sky is available, advertising will pick up and demand will skyrocket (no pun intended :D ).

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Patience, a calm endurance without complaint. Patience is a virtue. Patience is what makes us Sky lovers solid. If you don't have patience than all you got is hurry. Me I'm 55 years old and have learned about patience. I have learned how to soak up everything around me. Sure I want a Sky, but I know that patience is required. Be the tortoise not the hare. But if you want a miata or some other same brand than jump on it with both feet. Me I will wait and savor the dream of a SKY. :cheers: :cheers:

·
Registered
4,876 Posts
Skip said:
Patience, a calm endurance without complaint. Patience is a virtue. Patience is what makes us Sky lovers solid. If you don't have patience than all you got is hurry. Me I'm 55 years old and have learned about patience. I have learned how to soak up everything around me. Sure I want a Sky, but I know that patience is required. Be the tortoise not the hare. But if you want a miata or some other same brand than jump on it with both feet. Me I will wait and savor the dream of a SKY. :cheers: :cheers:
Something about age...
As another 55 year old -- we sound alike! :cheers:

·
Premium Member
802 Posts
I know what you guys are talking about. I'm 61 and am waiting patiently for a RL SKY. My last roadster was a 59 MGA. I was only 19 and had a great time in that car. :cheers: My RedLine will be my last fun car before I have to get a Buick. :banghead:

·
Registered
802 Posts
Skip said:
Patience, a calm endurance without complaint......bs
I am 66 years old and I cannot wait...love that little car
I can't wait to get behind the wheel! I would like a hardtop for it though. Even though I am in Southern California we do have some cold weather and rain.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
jimbo said:
Outside this forum, very few people even know about the Sky yet. The Solstice is just beginning to get exposure by being seen on the streets. I think most people who heard of a Solstice saw it on The Apprentice. Nothing has been done to advertise the Sky yet. Many Solstice fans are in agreement with that approach, as there are still lots of angry fans who were peaved at GM for advertising the Solstice when there were still none or so few available for purchase.

I expect, once the Sky is available, advertising will pick up and demand will skyrocket (no pun intended :D ).
The Sky has been advertized, I have seen the commercial several times now, the first two times were on the MTV awards, No i didn;t watch the awards i just recorded them and then skipped through all the BS to get the good stuff... The SKY commercial.. since then i have seen it a during a couple other shows.

·
Registered
2,950 Posts
mhw745 said:
You make a valid point, but since I live in S. Fl and can drive with the top down most of the year, hurricanes notwithstanding, my quandry is time and availability. I am not getting any younger and, frankly, the Miata isn't an ugly car, but it's not the Sky.
I never said the Miata was ugly, just BORING..... :lol:

1 - 20 of 22 Posts