Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know how much the factory polished or chrome wheels weigh on a SKY?

I'm shopping for aftermarket wheels for my REDLINE SKY - and I want to make sure I dont buy wheels that are heavier than stock.

Any help is appreciated.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
About 25-26 pounds. I recently had some shipped to me and I recall that was the weight. Most every 18" aftermarket wheel is at or below 25 pounds. If you want wheels under 20 pounds the list is short.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
About 25-26 pounds. I recently had some shipped to me and I recall that was the weight. Most every 18" aftermarket wheel is at or below 25 pounds. If you want wheels under 20 pounds the list is short.
I was told by a rep from the company that makes (or MADE?) the wheels that the SKY wheels are about 1 lb heavier than the Solstice wheel.

I believe this makes snaponbob's weights pretty darn accurate.

http://www.solsticeforum.com/forum/showpost.php?p=102892&postcount=6

The rep also said that the chroming process has a lot of variation in it, so they leave the ability to "double" chrome the wheels if there are imperfections the first time around. Each time they are chromed, it adds about 1lb to the wheel, so starting with a 25 lb wheel, you may even end up with one of the wheels approaching 27 1/2 lbs, if it went through twice.

·
Registered
295 Posts
i bought a set of chrome wheels and tires..total weight was 50 lbs each....also i have 3 polished alum.wheels with tires on them that im going to sell ..anyone wants a spare pm me...thanks

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
My polished Solstice wheels weigh exactly 23 lbs each on a digitial scale.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
My polished Solstice wheels weigh exactly 23 lbs each on a digitial scale.
Wow - I was on tirerack.com looking at wheels - and they have a set of wheels they call lightweight at 26 pounds.

Are the wheels on the solsitce/sky that lightwieght -- where most replacement wheels are going to be heavier than stock?

·
Premium Member
2,360 Posts
Wow - I was on tirerack.com looking at wheels - and they have a set of wheels they call lightweight at 26 pounds.

Are the wheels on the solsitce/sky that lightwieght -- where most replacement wheels are going to be heavier than stock?
I think light weight is a term loosely thrown around by a lot of wheel makers. However you have to keep in mind when you start getting into the 18" and up sized wheels, especially wider ones like ours at 8" wide that's a lot of metal. The true light weight wheels weigh 18.5 lbs each and are pretty expensive at $330 for the OZ brand and $490 for the SSR brand wheels. The other wheels are cheaper which usually results from using cheaper heavier metals. Not many companies are making wheels for our cars yet, and they're also low volume cars so there's not much incentive for tons of makers to jump to our cars yet.

·
Registered
2,245 Posts
:lol:

my other favorite is "close ratio". Seems like EVERY transmission is "close ratio" :rolleyes: :lol:
Very close. What, maybe an inch or so??:lol: :crazy: :lol:

·
Registered
53 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I think light weight is a term loosely thrown around by a lot of wheel makers. However you have to keep in mind when you start getting into the 18" and up sized wheels, especially wider ones like ours at 8" wide that's a lot of metal. The true light weight wheels weigh 18.5 lbs each and are pretty expensive at $330 for the OZ brand and $490 for the SSR brand wheels. The other wheels are cheaper which usually results from using cheaper heavier metals. Not many companies are making wheels for our cars yet, and they're also low volume cars so there's not much incentive for tons of makers to jump to our cars yet.
I love the SSR GT3 wheels in graphite. I'm trying to find some that will fit the sky - and have been unsuccessful. :(

·
Registered
92 Posts
The only way I was able get Wider and Lighter wheels was to go custom. I went with Iforged. 19x9.5 (~20 lbs) in the back and 19x8.5 (~19 lbs) in the front. They are 3 piece wheels with HyperGunmetal finish and polished lip. The full set with 275/35/19 and 255/35/19 Toyo T1R tires mounted and ballanced will run about $4200.

Check them oput here

http://www.iforged.com/v3/wheels_detail.php?WhID=24

1 - 11 of 11 Posts