Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I called my saturn dealership today and asked how much for an oil change. They told me it was about 40.00 bucks for regular oil and about 100.00 for syn!!!!

now, I know mobil 1 sys is about 6-7.00 a quart and the regular oil is probably about 3.00.

how does that come out to 100.00 bucks for an oil change???

I called the pontiac dealership just down the road to compare and he said 90.00. when I went "whoa!" he said, the syn oil change for a sol/sky uses about $55-$60.00 in oil.

I hung up. My sky would have to hold 8 qts of oil @ 7.00 a quart to reach 55.00-60.00!!

so anyway, what have you all paid for a mobil 1 synthetic oil change?

·
Registered
669 Posts
My dealer charges $70.00 for a Mobil 1 change, but will let you go buy the Mobil 1 at (another place) and bring it in. Then the oil change is about $25. (including filter and oil disposal fee)

·
Registered
684 Posts
Walmart here in central fl, you can get a 5 qt container of Moile 1 5W30 for $21.00. Then go to your Saturn Dealership and pick up a flyer for a $19.95 oil change coupon.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I bought the 5 quart container of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil at walmart for 24.95 and the dealer charged me around 18.00 for the labor :thumbs:

I even got to watch them put it in...:D

I wonder if some of these dealers with the overpriced oil change's are the same ones with the overpriced Sky's ?:mad:

·
Registered
684 Posts
I bought the 5 quart container of Mobil 1 Synthetic oil at walmart for 24.95 and the dealer charged me around 18.00 for the labor :thumbs:

I even got to watch them put it in...:D

I wonder if some of these dealers with the overpriced oil change's are the same ones with the overpriced Sky's ?:mad:
No matter where you go, if they have to supply it...your gonna pay more. We have 4 Saturn Ion Red Lines with superchargers. They actually have to disconect a intercooler fill neck and move it aside just to be able to gat at the filter ( it's ontop and under the supercharger ) They charge 89.95 including oil and the filter. But they were the ones who suggested I buy the oil and theire charge for the filter and labor.....$19.9

·
Registered
144 Posts
I called my saturn dealership today and asked how much for an oil change. They told me it was about 40.00 bucks for regular oil and about 100.00 for syn!!!!

now, I know mobil 1 sys is about 6-7.00 a quart and the regular oil is probably about 3.00.

how does that come out to 100.00 bucks for an oil change???

I called the pontiac dealership just down the road to compare and he said 90.00. when I went "whoa!" he said, the syn oil change for a sol/sky uses about $55-$60.00 in oil.

I hung up. My sky would have to hold 8 qts of oil @ 7.00 a quart to reach 55.00-60.00!!

so anyway, what have you all paid for a mobil 1 synthetic oil change?

100 bucks and thats completely normal, I guess you never had a syn oil change before thats a completely normal price, be glad you don't own a high end car like a jag or porsh mercedes. My syn oil change on my 06 x type jag is $140.

·
Registered
273 Posts
I paid $27 for 6 quarts of mobil 1 from costco $6 for filter from the dealer because no one else had them and did it my self. So $33 for the oil change and I have 1 quart left for the next time. I like changing my own oil it give you a chance to take a close look at your car to check other fluids tire wear etc.

·
Registered
233 Posts
I just had another oil change last week at my dealer...

He charged me 15.95 for the oil change if I brought in the oil
I got a 5 quart container from WallMart for 23.00.

Or they charge 49.95 if they supply the Mobil 1.

·
Registered
1,421 Posts
I brought in my own Mobil 1 syn (paid 4.99 a quart at Pep Boys) and my dealer charged me $18 total for the labor, filter, and taxes. :thumbs:

·
Registered
1,298 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
100 bucks and thats completely normal, I guess you never had a syn oil change before thats a completely normal price, be glad you don't own a high end car like a jag or porsh mercedes. My syn oil change on my 06 x type jag is $140.
nope, never used syn before. Thats why I'm asking.

100.00 maybe normal but what a rip!

I think I'll try what others have done and buy the oil myself and only pay for labor. If that doesn't work then I'll do my own oil change. I used to change the oil in all my cars, guess I've just gotten lazy over the years. Oil is oil, if its 6.00 a qt for my sky, its 6.00 a qt for that jag. Unless there is extra labor involved or an extra expensive filter.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I paid $27 for 6 quarts of mobil 1 from costco $6 for filter from the dealer because no one else had them and did it my self. So $33 for the oil change and I have 1 quart left for the next time. I like changing my own oil it give you a chance to take a close look at your car to check other fluids tire wear etc.
Tell us about the experience of changing the oil. I like to change my own oil also. How difficult is it?

·
Registered
804 Posts
On my other cars I also use the synthetic oils and it costs me $44 at the quick change places.

·
Registered
72 Posts
1st Oil Change

I just returned from my Saturn dealer getting my first ever oil change on my Sky. I had a dealer coupon for $10 off a regular change. I requested they use Mobile 1 and confirmed that they did before settling my bill. They changed the oil and filter, reset the computer for 100% oil life and inspected several things.

My wonderful, great Austin, TX Saturn dealer charger $55.82 and that included the sales tax.

Jim

·
Premium Member
921 Posts
On my other cars I also use the synthetic oils and it costs me $44 at the quick change places.
Didn't Frontline, Dateline, 60 minutes or somebody just do a special on those quick changes places and how they mix the more expensive oils with the less expensive oils to sorta water the good stuff down and raise their profits?:eek:

·
Registered
273 Posts
Tell us about the experience of changing the oil. I like to change my own oil also. How difficult is it?
Oil change is very easy,the only tricky part is making sure you jack the car up right. I bought a hockey puck and put a eyebolt in the middle. You insert the eyebolt into the slot under the car at it's proper lifting point and then turn the puck which keeps it locked in place. Then use a floor jack and jack up touching the puck and not the car. The oil filter is easy to get to because you get that from the top. The only person beside's me to lift my car is the dealer, and of course they screwed it up. I don't plan on letting any oil change place lift the car I will save the money and do it myself.

·
Registered
358 Posts

My Jag holds 9 quarts of oil. I pay about 45.00. I have only used oil. My Sky will go for Syn. I will take the oil for an oil change to my own mechanic. I have always found dealerships to be way overpriced for services.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Would like to do my own Mobil 1 change when my car gets to 5K (already had the oil changed with dino oil at 1300 miles) Has anyone used those plastic ramps to get the vehicle up in the air? The set I own has done my Avalanche, Lumina, Lebaron and Roadmaster estate wagon with no damage to any, but I am worried about damage to this car. Pictures would be great if you have them. I am particularily concerned about the exhaust extension getting jacked up on the concrete when you back the car down the ramp.

Thanks!

1 - 20 of 24 Posts