Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Finally getting around to posting this. Thought from the well document thread on our sister site I would need to drop the wheel found out. that was not the case.

First remove trim panel from side of IP and remove 2 screws holding trim panel as seen in this pic

Now move under the dash. First pop the 3 trim holders/ christmas tree fastners that hold the hush panel in

Now drop that panel out of the way, and in the same place you have revealed 3 (could be 2 I forget now) screw heads holding the Ip lower cover in, Remove them.

Now before we pull this panel outs lets get the 3 screws holding the column cover in.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Here are the 3 screws to remove, once out, pull the tilt lock arm down and remove the 2 part lower cover, you might be able to leave the right lower in place, didn't try that.

Ok, lets pull the IP lower trim cover off, grab by the vent on the left, and a on the part on the right of the wheel, just tug hard and it will pop off.

You will see on the left there is a wire (I HATE ELECTRICAL CONNECTORS) so here is pic of the retainer that has to be pulled away from the connector to allow you to pull the wire out. You do not have to remove this wire, I just don't like having the panel hanging by it and could not find a good way to secure.

Now with the wheel tilted down disconnect the 2 electrical plugs on the turn indicator switch.
The white plugs in this picture, you can see the retainer clip on the big one, the small one on top has a retainer on the top (see your replacement one if you need to.

Now the turn indicator box will slide but not out.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,293 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Well, shoot I thought I wasn't going to drop the steering wheel, maybe I need to...

NO just push the switch in a bit and rotate it.

Hmm getting closer.. a little wiggle now

AND in the immortal words of many manuals.. Repeat steps in reverse order to finish the job.

Now BE CAREFUL a few folks have seen the top and bottom trim seperate after reinstallation, and that's cause this loop the clips go into on the lower steering wheel cover trim break. Be Careful.

Attachments

·
Registered
23 Posts
So, I removed and replaced my stalk. Great instructions, by the way! Unfortunately this didn't fix the problem of not cancelling the blinker after the turn is made. Any ideas what the problem is likely to be?

Thanks!

·
Super Moderator
11,401 Posts
The canceling system is in the stalk so what, on the steering wheel, engages the stalk to let it know the wheel has turned past a certain point? That would be the only other item that, if it exists, could be at fault.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Just got done changing out the turn signal lever and the wiper lever. Thank you, this post was fantastic! Once again, so fortunate to have so much good information on this site!

·
Registered
480 Posts
Just a side note you are correct you don't need to drop the column but it only takes a minute longer to do so and make the job a lot easier, the extra room eliminates the fuss of tring to squeese the stock in and out also puting the 3 peice key and stock cover is a lot easier to do before you bolt the column back up. With all of the parts you have removed all you needed to do is use a 13 mm socket and reach up and remove the 2 bolts holding the column up.The column will only drop a couple of inches and only needs to be pushed up over the studs to make the nut installation easy. With the parts you removed it is just a matter of a ratchet, extension and the 13mm socket and the stock will slip right out and in.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts