Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2.5 car garage and swore to my wife that before we got our first Sky that it would fit in the garage. Here is the proof (the last pic is a stitched panoramic so excuse the minor "bow" in the image".

Total cost is just over $200 for the whole thing. $135 for the 6 wheel dollys and $70 at Home depot for 2 - 2"x12"x10' boards, 1 - 2"x12"x8' (cut for 2' ramps and angled supports under the ramps), 2 - heavy duty hinges, and several carriage bolts & 2.5" screws.:thumbs: Platform is 10'x6' to fit the tip-to-tip wheelbase and outside tire width perfectly. (ramps will be this weekends project)

Drive up onto the ramp (with 4"x4" braces up against my concrete garage floor lip), slide it into position, and park the Vue and Outback next to it with PLENTY of space to spare! :thumbs: :cool:

On a good winter day, pull out the Outback, slide over the Sky, back it down the ramp, slide over the ramp, repark the Outback, and away we go in the Sky!!!!:thumbs:

In the summer time, park the Outback outside and prop the platform against the wall with several utility hooks turned downward holding it securely in place.

All in a 24' wide garage.:cheers: :cheers: :cheers: My wife said, "Damn, that's good!" :thumbs:

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
The 21 bikes are safely sleeping the basement bike shop. :)

Sadly, they have been neglected the last 3 weeks while (1) I have gotten over a nasty fight of pnuemonia and (2) I have spent more evenings driving than pedalling.

It's still a good leg workout...and if you drive properly, you can still get your heart rate in the 180 BPM range. :thumbs: :cool:

Attachments

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
this may be a silly question....but why not just use the wheel dollys.....one under each tire?....explain
Good question and the simple answer is that I am generally very lazy (yet will spend 6 total hours building this monster when it is completed :lol: ).

I didn't want to get a low rise jack with Corvette discs and jack it / lower it every time it's a nice winter day. That was actually a slightly higher total cost and this seemed more "unique".

Thus, my alternate solution. The middle casters are simply to disperse the weight as you pull onto the paltform.

Plus, I could double this contraption as a float and push it down the street in the local holiday parade. :lol: :) :D :jester:

·
Registered
202 Posts
That's pretty cool! I'm in the midst of a $10K porch-enclosure to fit the pool table (currently taking the entire garage) so I can put the GTO and Z4 away from the elements.

·
Super Moderator
6,454 Posts
Nice. Simple. Elegant, even. I'm anxious to see it with the Sky on board, and hear how well it works. I could use a similar solution, except that I will have to rotate the car 90 degrees, instead of sliding it sideways.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I had the same problem no room for the SKY so I actually made my garage longer so I could fit two cars in the same garage nose to tail. I also have a lift in my other garage where I store two Corvettes one on top of the other:willy: Two many cars!

·
Registered
141 Posts
I'd like to see more pictures when it's done. Please?!

·
Registered
47 Posts
I had the same problem no room for the SKY so I actually made my garage longer so I could fit two cars in the same garage nose to tail. I also have a lift in my other garage where I store two Corvettes one on top of the other:willy: Two many cars!
Too Many Cars??? Never!!!! That's like saying "Too Much Garlic".:D

·
Registered
366 Posts
Nice idea. One suggestion. I'd put some sort of a standoff on the side closest to the wall. With getting things in that tight you don't want to accidentally cram your mirror into the wall.

·
Registered
994 Posts
Let's see a picture of all three cars in there at once when you get the chance. Do you do house calls?:)

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Nice idea. One suggestion. I'd put some sort of a standoff on the side closest to the wall. With getting things in that tight you don't want to accidentally cram your mirror into the wall.
A standoff that catches the frame of the roll around, down on the floor so yes you don't hit the side closest to the wall....Skip...:lol: :) :)

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Yep, it is already considered...

A standoff that catches the frame of the roll around, down on the floor so yes you don't hit the side closest to the wall....Skip...:lol: :) :)
It's hard to tell but in the first picture on the floor to the leftmost of the picture, you may be able to decipher a couple of green treated 4" x 4" posts on the floor. Those are butted against the lip of the concrete garage base and offer a good 5" (including the extra bit on the concrete lip) from any of the wall studs touching the side of the car. If you carefully look at a Sky, the wheel wells are almost the same outer dimension as the mirror. Thus, push until it hits the posts on the floor and I should be just fine.:thumbs:

I plan to finish the ramps and actually pull her onto the platform Friday night. I'll take final pics of the empty platform, pics of loading the Sky, and pics with the Sky in place with her big brother Vue and cousin Outback next to her.:thumbs:

Thank you for all the kind comments. If anyone want directions, individual component costs, diagrams, etc... simply PM me and I'll do my best to help.:cheers: If anyone in the local SE WI area wants help building their own, I'd love to offer my services (for a 12-pack of Leinie's Sunset Wheat :cheers: )

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Do you know anybody that will get my gf to clean up the furniture in my garage?...Skip...:lol: :lol: :lol:

·
Registered
323 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Do you know anybody that will get my gf to clean up the furniture in my garage?...Skip...:lol: :lol: :lol:
Well, if we extend the platform by 5 feet to fit in a 24' deep garage, I think we could put another pair of casters under it and a couple of 2"x6" braces across the front. A 1" thick sheet of 4'x8' plywood with some indoor / outdoor carpeting on top and we could fit a loveseat on one side with a TV stand on the other (maybe a small fridge under the stand as well). That way you could sit with your Sky in the garage and watch TV with a cold beverage in a comfortable setting?

See....you don't need to remove the furniture...you just need to find a way to "incorporate" the furniture. :jester:

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
5,953 Posts
Well that is what I like about this forum , new ideas. I thinks that I will tell her that an maybe it will get her out of my house...Skip...:) :cheers: Dang I could put in an intercom an she could bring me dinner...

1 - 20 of 51 Posts