Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi All...

I have to decide really, really quick whether or not to take delivery on a somewhat over priced Sky or wait for the red line. I'm wondering how quick the sky is? I'm not looking to burn up the streets, but a sluggish car annoyes me. I like it to have a good bit of zip.

This one has a standard transmission. I realize this is subjective, but can someone please give me their impressions?

Thanks!

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
It has plenty of spunk.

What do you want to do? Have fun zipping around or embarass cars that cost twice as much? If the former, the SKY will satisfy you. Run it up to near red line before shifting to stay in the torque power curve, and it screams. If you want maximum speed for your ego then the SKY ain't gonna do the trick.

I could not imagine spending the summer without mine.

·
Registered
308 Posts
It's not a slug!

The standard Sky is 177 HP. That's 7 more than a new Miata. It will cruise very easily at 70 mph+. The stock car can feel a little sluggish in the first 2 gears because of the control module program, It controls the throttle electronically. Some owners have remapped the control module and report a much more responsive car. I don't find it to be a problem. With a CAI and running premium fuel, it will chirp the tires nicely when catching 2nd gear. The advantage I see over the redline is that the motor should last longer (less Hp with more displacement = less stress), The ride is going to be more comfortable for cruising, and the technology is already proven. The Redline engine may be great with no problems, but it is the highest output engine GM has ever made (HP per CI). Once the stock engine is broken in, it is quite responsive and likes to rev to 7000RPM. It can also cruise in 5th gear at 1500 RPM and get great gas mileage.

If you feel you need the fastest Sky and are going to play racer with S2000's and Porches, you should get a Redline. :cheers:

·
Registered
248 Posts
Mine just came in today and I took her for my first test drive! The car is hot. I got a few stares and a couple of "nice car" yells but I was not impressed with 1st or 2nd gear pickup. Of course i didnt push her either since i want to break her in right . She had 12miles now shes got 14. Im gonna have to squeeze some more ponies out of this thing ie: CAI and a Cat back exhst. Other than that it was niiiiccccceeee.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thenks guys! That's just the info I was looking for. I don't need a rocket ship. The new Mustangs would fit that bill, or a S2000 as someone said. I just didn't want it to be sluggish. I have a Jeep Wrangler '97 with a 190hp engine that is pretty slugish.

If this car can get out of it's own way, let me pass trucks on the highway and handle curves nicely then I'll be happy with the performance.

I'll do some searching about the control module and "remapping." That sounds interesting and potentially warrently voiding :)

Now I just need to decide if I want to spend the extra $2,260 in dealer markup over MSRP plus pay for the dealer added options (Lojack, interior protection and paint protection) which add up to another $1,800 :(

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
3,491 Posts
migg750 said:
Im gonna have to squeeze some more ponies out of this thing ie: CAI and a Cat back exhst. Other than that it was niiiiccccceeee.
I have a Cat Back (dual outlet) and CAI. This car is a HOOT! You'll love the results.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
jdigiant said:
I have a Cat Back (dual outlet) and CAI. This car is a HOOT! You'll love the results.
What's a CAI?

·
First 2000 Sr. Member
1,287 Posts
Cai

jarcher said:
What's a CAI?
It's the Cold Air Intake. A higher performance air intake filter system

·
Registered
478 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Seagull said:
It's the Cold Air Intake. A higher performance air intake filter system
Oh, is it like a K&N filter that has better air flow? How much power can something like that add?

·
Super Moderator
11,446 Posts
It's more than that. It replaces the entire intake assembly from the air filter to the throttle body on the engine. It should add anything from 3 to 10 HP depending on the intake and filter. Kappasphere mentioned that their CAI and exhaust added 10 hp each on their own and added 14 hp when used together.

The Sky is not going to be "fast" but it is quick and has enough power to get out of its own way. Lord knows I've driven much worse power wise. Just remember when you're on the freeway and need to pass that you need to downsift into 3rd from 5th...not 4th. This 2.4L ECOTEC really needs to be reved above 4K to be in it's proper power band.

Cornering...yea...nothing I've driven has come close EXCEPT an AWD Turbo Eagle Talon...and I'm almost inclined to say the Sky still handles better in the dry. It really is phenominal but with a 11 year gap between driving the two cars I'm not going to stake my rep on it. But the Sky is just a wonder car when it comes to handling.

·
Registered
2,011 Posts
I'd be more concerned about the $4,060 your dealer is trying to bilk out of you that the cars zip. I would pass if it were me and look for another dealer.

·
Registered
248 Posts
jdigiant said:
Hey Jdigiant is that dual outlet cat back available yet? Have they come up with a template to cut out for the second pipe? Details please!! :D

·
Registered
325 Posts
The base Sky is slow, about as fast as a Honda minivan, Vue RedLine, Cobalt/Ion etc. Much slower then a 350Z, Honda S2000, Subaru WRX, etc..

It's top speed is 123 miles an hour limited by power vs drag, about as much as any other regular car/minivan.

·
Registered
476 Posts
Kappaspher is having a sale right now on our exhaust. Its marked down from $550 to $450. A quick 10hp and great sound. Drone free!!! Check it out. http://www.kappasphere.com/handler.cfm?cat_id=20105&prod_id=1145&function=product

If you have any questions, feel free to ask.

To answer your origonal question, I have driven quite a few cars, and daily a BMW M5. While the sky is no power house, it has deffinitely got some zip and is a pleasure to drive when ever I get the chance.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts