Saturn Sky Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Howdy folks! Thought I'd join your forum, I be picking up one of these little cars tomorrow and I really don't know much about them. I've had other Saturn's and that were very dependable and held up well ( safely anyway) to being demolished by a suburban...

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm very surprised with this car, I honestly went to look at what I thought was going to be a typical lethargic 4 cylinder, front wheel drive, body by Fisher-Price Saturn... I'd only seen a couple of posters at the dealership before they came out, I had no idea what they were...much less what they were capable of...

·
Super Moderator
11,119 Posts
Oh, rstouttx, get ready to drive the Saturn that would have completely changed people's mind on Saturn.

These cars are miniaturized Corvettes. The suspension is very capable and, if you're getting the Redline version, the power is pretty decent too. I am willing to be that there will be a number of times while you own the car that you'll say "I can't believe this was a Saturn!"

Welcome to the forum!

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks! it is a redline, the first time I tried to take it up on the freeway, one idiot wouldn't yield for another twit and they came in my lane, on the approach ramp, I instinctively punch it to get clear and at 45mph, this little car tried to break the back tires loose on me, kinda reminded me of the Sunbeam Tiger I had years ago!

·
Registered
490 Posts
Welcome to the forum. We'll be down your way in December for the Hill Country Xmas Light Tour & then in February for the 3 Sisters Run in Kerrville. Hope to see ya' there.

·
Registered
365 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Well thanks! This little car is comfy enough for events that far, my 38 Buick is geared too low for those distance runs...

·
Registered
5,831 Posts
I'm very surprised with this car, I honestly went to look at what I thought was going to be a typical lethargic 4 cylinder, front wheel drive, body by Fisher-Price Saturn... I'd only seen a couple of posters at the dealership before they came out, I had no idea what they were...much less what they were capable of...
Welcome to the madness. Yeah, the SKY was supposed to be a Saturn halo car to re-vitalize the brand. Since it was off the GM line, it could have been branded under any GM make. GM almost picked Saab instead of Saturn. It did become an Opel, and would have become a Vauxhall too (except the economies of scale didn't allow a right handed drive).

Pedigree wise, the "look" derived from the Vauxhall lightning (which was an evolution of the Opel), which is where the Opel branding came from.

The beauty of the kappa is it was designed from the ground up as a roadster, with true sports car pedigree. Not just look pedigree, but the underneath stuff that really makes it a sports car.

The really nice thing is the beautiful combination of a small dual scroll turbo, DI, VVT, and short gearing. All combined, it delivers a really good punch on the low end, both in terms of torque and gearing. In first gear, the delivered torque is almost equal to a 500HP Vette. We lose the torque battle with the Vette as we run up the gears, but for that brief moment on the low end...it's almost the same punch...at half the power.

Enjoy!

·
Registered
29 Posts
Welcome aboard? Looks like you got a pretty good deal! Just got mine a little over month ago up in Austin. Love it!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts